5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 321 of 509
27 February 2011 at 8:37am | IP Logged 
aanhetleren wrote:
Ik leer Nederlands met Assimil. Ik zal gauw naar Nederland op reis en heb familie in Maastricht. Ik wil weten: is de uitspraak in Maastricht heel anders dan in Amsterdam? Zal ik de mensen (en mijn familie) er verstaan/begrijpen (a lot less than I would in Amsterdam) of is de accent erg anders dan in Amsterdam/ABN? Spreken de meeste mensen er Nederlands of Limburgs?
Zijn er videos online met examples van de Maastricht accent?
(Feel free to correct glaring errors)

It's an English Room here, so therefore we shouldn't write in Dutch.

People living in Maastricht speak the Limburgs dialect/language which is quite different from Standaardnederlands which is spoken in the whole Randstad (Amsterdam - Utrecht - Rotterdam - Den Haag). I have some difficulties understanding the variation of Limburgs which is spoken in Maastricht. But it's very long ago that I visited Maastricht.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 27 February 2011 at 4:09pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5658 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 322 of 509
27 February 2011 at 8:50am | IP Logged 
tommus wrote:
FAQ-NL: Difference between 'regering' and 'overheid'?

Both translate to 'government'. My understanding is that regering refers more to the ministers and elected officials, whereas overheid could include those people but has more of a connotation of the bureaucratic organisation and administration below the ministers. In other words, the regering is more the elected part whereas the overheid consists of the permanent public servants and their organisations and their functions. A third view could be that the regering is the part you see in de Tweede Kamer, het kabinet and those you see on TV, whereas the overheid is the part you interact with for your taxes, laws, passports and other government services.

Is this the correct understanding?

Yes, I agree with your definition. In English "regering" is "government" whereas "overheid" is "administration" in general. According to the political theory of Montesquieu (= division of powers) "regering" is the executive power, whereas "Tweede Kamer" and "Eerste Kamer" are the legislative power.

Members of the "regering" in the Netherlands:

- the King/Queen
- the Ministerpresident
- the Ministers
- the Staatssecretarissen

Quote Wikipedia: "De regering in Nederland is belast met het bestuur ofwel de uitvoerende macht. De regering wordt gevormd door de Koning en de ministers, zo bepaalt art. 42 lid 1 Grondwet."

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 27 February 2011 at 9:05am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Felipe
Triglot
United States
Joined 5841 days ago

451 posts - 501 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Italian, Dutch, Catalan

Message 324 of 509
02 March 2011 at 6:41pm | IP Logged 
I have come across something that confuses me. I want to say "I don't have enough money."

Ik heb geen geld genoeg.

Ik heb niet genoeg geld.

I have read and heard both variations and wondered if it is something that is just regional or is one wrong and the other correct, or are they both right and mean slightly different things? Thanks.

ReneeMona
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5146 days ago

864 posts - 1274 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, EnglishC2
Studies: French

Message 325 of 509
02 March 2011 at 7:37pm | IP Logged 
Felipe wrote:
I have come across something that confuses me. I want to say "I don't have enough money."

Ik heb geen geld genoeg.

Ik heb niet genoeg geld.

I have read and heard both variations and wondered if it is something that is just regional or is one wrong and the other correct, or are they both right and mean slightly different things? Thanks.

According to onzetaal.nl, geen can be used with nouns so that means both are correct, though the second sounds more natural to me. They mean the exact same thing.

Felipe
Triglot
United States
Joined 5841 days ago

451 posts - 501 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Italian, Dutch, Catalan

Message 326 of 509
02 March 2011 at 8:39pm | IP Logged 
ReneeMona, thanks a lot.

JanKG
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 5578 days ago

245 posts - 280 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, German, French
Studies: Italian, Finnish

Message 327 of 509
02 March 2011 at 10:11pm | IP Logged 
I also feel the second one is way better, and there is something fishy about the first. Of course 'geen' can be used with nouns, but I wonder whether it is correct: the negation refers to 'genoeg' rather than to 'geld', I think.So for that reason #2 might be the only correct one for that reason...

tommus
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5677 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish

Message 328 of 509
07 March 2011 at 1:16pm | IP Logged 
FAQ-NL: Eenieder or iedereen?

My understanding is that 'eenieder' is a more formal or solemn synonym for 'iedereen'. But I am finding it quite often in my reading in what appear to be informal usages. The latest is today in De Telegraaf.

"Binnen de krijgsmacht is eenieder op het hart gedrukt niets over de kwestie naar buiten te brengen en daarmee de lijn van het kabinet te volgen."
http://www.telegraaf.nl/binnenland/achteronzetroepen/9205485 /__Kans_op_snelle_vrijlating_klein__.html?p=22,1

Onzetaal offers what appears to be a very good explanation.
http://www.onzetaal.nl/advies/eenieder.php

Question: Do our HTLAL native Dutch speakers consider eenieder as more formal, or eenieder and iedereen as interchangeable? Would you ever write 'een ieder' as two separate words?

This discussion contains 509 messages over 64 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version