Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4639 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 433 of 509
22 September 2011 at 8:34pm | IP Logged 
I used to have an active interest in Dutch many years ago, but, but it passed. Much later, I studied German, and got to a much higher level in that than I was ever at in Dutch, although, as others have reported, found I could often read Dutch with a reasonable understanding, from my German knowledge (and perhaps a vestigial memory of learning Dutch). Speaking and listening were another matter of course.

Now, the reason I started with Dutch was because I had met a Flemish girl ... (you'll have heard similar stories of course), and naively, I looked for books on how to learn Flemish in English bookshops (this was late 1960s) and didn't find any. It took me a while to realise that Flemish and Dutch were closely related and that I should be looking for books on how to learn Dutch, which of course I did.

Now, fast forward to the present, and I was interested to read a comment (I think in this thread) saying that if you were going to learn Dutch and Flemish, then you should start with Flemish. Just taking that as a serious comment and assuming it has any merit, can the modern-day learner actually find self-study Flemish books or courses, or do you still have to go the route of learning Dutch (as far as formal courses are concerned)?

I remember reading in the late 60s or 70s, that the universities of Belgium and the Netherlands had agreed that the written form of Flemish and Dutch were officially the same (with some very minor changes). I gather that this is not now actually the case, and they are recognised, even in the written form, as two separate languages. Have I got this right?

I remember my former Flemish girlfriend telling me that at that time, from time to time in Belgium, they would have a special day where everyone (in Flemish speaking Belgium) was supposed to speak "Dutch". Now, I don't know if they meant Netherlands Dutch or "standard Flemish" (as opposed to the local dialect). Do any Flemings remember this? Does it still happen...? I think that since those days, Flemings have become a bit more assertive about their language within Belgium, and if anything, it would definitely be Flemish "Dutch" they would be celebrating, and not Netherlands Dutch.

I was also interested to read someone's comment that people who know English and German should really not have much of a problem learning Dutch. That being the case, I was wondering about perhaps restarting it at some point, and then got to thinking if it was actually possible to find a specific Flemish course, as opposed to the usual Netherlands-oriented Dutch courses.

1 person has voted this message useful

Aquila
Triglot
Netherlands
Joined 5292 days ago

104 posts - 128 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, German
Studies: French

Message 434 of 509
22 September 2011 at 9:01pm | IP Logged 
Flemish is not very different from the standard Dutch language, only some words and expressions are different in
Flemish. The difference is maybe even smaller then the difference between English and American English. It's the
accent which is the most striking difference between standard Dutch and Flemish. If you want to use Dutch mainly
in Belgium, then I would recommend you to learn the Flemish accent (which is maybe easier to obtain due to the
less guttural sounds) and expressions, but otherwise, i'd go for the Standard Dutch as it is more spoken. And there
are more learning materials in the standard Dutch.
2 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4639 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 

Message 435 of 509
24 September 2011 at 3:55pm | IP Logged 
Aquila wrote:
Flemish is not very different from the standard Dutch language, only
some words and expressions are different in
Flemish. The difference is maybe even smaller then the difference between English and
American English. It's the
accent which is the most striking difference between standard Dutch and Flemish. If you
want to use Dutch mainly
in Belgium, then I would recommend you to learn the Flemish accent (which is maybe
easier to obtain due to the
less guttural sounds) and expressions, but otherwise, i'd go for the Standard Dutch as
it is more spoken. And there
are more learning materials in the standard Dutch.

I wish I could find the posting I was thinking about, but I think basically he was
saying that if you wanted (eventually) to be able to speak (and presumably understand)
both the Dutch of the Netherlands, and the Dutch of Flemish-speaking Belgium, then the
order to do it was first Flemish, and then Netherlands-Dutch. Moving in that direction
would be easier (or possible), while moving in the other direction would be difficult
(or impossible). I don't think he fully explained why.

Anyway, presumably, short of moving to Belgium, presumably the best way to learn a
Flemish accent would be to listen/watch Flemish radio and TV on the internet.
Or at least one way. Can you be sure that by picking a Dutch Belgian radio or TV
station at random, you will actually be hearing Flemish, or are some more oriented
towards a more standardised "Dutch"? i.e. is there a "broadcasting Dutch" used in
Belgium that would be acceptable in the Netherlands and Belgium?

I'm guessing there will be regional stations that are definitely Flemish, but then you
have the danger that it will be a fairly obscure dialect, which even some Belgians
would have difficulty with, but the learner wouldn't know that in advance.

So, after a quick google, would VRT be a good choice, for example?

