Language Learning Forum : Specific Languages Post Reply
509 messages over 64 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 34 ... 63 64 Next >>
Spikada
Canada
Joined 4865 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes

Message 265 of 509
31 January 2011 at 10:35pm | IP Logged 
Could anybody volunteer help me with translating a recipe into English, please? I'd
appreciate it a ton!!! I don't speak Dutch and Google Translate produces a very
confusing translation. :-)

Schuimige aardbeienpudding (bavarois aux fraises)

500 g aardbeien, sap van 1/2 citroen, 100 a 12 g baster dsuiker, 1/2 l slagroom, 2
eiwitten, 17 1/2 g gelatine waarbij 1/2 blad rood, of 12 1/2 poedergelatine.

Was de aardbeien, ontdoe ze van steeltje en kroontje. Zoek er de mooiste uit om later
in hum geheel in de pudding te doen en zet deze enige tijd met wat suiker bestrooid
weg. Wrijf de overige door een paardeharen zeef. Week de bladgelatine 10 a 15 minuten
in koud water. Los ze met de suiker op in een beetje kokend water (zie regels blz.
302.5). Laat deze oplossing bekoelen. Roer hem door de aardbeienpuree. Voeg het
gezeefde citroensap toe. Roer het mengsel door de stijfgeklopte room en de
stijfgeklopte eiwitten. Vermeng het met de achtergehouden aardbeien. Roer af en toe in
de massa. Doe hem, zodra het mengsel geleiachtig geworden is, in een met ongeklopt
eiwit besmeerde puddingvorm. Laat de pudding koud een stijf worden, stort hem op een
vochtige schotel en dien hem zonder saus, maar garneer de pudding desverkiezende met
Rijnwijngelei en wat aardbeien.

Edited by Spikada on 31 January 2011 at 10:44pm

1 person has voted this message useful

JanKG
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 5586 days ago

245 posts - 280 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, German, French
Studies: Italian, Finnish

Message 266 of 509
31 January 2011 at 11:17pm | IP Logged 
This is the result from Google Translate. Did you try that? You should, I am sorry. And now please tell us what you do not understand. I think more people will help you...

Frothy strawberry pudding (Bavarian aux fraises)

500 g strawberries, juice of 1 / 2 lemon, 100 g of a 12 dsuiker Baster, 1 / 2 liter whipped cream, 2
protein, 17 1 / 2 g gelatin with 1 / 2 red leaf, or 12 1 / 2 powdered gelatin.

Wash the strawberries, they get rid of stem and crown. Find the best out there for later
hum in whole in the pudding and set it to do some time with some sugar sprinkled
away. Rub the other by a horsehair sieve. Soak the gelatin leaves 10 to 15 minutes
in cold water. Solve them with the sugar in a little boiling water (see rules page
302.5). Let the solution cool. Stir the strawberry puree it. Add the
strained lemon juice. Stir the whipped cream and
stiffly beaten egg whites. Mix it with the reserved strawberries. Stir occasionally
the mass. Put him as soon as the mixture becomes gelatinous in an eagerly right
protein pudding smeared form. Let the pudding cool a stiff, poured him a
damp dish and serve it without sauce, but if he think fit to garnish the pudding
Rhine wine jelly and some strawberries.

Spikada
Canada
Joined 4865 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes

Message 267 of 509
01 February 2011 at 2:23am | IP Logged 
JanKG wrote:
Did you try that?

Yes, I had tried it, thank you. It's not clear...

Edited by Spikada on 01 February 2011 at 2:24am

JanKG
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 5586 days ago

245 posts - 280 votes 

Message 268 of 509
01 February 2011 at 9:45am | IP Logged 
Just mark in bold (put the words between one set of square brackets around 'b' and another around '/b') and we can help, I think... Right now it seems fairly clear to me!

