509 messages over 64 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 59 ... 63 64 Next >>
tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4526 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 465 of 509
04 November 2012 at 5:52pm | IP Logged 
You cannot use "één" in front of "honderd". Honderd dingen is a plural (because of
honderd) and thus if it's indefinite you drop any articles.

Een honderdtal dingen, however, means that honderdtal is the noun, and dingen is a
possessive qualifier (A hundred-amount of things). Honderdtal is not necessarily less
accurate, although most of the time it means you don't know exactly if it's 100 or 102
or
98, so you say "een honderdtal".

And you can extrapolate this to any number under a million: "vijftigtal, duizendtal,
twaalftal, elftal (usually means a team in sports such as football or field hockey
because you play with 11 players)", etc.

It's 'een miljoen dingen', however.

Edited by tarvos on 04 November 2012 at 5:54pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

tommus
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5685 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish

Message 466 of 509
12 November 2012 at 2:13pm | IP Logged 
FAQ-NL: What is the translation of "ledengeld"?

Today in De Telegraaf:
"Van Tongeren houdt haar pleidooi in de Volkskrant en op de website Joop.nl, de van ledengeld van omroep Vara betaalde opiniesite."

Another example from Wikipedia:
"Deze site wordt onderhouden uit ledengeld van de VARA, hetgeen ze op kritiek kwam te staan."

1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4526 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 467 of 509
12 November 2012 at 2:20pm | IP Logged 
I find "ledengeld" hard to translate, because it's not even clear what it means to me -
literally it's membership money, but it sounds like the site is maintained by the monthy
contributions members are obliged to pay for membership of the magazine.

Subscription fees?

Edited by tarvos on 12 November 2012 at 2:20pm

tommus
Joined 5685 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 

Message 468 of 509
12 November 2012 at 2:35pm | IP Logged 
FAQ-NL: Difference between "recept" and "receptuur"?

Recept means recipe or prescription. Receptuur means the science or knowledge of making prescriptions.

But I noticed in De Telegraaf today an example of using "receptuur" in apparently the same sense as "recept". Is there a subtle difference? Are the words interchangeable for "recipe"?

From De Telegraaf:

"GroenLinks denkt hét recept te hebben gevonden tegen de economische crisis:"

"Onze receptuur voor deze crisis is een psychologisch advies: leef ontspannen."

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4526 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 

Message 469 of 509
12 November 2012 at 2:47pm | IP Logged 
The dictionary says it's a possible meaning, but I don't like the word in that sentence
at all and it sounds really quite pompous and silly. Should have just used the word
"oplossing".

tommus
Joined 5685 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 

Message 470 of 509
18 November 2012 at 2:06pm | IP Logged 
FAQ-NL: omgeturnd, turnen, turner, turnleraar?

I see turnen (gymnastics), turner (gymnast) and turnleraar (gym teacher) frequently, but today I saw 'omgeturnd' for the first time. It seems to be used as 'turned around'. I would gave expected 'omgedraaid'. Is omgeturnd indeed 'turned around' in the sense of becoming lost (I somehow got turned around and couldn't find my way out of the woods.)?

I assume 'turnen' and its associated words are directly linked to all the 'turning' that a gymnast does. That seems like a word that didn't get to Dutch from the Germanic side but perhaps as a recent import from English. However, turning in English has no direct usage similar to gymnastics, other than the turns themselves.

Is 'omgeturnd' possibly an English borrow word?

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4526 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 

Message 471 of 509
19 November 2012 at 1:24pm | IP Logged 
Turnen isn't PE. Turnen is the specific sport of gymnastics that is also an Olympic
discipline.

"Omturnen" is just to change something around. It's used in the context of omscholen,
or in the context of sports positions "Ik was vroeger een aanvaller, maar ik ben
omgeturnd tot verdediger" (I used to be a forward but they turned me into a defender).

Omturnen is used specifically for occupations or positions. You could equally say "Ik
was een scheikundige maar ik ben later omgeturnd tot toxicoloog/communicatiedeskundige"
etc. etc.

It has nothing to do with actual movement or being lost. The best translation to
English is "to turn into something (else)".

tommus
Joined 5685 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 

Message 472 of 509
07 March 2013 at 2:37pm | IP Logged 
FAQ-NL: Koninginnedag and Koningsdag?

Having lived in the Netherlands for six years, I am very familiar with Koninginnedag. Lots of fun and a nice cultural pillar. However, I never understood the spelling; specifically the "ne" as compared with the "s" in Koningsdag. I assume it is the possessive spelling from old Dutch. Maybe it is used for possessive for other Dutch words ending in "n" but I can't think of any.

That extra "ne" in Koninginnedag always made it more difficult for me to pronounce smoothly, but now, Koningsdag is going to be much easier.

This discussion contains 509 messages over 64 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version