EDIT: I'd forgotten about this useful website:

http://www.listenlive.eu/ and http://www.listenlive.eu/belgium.html

has some useful links. A depressing number of pop/rock and not a lot of speech channels
on show, but that's fairly par for the course. Surprised not to see any news only
channel, at least on a first look.

EDIT2: What I was hoping to find was something along the lines of Deutsche Welle
or BBC Radio 4, or BBC World Service, but no luck so far. Maybe looking for TV would
actually be better although radio is normally my natural medium, given the choice.

Meanwhile, I found this interesting post, and some (in some cases surprising
responses), on (of all places) the BBC website:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/yoursay/language_and_identity
/dutchflemish/flemish_far_m
ore_than_a_dialect_of_dutch.shtml

So some Belgians don't like their language to be called "Flemish" (especially the ones
who don't live in West or Oost-Vlaanderen, understandably), and I suppose I should be
no more surprised that national pride is not hurt by referring to their language as
"Nederlands" any more than Americans get upset by calling their language "English".

Leaving that aside, there is still the practical problem of the non-native speaker who
wants to learn the Belgian-Dutch (or Flemish) accent or dialect or whatever we should
call it, and internet radio isn't looking like the best way so far. I have however,
found a few interesting podcasts, and they were definitely Belgian-Dutch and not
Netherlands-Dutch (they didn't clear their throat every time a "g" was spoken :-) ).

EDIT3 Have now found the posting I was referred to earlier. In this thread on
this page:

http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=17864&PN=1&TPN=2

Message 11 of 43614 November 2009 at 4:45pm
------------------------------------------------

I will quote the relevant part:
Quote:

I have heard from foreigners who are living in Antwerpen that it's more difficult to
learn Flemish after you learnt Dutch. They all learnt Dutch in Holland, so they can't
get the Flemish accent. They sound a bit weird, to be honest.

So if anyone ever wants to learn Dutch, I'd recommend to start with the Flemish accent.
Later you can shift to the Dutch accent if you would wish to do so.

Seems to imply that shifting from the Flemish accent to the Dutch accent is simple.
Is it actually?

Edited by montmorency on 25 September 2011 at 2:46am

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4639 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 

Message 436 of 509
25 September 2011 at 12:15am | IP Logged 
Further to my previous ramblings, although I haven't found the post I was talking
about, I've found this one, which gives an interesting Belgian view of Dutch/Flemish:

This thread:
http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=22939&PN=1
This posting:
Message 3 of 612 September 2010 at 10:42pm
------------------------------------------------------------ ---------------
[I'm not posting the text - the following are my own comments:-]

So, the standard Belgian-Dutch that I was trying to think of is called "Algemeen
Belgisch Nederlands (Standard Belgian Dutch)", and I guess that is what one is likely
to hear on mainstream Belgian-Dutch TV and radio, unless it is specifically featuring
regional dialect for whatever reason.

(and that's probably what the Belgian government was trying to get people to speak in
those campaigns of over 40 years ago that my former girlfriend told me about).

It kind of makes sense now, and I suppose ABN represents a kind of Belgian equivalent
of "BBC English", which probably most English people know how to speak, but regionally,
most people don't.

A question for Belgians: Could you, if you wanted (let's say you were acting in a play
or something - I know you wouldn't while travelling in the Netherlands) imitate a
standard Netherlands Dutch accent?

A question for Dutch people: - Could you, if you wanted (let's say you were acting in a
play or something - I know you wouldn't while travelling in Belgium) imitate a standard
Belgian-Dutch accent?

By analogy, I could convincingly imitate a Scottish, Welsh, Irish, Cockney and Geordie
accent, and with a little tuition, I could probably manage Cornish, Birmingham/Black
Country, Norfolk, and maybe a few others. Of course, I would not attempt to do this
while in those areas, as I would be immediately rumbled - especially in Scotland, for
lack of knowledge of dialect vocabulary and expressions, but I might fool an Englishman
who didn't know them better than I did, and I could pass them off say in an amateur
dramatic production.

Would this sort of exercise be as easy between standard Dutch and standard Belgian
Dutch?
(Note that I am studiously avoiding the word Flemish here).

Remster
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 4616 days ago

120 posts - 134 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English
Studies: German, French

Message 437 of 509
30 September 2011 at 12:58pm | IP Logged 
It's basically the same. Most people in the Netherlands and Flanders can communicate without any difficulties. Of course, there are always some dialects/accents somewhere, but that's no different from a ''cowboy'' talking to a ''yankee'' both using strong accents.

No offense intended

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4639 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 

Message 438 of 509
30 September 2011 at 9:48pm | IP Logged 
None, taken.