Edited by JanKG on 01 February 2011 at 9:46am

EmmiInEurope
Tetraglot
South Africa
nederlandsvirafrikaa
Joined 4934 days ago

13 posts - 26 votes
Speaks: Afrikaans*, English, French, Dutch
Studies: Spanish

Message 269 of 509
01 February 2011 at 12:54pm | IP Logged 
I'll try to correct the google translate where I can:

Frothy strawberry pudding (Bavarian aux fraises)

500 g strawberries,
juice of 1 / 2 lemon,
100 g of a 12 dsuiker Baster, this is in fact a spelling error in the originial
recipe. It should read 100 to 120 g "basterdsuiker" = brown sugar

1 / 2 liter whipped cream,
2 protein, egg whites
17 1 / 2 g gelatin with 1 / 2 red leaf, I also don't know what red leaf / blad rood
is in this context

or 12 1 / 2 powdered gelatin.

Wash the strawberries, get rid of stem and crown. Look for the best strawberries to use
whole in the pudding later, sprinkle them with sugar and put away in the freezer. Rub
the other strawberries though a horsehair sieve (? Didn't know you this existed
either, but that's what it says!)
. Soak the gelatin leaves 10 to 15 minutes
in cold water. Solve them with the sugar in a little boiling water (see rules page
302.5). Let the solution cool. Stir into the strawberry puree. Add the
strained lemon juice. Stir into the whipped cream and the stiffly beaten egg whites.
Mix in the strawberries you kept out. Stir occasionally. As soon as the mixture becomes
gelatinous, pour into a pudding form smeared with unbeaten egg white. Let the pudding
become cool and stiff, then pour it onto a damp serving dish and serve it without
sauce,
but if you think fit, garnish the pudding with Rhine wine jelly and some strawberries.

Edited by EmmiInEurope on 01 February 2011 at 12:55pm

tommus
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5685 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish

Message 270 of 509
02 February 2011 at 2:57pm | IP Logged 
FAQ-NL: curieuzeneuzemosterdpot?

This handwritten word attracted attention when it was photographed on the cover of a dossier carried recently by the Belgian politician Bart de Wever when he went to see the king. It is part of an interesting bit of photojournalism and political humour. This word and a shorter form of it 'curieuzeneuz' mean 'a curious person' or stronger,'a nosy person'. The literal translation is 'curious nose mustard pot'

My questions:

1. Is this a common word in Belgium? In The Netherlands?
2. Why 'mustard pot'?

2 persons have voted this message useful

ReneeMona
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5154 days ago

864 posts - 1274 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, EnglishC2
Studies: French

Message 271 of 509
02 February 2011 at 3:11pm | IP Logged 
I have never heard this word in my life before and neither has OnzeTaal.nl. It does get over 3,000 hits on google so I'm guessing it's popular in Belgium. If I understand what it means correctly, I think it means about the same thing as nieuwsgierig aagje, which is a common term in the Netherlands.

I don't know why it's mosterdpot but I like the rhythm it gives the word. Curieuzeneuzemosterdpot, curieuzeneuzemosterdpot, curieuzeneuzemosterdpot, I love it! I'm going to have to find an opportunity to use it in a conversation. ;-)

JanKG
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 5586 days ago

245 posts - 280 votes 

Message 272 of 509
02 February 2011 at 3:29pm | IP Logged 
I know the separate words. "Curieuzeneus" is the dialectal word for someone who is too curious (not the same as 'nosy', I gather). And I guess in Antwerp they hate guys and girls who even want to look into the mosterdpot, but I don't know that part of what he wrote. So: 'nieuwsgierig aagje/ bertje' but not very positive...

BTW: you know, it is not that new. It started with Jean-Luc Dehaene whose private notes on his lap had been photographed without him willing (how do I say that in one word in English ?) on the way to the King's palace producing interesting news. Now, however, this is no longer new and one cunning politician uses it to make statements without organising a press conference (Di Rupo), whether Bart 'funny guy' (sometimes) De Wever just plays a game because he knows the trick.

Edited by JanKG on 02 February 2011 at 3:33pm

This discussion contains 509 messages over 64 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version