Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

zu verrückt für euch/Rätsel|Adv|En TAC’15

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
812 messages over 102 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 25 ... 101 102 Next >>
montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4617 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 193 of 812
15 October 2013 at 1:44pm | IP Logged 
@Via Diva:

for what it's worth, your cursive handwriting in English doesn't look bad, in fact it's
quite good, what I have seen of it (probably only a small sample).

But it's interesting that you write a style of cursive that (as far as I know), they
don't teach any more in the UK. It's similar to the way my parents wrote, but by the
time I went to school, they were teaching us a very simplified form of cursive, with no
loops. Done well, it is very legible, if a little childish looking. But I never did it
very well (being left-handed doesn't help).

In recent years, partly through the influence of the book "Drawing on the right side of
the brain" by Betty Edwards (it's about drawing, but she devotes a chapter to
handwriting), I've now changed it (or tried to change it) to a slightly more elaborate
style, which means a simplified form of copperplate, with loops, etc, although more
legible than the really elaborate forms of copperplate that one can find (from a
century or more ago). Admittedly, it can slow you down, so whether I could keep it up
under "exam pressure", I'm not sure. I suspect it wouldn't be very legible.

Occasionally in old American films you will see examples of the handwriting of the
time, and while it's probably a bit idealised for movie-making, it looks quite
attractive to me. Reading around, I guess what I'm seeing is what they call the Palmer
style or method. I think it's been criticised as being over-uniform, but at least it's
legible, and (to me) far from ugly.
1 person has voted this message useful

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
last.fm/user/viadivaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4023 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German, Italian, French, Swedish, Esperanto, Czech, Greek

Message 194 of 812
15 October 2013 at 2:38pm | IP Logged 
montmorency, oh come on, is it really looking good?! I wasn't trying to write normally. Plus, as I've mentioned, I do not have a proper script, hence if I'll try to write something now, it'll be looking different.
Just written (link to the big size):

You have to keep in mind that my English cursive is interfering with my Russian one. I hate block r, so I replaced it with the inverse version, which is. actually, looks just like our cursive ч. I hate cursive x in any language - I just replace it with block letter. I think that when I'll be learning to write German cursive (I still hope that I will), I'll replace z with our style of cursive з - I saw that this is possible.
But, honestly, it's much more suitable for me write English texts in block letters, especially when I'm in a hurry.
And I never really saw much of cursive American English handwriting. I don't remember any sample of it, hehe.
I'll update this post in some time for I've recorded English (!) F1 (!) podcast (!), pilot episode. Now I'm saving the video with sole picture in Windows Live. I want to post it here because I really need to know if I should go on with that diction and pronunciation, I need to know if people can or can not actually understand me. Any, any feedback would be much appreciated!

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4496 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 195 of 812
15 October 2013 at 3:06pm | IP Logged 
That is right, you can use a similar z to the Russian z in German (and Dutch, and French,
and most European languages afaik). I however don't. (I use some loopy mixture that is
more cursive the faster I write). I almost never use pure block letters.

Edited by tarvos on 15 October 2013 at 3:07pm

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4023 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 196 of 812
15 October 2013 at 3:22pm | IP Logged 
Ok then, I like Russian version, plus I have to use it much since my last name begins with that letter :)

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4496 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 197 of 812
15 October 2013 at 3:41pm | IP Logged 
Three seconds in and I thought you were German, haha... your English is understandable
;) Don't worry, English with a Russian accent is perfectly intelligible.

(That's not to say the pronunciation isn't off but it's not making me want to throw
up.)

What you need to work on is making the r more of an English r (think of pirates :)),
and pay attention to vowel sounds and palatalisation.

Formula 1 for example is pronounced with a palatalised m, not a dry m. I say formyula,
not formoola. And you say Rassian, whereas Russian is not an ah sound but an uh sound
like in uuuuuuuhhhh.... I don't know.

And there's th, which you turn into s/z or f/v or whatever but it's not a th. Th
requires your tongue between your teeth (as far forward if not more than a Russian t)
and producing an s or a z there. It needs to writhe like a snake tongue, out of your
mouth.

Edited by tarvos on 15 October 2013 at 3:42pm

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4023 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 198 of 812
15 October 2013 at 3:53pm | IP Logged 
Thanks! So I'll continue tomorrow, hehe)
Ah, the same old problems, hate 'em. Especially th. I do know very well how to pronounce it, but I just can't actually do it!
Plus, I was somewhat nervous and certainly not relaxed. To myself I speak loudly and confident, hehe, regardless of possible mistakes)

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4496 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 

Message 199 of 812
15 October 2013 at 4:21pm | IP Logged 
If you sound bad at first when you try, that's okay. You do not want to know how long I
practiced rolling an R for Russian. It took me two months to get it down and I still have
trouble pronouncing r in some words like marshrutka.

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4023 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 200 of 812
15 October 2013 at 4:30pm | IP Logged 
That's not the point. My concentration sucks. I can pronounce some merely decent th ONLY when I'm thinking about it. But I hate to think about it, so most of the time I'm saying some shitty in-understandable thing. My mother hasn't really dealing with English for about 20 years, and she pronounces th much, much better than me. So, I guess it's just not my thing. But I'm practicing when I'm thinking something like "say it right" :)

This discussion contains 812 messages over 102 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version