Joined 5146 days ago

864 posts - 1274 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, EnglishC2
Studies: French

Message 337 of 509
07 March 2011 at 9:36pm | IP Logged 
tommus wrote:
JanKG wrote:
- "iedereen" will do fine, but I have the feeling that "eenieder" focuses on the individual, whereas "iedereen"focuses on the whole. Reminds of "many a ..." vs. "many".

You probably know that "many a ..." is a very common expression in English. Is it possible that "eenieder" is a bit more 'common' than you think?

I'm going to side with Jane here. "Eenieder" is not archaic (it's not unusual to see it in a text) but in the spoken language it's definitely not as common as "many a", which doesn't even mean the same thing as "eenieder".
1 person has voted this message useful

Cherufe
Diglot
Bulgaria
Joined 4849 days ago

36 posts - 38 votes
Speaks: Bulgarian*, EnglishC1
Studies: Dutch

Message 338 of 509
25 March 2011 at 7:10pm | IP Logged 
In my studies I found a lot of words that are at least very close in meaning, if not the same. Can some one give me an idea where is the difference, especially in usage?

The words are:
aardig, leuk and lief, but for "lief" I know that is used when it is referring to something that is dear and sweat to us.

ook and tevens, but the second one is in a sense of time? Like at the same time?!?

studeren and leren. I think leren also can be used when I want to say that I teach someone or that I already learned something.

geloven and vertouwen

vertellen, zeggen and beweren

gillen and schreeuwen

stom and dom

vlak and enkel

de kop and de mok (mug)

vroeger and eerder

meer and ruim. I think ruim is like "more than...." and meer is without "than..."

het trottoir and de stoep

kwebbelen and babbelen

ingewikkeld,complex and uitgebreid. The last one is more like extensive (and that's why is complex?)

ongelooflijk and geweldig

ieder, iedereen and elk

genoeg and voldoende

schoppen, stampen (it also means to crush) and trappen

Sorry for the long list :)

JanKG
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 5578 days ago

245 posts - 280 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, German, French
Studies: Italian, Finnish

Message 339 of 509
25 March 2011 at 8:11pm | IP Logged 
aardig/nice, friendly,
leuk/ cute, nice fun and
lief, but for "lief"/ dear and sweEt to us.

ook --- 'tevens' is the same but older, don't use it

studeren/ implies more efforts, leren/can happen without even being aware of that

geloven/ believe (geloof/ faith); vertRouwen/ trust [basically different, but the fact that both can be translated as faith shows that there is some semantic relation.

zeggen/ say, vertellen/tell (stories), beweren/ claim, prétendre in French

schreeuwen, gillen/ suggests a higher pitch in my view

dom/ dumb, stupid, stom/ stupid, with an emotional connotation (getting sick of the stupidity)

vlak, enkel (I don't see a link)

de kop/ cup, mok/ mug, bigger

vroeger, eerder : the same, I'd say.

meer/ more, ruim/ clearly more than more ;:-)

het trottoir, de stoep : the same

babbelen/ chat for example, kwebbelen/ arguing

ingewikkeld,complex/ both the same, uitgebreid/ extensive (semantic link is fairly coincidental, not fundamental)

ongelooflijk/ incredible, geweldig/ incredible, betraying enthousiasm, often the same.

ieder/every (persons) (iedereen/ everyone), elk/ each (things)

genoeg, voldoende: about the same, the latter a little more formal

stampen (from top to bottom more often), schoppen/trappen (kick, forward, I believe)

Edited by JanKG on 25 March 2011 at 8:14pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Cherufe
Diglot
Bulgaria
Joined 4849 days ago

36 posts - 38 votes

Message 340 of 509
25 March 2011 at 8:51pm | IP Logged 
LOL, thank you very much
That was quick :) (hug)

For vlak and enkel I saw where I was wrong. For each word one of its translations have the same word in Bulgarian...

tnx again

---------------------
I have one more question:
I did find a connection: berg > ge - berg - te and been > ge - been - te
Can someone tell me some other "shortcuts" like that one?

