Joined 5628 days ago

259 posts - 392 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, EnglishC2
Studies: German

Message 9 of 509
14 November 2009 at 1:51pm | IP Logged 
tommus wrote:
FAQ-NL: Pronunciation of weer?

According to standard Dutch pronunciation, "weer" should be pronounced something like "vare" in English. But if
my ears don't deceive me, I mostly hear it on Dutch TV and radio like "veer" in English. Do my ears deceive me?

EE in Dutch is usually pronounced /eː/, but before R it shifts to /ɪː/, so weer sounds like /ʋɪːʁ/ or /wɪːɾ/ (the first
in the Netherlands, the latter in Belgium).
Other vowels which shift before R are EU (from /øː/ to /ʏː/) and OO (from /oː/ to /ɔː/).

Edited by MäcØSŸ on 14 November 2009 at 1:53pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

administrator
Hexaglot
Forum Admin
Switzerland
FXcuisine.com
Joined 7195 days ago

3094 posts - 2987 votes 
12 sounds
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian
Personal Language Map

Message 10 of 509
14 November 2009 at 4:15pm | IP Logged 
FAQ-NL: How different is Flemish to Dutch for a foreigner learning the language?
1 person has voted this message useful

Vinbelgium
Bilingual Tetraglot
Groupie
Belgium
Joined 5643 days ago

61 posts - 73 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, Flemish*, English, French
Studies: Spanish, Russian

Message 11 of 509
14 November 2009 at 4:45pm | IP Logged 
administrator wrote:
FAQ-NL: How different is Flemish to Dutch for a foreigner learning the language?

The pronunciation is totally different. Flemish has a lot of French influences, while Dutch has more English influences.
For example the Dutch word 'trainen' which means 'to train, entraîner'. In Flanders we would say use the 'ai' sound of entraîner. It will become something like that French word, minus the en- and the end -r will be a -n. In The Netherlands they would use the English word 'to train' and put -en at the end of the word. There are a lot more examples.

In Flemish we don't often use 'je', but we use 'ge, gij' instead. This makes it more difficult to understand, especially if you are not accustomed to it.

There is another handful of differences between Flemish and Dutch.
I have heard from foreigners who are living in Antwerpen that it's more difficult to learn Flemish after you learnt Dutch. They all learnt Dutch in Holland, so they can't get the Flemish accent. They sound a bit weird, to be honest.

So if anyone ever wants to learn Dutch, I'd recommend to start with the Flemish accent. Later you can shift to the Dutch accent if you would wish to do so.

tommus
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5685 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish

Message 12 of 509
14 November 2009 at 8:52pm | IP Logged 
administrator wrote:

I began learning Dutch in 2001 in The Netherlands. For the first several years, I really couldn't tell the difference between Flemish and Dutch. My first Skype partner was Flemish but he was also fluent in English, French and German, so I don't think he had a typical Flemish accent. I first started to notice some different words like "baan" in Dutch and "job" in Flemish.

However, now I am very conscious of the difference in pronunciation between Flemish and Dutch. Daily I watch the "NOS Journaal" TV news from The Netherlands and "Het Journaal" from Belgium. I think I can hear both a French and German influence in Flemish. Whatever it is, I now find it very noticeable. What made this difference most noticeable for me was the Belgiun TV series Mercator, a reality TV show on a ship with the host Thomas Vanderveken. I assume his accent is very typically Flemish and to me it is quite strong. And he speaks very distinctly and clearly. After watching all that series of programs, his accent was firmly embedded in my mind, in a good way. I really like the sound of it. http://mercator.een.be/

So, the bottom line answer: At first I couldn't tell the difference at all and thought it was all an exaggeration. But now I can very easily hear the difference in pronunciation.

tommus
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5685 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish

Message 13 of 509
15 November 2009 at 4:54pm | IP Logged 
FAQ-NL: What is the difference between "tij" and "getij"?

If I understand correctly, "tij" and "getij" both mean "tide", as in the ocean tide that is caused by the sun, the moon, winds, etc. Is there a difference between these two words? In English, the same word is used for an ocean tide and a metaphorical tide such as "the tide of change is coming in.". Can either/both "tij" and "getij" be used for all these senses of the word tide? If both are the same, why are there two very similar words for the same thing?

Maximise
Bilingual Pentaglot
Belgium
Joined 5307 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes
Speaks: Dutch*, Flemish*, French, English, German
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Russian, Danish, Turkish

Message 14 of 509
15 November 2009 at 6:45pm | IP Logged 
Tommus: "tij" and "getij" are, as you rightly stated, almost entirely synonymous. "Tij"
is simply an abbreviated form of "getij" (some other words have also undergone deletion
of the prefix ge); incidentally: "getij" itself is a simplification of "getijde".

In metaphorical expressions such as "het tij keren" ('turn the tide') only the simplified
form is used.

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5666 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 15 of 509
15 November 2009 at 7:03pm | IP Logged 
administrator wrote:

It is as different as "Hochdeutsch" and Austrian German, to give a hint. That means if the foreigner has learned "Standaardnederlands", he/she will be able to understand Flemish with a bit of adaption, but this will not be difficult. It is certainly not as different as High German and "Schwyzerdütsch".

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 16 November 2009 at 10:08am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Vinbelgium
Bilingual Tetraglot
Groupie
Belgium
Joined 5643 days ago

61 posts - 73 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, Flemish*, English, French
Studies: Spanish, Russian

Message 16 of 509
15 November 2009 at 7:10pm | IP Logged 
Fasulye wrote:

It is as different as "Hochdeutsch" and Austrian German, to give a hint. That means if the foreigner has learned "Standaardnederlands", he/she will be able to understand Flemish with a bit of adaption, but this will not be difficult.

Fasulye

To me it is quite difficult to understand Dutch people. They speak so fast!!
In Antwerpen are a many Dutch people, and I do have difficulties sometimes.
However I also have problems understanding certain Flemish dialects.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 509 messages over 64 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version