Belgium
emmerick.be
Joined 5508 days ago

352 posts - 414 votes 
Speaks: French, Dutch*, Italian, English, German
Studies: Arabic (Written)

Message 145 of 509
22 August 2010 at 5:56pm | IP Logged 
"Zelfbeheersing" is the normal word for "self control".
"Zelfbedwinging" can not be used in the place of "self control". It seems to be a philosophical or religious
concept. Maybe buddhist monks use "Zelfbedwinging". There is a sense of violence in it.
Can this help you?
2 persons have voted this message useful

JanKG
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 5578 days ago

245 posts - 280 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, German, French
Studies: Italian, Finnish

Message 146 of 509
22 August 2010 at 6:55pm | IP Logged 
I'd simply say "zelfbedwinging" is extremely uncommon (only 9 hits at Google - and I have not come across the word in literature though I read some philosophy, etc.)

Maybe Tommus might appreciate an explanation of the two verbs:
- beheersen: to keep under control (using whatever means)
- bedwingen: id. but using force, even forcing (dwingen)
But maybe he knew that already.

tommus
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5677 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish

Message 147 of 509
22 August 2010 at 8:08pm | IP Logged 
OK. Thanks staf250 and JanKG for that good information. I will use my zelfbeheersing and only use zelfbeheersing. I see the expression "zelf te bedwingen" but in the sense of "controlling something yourself" such as a fire.
1 person has voted this message useful

JanKG
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 5578 days ago

245 posts - 280 votes 

Message 148 of 509
23 August 2010 at 5:45am | IP Logged 
Indeed, you could put it that way : "zichzelf bedwingen", or simply the reflexive verb "zich bedwingen" is very common, and it does mean to control or keep oneself under control [so not something yourself, mind you]. One example: I feel the urge to laugh, but I should not laugh in those circumstances, so: 'ik beheers/ bedwing mezelf", where the first simply suggests I control myself whereas the second one seems to imply that it is not that easy.
In fact I now think we use "zich niet kunnen bedwingen" very often: so our own self is out of control, not as a result of enjoying trappist beers; no, the urge is (comes from) way deeper...

Edited by JanKG on 23 August 2010 at 5:46am

Liface
Triglot
United States
youtube.com/user/Lif
Joined 5669 days ago

150 posts - 237 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, French

Message 149 of 509
14 September 2010 at 10:39pm | IP Logged 
FAQ-NL: What are the differences between erna, ernaar, daarna, daarnar, nadien and vervolgens?

JanKG
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 5578 days ago

245 posts - 280 votes 

Message 150 of 509
15 September 2010 at 5:23am | IP Logged 
Liface wrote:
erna, ernaar, daarna, daarnar, nadien and vervolgens?

Interesting question. But let's split them up:

- ernaar/ daarnaar refer to the preposition naar AND replace (pro-noun)a prepositional object 'naar X' (Ik zoek naar iets, ik kijk naar de zon, ik roep naar een vriend ), so based on a preposition that is almost part of the verb: kijken naar, roepen naar, zoeken naar --- ernaar = *naar het [to it], daarnaar = *naar dat [to that] (in ShakespeareanĀ English: thereto , I think)

- the other ones refer to time, but 'erna' is not so very common, will only used to refer to a TIME adverbial starting with 'na'(preposition + noun): na het souper/ erna, na het werk/erna. Daarna (after that) and vervolgens (next) are very similar as for their meaning: they are true adverbs, no longer prepositional objects...

Edited by JanKG on 15 September 2010 at 5:44am

4 persons have voted this message useful

tommus
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5677 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish

Message 151 of 509
19 September 2010 at 2:49am | IP Logged 
FAQ-NL: What is the difference between weet and kent?

I understood that you normally use weet when you are talking about a fact, and kent about a person or a place. I just ran across the following sentence in Moderne Natuurkunde:

Wat je al weet/kent:

I would have expected just weet. I suspect that it means something like 'This is what you already know and/or understand. Is that correct? Is the use of 'weet/kent' together like this quite common? I get a few hits on Google.

JanKG
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 5578 days ago

245 posts - 280 votes 

Message 152 of 509
19 September 2010 at 6:57am | IP Logged 
That is almost a philosophical question, or at least the answer is.

'Weten' in general is about intellectual stuff, I'd say, knowing "from the inside", the context, understanding: 'ik weet wat hij gedaan heeft', maybe 'Ik weet het antwoord' (I prefer: ('Ik ken het antwoord').
'Kennen' is about things and people: 'ik ken zijn naam/ zijn nummer/ die plaats/ die persoon/...'

In Romanic languages there is the same issue with 'savoir' and 'connaƮtre'. Maybe someone else can still finetune - if that is the correct term - my answer...

At another site someone puts it this way: "A rule of thumb is; if you can substitutue 'be acquainted with' then it is 'kennen' if not, it is probably 'weten'
"I am acquainted with the man who doesn't want to come to school"
"I know that he hates school" " - which is a more practical way of explaining the same thing. See more at http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=587832">http ://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=587832

Edited by JanKG on 19 September 2010 at 7:00am

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 509 messages over 64 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version