I suspect that differences, when they occur, are more political than linguistic, and
between the Flemish and French speakers in Belgium, than between the Dutch speakers of
either country.

I had more success finding TV programmes on the internet, than radio, that allowed me
to listen to continuous Belgian-Dutch.   I think I noticed a strong "r" sound, which
perhaps is less noticeable in the Netherlands. Apart from that, it sounded "Dutch", to
my English ears.

Edited by montmorency on 30 September 2011 at 9:49pm

ReneeMona
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5146 days ago

864 posts - 1274 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, EnglishC2
Studies: French

Message 439 of 509
30 September 2011 at 11:25pm | IP Logged 
Heads up, long post ahead. I tried to answer every question you asked and before I
knew it I had written all of this. I hope some (preferably all) of it is useful for you
and that someone from the other side of the border might be able to share their
perspective of things because I wasn't able to answer everything.

When it comes to learning materials, a lot of courses don't seem to take the difference
between Flemish and Dutch as seriously as the different dialects of other languages
like English, French, Spanish, etc. I've never heard of a course that specifies whether
it teaches Dutch or Flemish and the two Assimil courses for Dutch use speakers of both
variants (if I remember correctly, sans peine uses Dutch speakers and
perfectionnement Flemish speakers without ever alerting the learner to the
difference).   

As far as I'm aware, Dutch and Flemish are still considered two dialects of the same
language and the written language is still the same. Some people might rightfully make
a case for various dialects in both countries being in fact regional languages because
they are so different from the standard language but there is no denying that standard
Belgium and Netherlands Dutch are mutually intelligible. When a Flemish speaker appears
on Dutch TV, there is never any question of having subtitles, even though some dialects
in the Netherlands itself are sometimes subtitled when the speaker is actually
perfectly understandable.

From a practical point of view, I would say that for someone who wants to learn both
Flemish and Netherlands-Dutch, learning the in a Dutch->Flemish order would be easier,
simply because most learning materials seem to teach Netherlands Dutch and once you
speak Dutch, it would be relatively easy to expose yourself to Belgian media and pick
up the specific accent and vocab. An argument for the reversed order might be that many
people find Flemish easier to pronounce, since it lacks the hard guttural g and has a
less confusing r. However, if you wanted to learn N-D, you would have to deal with its
sounds eventually so I don't see much point to that approach.

There is not some sort of “mid-Atlantic” accent, so to speak, that is used in both
countries. The accents you hear on Dutch TV and radio may differ but they are all
decidedly N-D and I assume the situation is the same in Flanders.

I can't comment on the question of whether switching from a Flemish accent to a Dutch
accent is easy or easier than the other way around. It seems pretty obvious to me that
once you speak one of the two, the other is going to seem harder to adopt. I can't do a
Flemish accent to save my life but I'm sure there are plenty of people who are more
gifted at imitating accents and who can do a Flemish accent.

Yes, I think that sort of exercise would be just as easy between Netherlands-Dutch and
Belgian-Dutch. It's all a matter of exposure and a here in the Netherlands we are not
exposed to Flemish very often but I'm sure that if I spend a considerable amount of
time living in Belgium, acquired a large amount of Flemish friends or watched a lot of
Belgian TV, I would eventually be able to imitate a Flemish accent quite faithfully,
since there is nothing in the pronunciation that is all that foreign to me.

The Flemish r is more strongly trilled than the average Dutch r (though it varies
enormously between different dialects and accents). To my Dutch ears, Flemish always
sounds more French-influenced; more melodious and softer without the guttural sounds
and the intonation reminds me of French as well.

Edited by ReneeMona on 30 September 2011 at 11:28pm

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4639 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 

Message 440 of 509
03 October 2011 at 1:36am | IP Logged 
ReneeMona,

Thank you for taking the trouble to reply. I don't mind long replies, and in fact
welcome them.

I think I understand your points.

I am glad that I seemed to notice the Flemish "r's" as being a bit different from
Netherland-ish "r's".   I already knew about the "g" difference.

My problem at the moment is that there seems to be a shortage of internet radio, and
not very much internet TV coverage of Flemish (as opposed to Netherlands-Dutch)
language programmes. I am talking, of course, of primarily speech-based programmes. If
I wanted to listen to DJs jabbering in between (mostly English language) pop music,
then I suppose I would have no shortage, but of continuous, serious, or at last semi-
serious speech, there seems to be very little, at least findable by google.

Anyway, it was interesting to get your "take" on this. Thanks again for your time.

Best wishes,

M.

This discussion contains 509 messages over 64 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version