509 messages over 64 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 61 ... 63 64 Next >>
tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4518 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 481 of 509
12 March 2013 at 9:58pm | IP Logged 
I think we had Koninginnedag under Wilhelmina already, it used to be in August. Cases
weren't abolished until the late 40s if memory serves correctly. But in common parlance
cases have been dead forever of course. That it might be phonetic is another guess.

We'll have to defer to our little Green Book I suppose.

Also, I'd say "worteltjestaart", if only to prompt a joke about rabbits ;)
1 person has voted this message useful

lingoleng
Germany
Joined 5109 days ago

605 posts - 1290 votes 

Message 482 of 509
12 March 2013 at 11:54pm | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:
My Dutch is not good enough to say anything about the formation of compound words there, but I guess the historical processes which formed compound words might be similar to German, Icelandic, Swedish, and other Germanic languages.

My Dutch is not good enough, either, but what we (Germans) call "Fugen-s, Fugen-n" etc. seems to be known as "Tussen-s" (Wikipedia) and "Tussen-n" (Wikipedia).
The articles don't contain a comprehensive discussion, but maybe it's better than nothing.

I suppose (just an uneducated guess) that in the case of Tussen-n the case is very complicated, because the "n" in most "-en"-endings is mute when pronounced by most contemporary speakers, so one does not know if a "Tussen-n" is just not pronounced or does not exist at all (what is not a problem in e.g. German). No wonder that the spelling cannot easily reflect the spoken language.

Edited by lingoleng on 12 March 2013 at 11:57pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4518 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 483 of 509
13 March 2013 at 10:11am | IP Logged 
That latter observation is correct. Pronouncing coda -n sounds very dialectal or like
you're speaking with a German accent - only in low-Saxon-influenced dialects you would
speak like that. And maybe Zealandic but I'm not sure. Not even the queen pronounces coda
-n.

Koninginnuhdag. -en is usually a schwa. Pannekoek or pannenkoek? Nobody knows, but we'll
still eat the things. With shawarma ;)

Edited by tarvos on 13 March 2013 at 10:14am

leroc
United States
Joined 4122 days ago

114 posts - 167 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 484 of 509
18 March 2013 at 8:12pm | IP Logged 
How would you translate "I don't mean to sound___". I use this a lot in English and I am fairly certain it is an idiom. Thanks.

tommus
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5677 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 
Studies: Dutch, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish

Message 485 of 509
19 March 2013 at 1:36am | IP Logged 
leroc wrote:
How would you translate "I don't mean to sound___"..

I'm not a native Dutch speaker, but I see "Ik bedoel niet te klinken" used a lot. Example sentences are:

Ik bedoel niet te klinken als ik klaag

Ik bedoel niet te klinken als een volwassen

Ik bedoel niet te klinken ongeduldig

Ik bedoel niet te klinken dom

Ik bedoel niet te klinken ondankbaar

Perhaps a native can comment if these are proper usages, and if there is another expression that is used.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4518 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 

Message 486 of 509
20 March 2013 at 11:09am | IP Logged 
That is wrong, if only syntactically already, but I would not say that idiomatically either.

Ik wil niet gemeen/ondankbaar/ongeduldig etc. zijn (of klinken).

Alternatief: Het is niet mijn bedoeling om ongeduldig te zijn. (lit. it is not my meaning impatient to-be).

The additional problem with that phrase is that it sounds fairly apologetic for a Dutchman to say something like that. We don't apologise as much and being "blunt" and saying what you think is valued much more highly, so people would not tack on the added weight of the sentence. I find it hard to imagine a situation in which I would have to explicitly refuse politely, maybe if I was offered a present or something?

The best structure is the one with "it is not my meaning".

Edited by tarvos on 20 March 2013 at 11:12am

tommus
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5677 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 
Studies: Dutch, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish

Message 487 of 509
10 July 2013 at 3:51pm | IP Logged 
FAQ-NL: plaats, had, vond, gebeurde?

Are all of these usages of 'plaats' and 'gebeurde' correct?
Do each of the three usages mean exactly the same thing?
Are some preferred over others?
Thanks.

Het festival had plaats in Rotterdam.
Het festival vond plaats in Rotterdam.
Het festival gebeurde in Rotterdam.

Het festival had plaats op zaterdag.
Het festival vond plaats op zaterdag.
Het festival gebeurde op zaterdag.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4518 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 

Message 488 of 509
10 July 2013 at 4:24pm | IP Logged 
Had plaats is wrong in any case... or at least, sounds wrong to me. I wouldn't use it -
it might be dialectal, or some people might use it, but it sounds like you're calquing
French to me. In this case, the meaning is that the event took place, and in that case
"plaatsvinden" is preferred. I would always use that, or...

I might even just substitute with to be "Het festival was zaterdag", in colloquial
speech. Plaatsvinden sounds a bit formal, it is something I'd use in written language.

Gebeuren means something else, it means "to happen, to occur", like in "accidents
happen", but not in the "to take place" sense. Het festival gebeurde sounds really weird
and awkward, that is just not possible.

Edited by tarvos on 10 July 2013 at 4:34pm

This discussion contains 509 messages over 64 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version