Best,
Georgi

ReneeMona
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5146 days ago

864 posts - 1274 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, EnglishC2
Studies: French

Message 341 of 509
25 March 2011 at 9:03pm | IP Logged 
Jan beat me to it but I'd like to add to some of his explenations;

Quote:
studeren and leren. I think leren also can be used when I want to say that I teach someone or that I already learned something.

Leren means to learn and to teach but there has to be a direct object for the second meaning, otherwise it’s understood as to learn. Studeren means to study academically so you can say “ik studeer” and then everyone knows you study at a college or university. There’s also bestuderen which means to study by observation and investigation, so a scientist “bestudeert een bepaalde soort vogel.”

Quote:
gillen and schreeuwen

I think schreeuwen is a cognate of to scream but schreeuwen means to yell or to shout while gillen means to scream. Jan is right in that it suggests a higher pitch. :)

Quote:
de kop and de mok (mug)

Een kop is a cup, like a kopje thee of koffie. A mok is a mug and both are made of stone. Anything made of plastic or paper is een beker, though kopjes are also called bekers sometimes.

Quote:
vroeger and eerder

Both mean earlier but eerder can also mean sooner; “Ik zou eerder dit doen dan dat” / “I would sooner do this than that.”
Eerder can mean anything from an hour or a day earlier to a couple of weeks or month earlier but there is a sense that it is the recent past.
Vroeger refers to a distant past, several years away at least. “Vroeger ging ik elke dag op de fiets naar school” / I used to ride my bike to school every day.”
Children will often ask their parents are grandparents to tell them about “vroeger”, meaning anytime before the children were born, most likely their own childhood or young adulthood.

By the way, eerder is not comparative so early is always translated as vroeg.

Quote:
meer and ruim. I think ruim is like "more than...." and meer is without "than..."

Ruim literally means roomy or spacious so it means something is more than sufficient. If you passed a test ‘ruim’ it means that your grade was well over a passing grade.

“We hadden nog ruim de tijd om de stad in te gaan.” / “We had plenty of time to go into the city.”

Quote:
het trottoir and de stoep

No difference in meaning, but the French one is for people who like to sound fancy. I hardly ever use it.

Quote:
kwebbelen and babbelen

Both mean to chat but kwebbelen has a bit of a negative connotation and it’s most often used for women. A “kwebbeltante” is a chatty girl or woman. ;)

Quote:
ingewikkeld,complex and uitgebreid. The last one is more like extensive (and that's why is complex?)

Ingewikkeld literally means wrapped-in so it means that something is intricate and confusing. Complex means about the same thing but it’s not necessarily confusing, just complex. :) Uitgebreid means something is large and extensive. “Een uitgebreid antwoord” is a thorough or an extensive reply. “Ergens over uitbreiden” means to elaborate on something and ‘iets uitbreiden’ means to expand something.

Quote:
genoeg and voldoende

Genoeg means enough while voldoende means something like sufficient but they’re often interchangeable. ‘Een voldoende’ is a passing grade.

Edited by ReneeMona on 25 March 2011 at 9:06pm

JanKG
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 5578 days ago

245 posts - 280 votes 

Message 342 of 509
25 March 2011 at 10:35pm | IP Logged 
Ge-been-te: quite right, G, it is a collective word. But the 'te' turns up as a deadjectival noun-making suffix, as in grootte, dikte, etc.

Cherufe
Diglot
Bulgaria
Joined 4849 days ago

36 posts - 38 votes

Message 343 of 509
27 March 2011 at 10:25am | IP Logged 
What about the difference between pogen and proberen?

Thank you in advance :)

JanKG
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 5578 days ago

245 posts - 280 votes 

Message 344 of 509
27 March 2011 at 10:29am | IP Logged 
Simple: they mean the same, but 'pogen' belongs to a different register. It is simply more formal and is seldom used in conversations. Yet 'poging', the noun, will be common because we do not have a noun based on 'proberen'. You see?

This discussion contains 509 messages over 64 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version