Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Japanese from scratch TAC 2015 東亜

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
1702 messages over 213 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 194 ... 212 213 Next >>
dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4453 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 1545 of 1702
08 December 2014 at 10:47pm | IP Logged 
kraemder wrote:
Well they probably don't mean anything unless I go teach English in
Japan and then they would be very
helpful on the resume.

I thought I'd read somewhere that N2 is the minimum for working in a Japanese office
and N1 for teaching Japanese.

That said, my colleague is working in Japan right now, and set off with almost no
Japanese under his belt (so if a company wants you, JLPT doesn't matter - they all
speak English in the office it seems).

kraemder wrote:
They need an add on that days are you sure you want to navigate away
from this page and lose the text you
just entered?

I've done that before, but almost always if I hit the "back" button, my text is still
there, unmolested (using Chrome).

1 person has voted this message useful

yuhakko
Tetraglot
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4420 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishB2, EnglishC2, Spanish, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Norwegian, Mandarin

Message 1546 of 1702
09 December 2014 at 7:37pm | IP Logged 
dampingwire wrote:
kraemder wrote:
Well they probably don't mean anything unless I
go teach English in
Japan and then they would be very
helpful on the resume.

I thought I'd read somewhere that N2 is the minimum for working in a Japanese office
and N1 for teaching Japanese.

That said, my colleague is working in Japan right now, and set off with almost no
Japanese under his belt (so if a company wants you, JLPT doesn't matter - they all
speak English in the office it seems).

Actually since I'm looking for a job over there nowadays I've seen quite different
situations. Most of the time a foreign company will not require any JLPT except for
high positions (in which case N2 is "enough") and Japanese companies mostly require a
N1 level or even scarier... a "native level" !

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5770 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 1547 of 1702
10 December 2014 at 10:28pm | IP Logged 
kraemder wrote:
I didn't pass but I didn't feel like the material was really above me which is frustrating since more studying and I would have made it. But I was expecting this.

Surely, as long as you followed the rules and answered all the questions, there is still a chance you passed?

In any case, there's nothing more to do now until February, apart from maybe enjoying the Japanese you have learned so far while you wait for the results.

kraemder
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4972 days ago

1497 posts - 1648 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 1548 of 1702
14 December 2014 at 6:55am | IP Logged 
Well I suppose there's a chance that I passed but I will say it's undeserved if I do. I'm typing this on my
iPhone six plus. I decided to get one after all. But I'm also keeping the iPhone 5S too because sometimes this
thing is just too big (as is the regular six).

This wasn't a huge surprise for me but when I was taking the JLPT I saw words I'd studied but couldn't
remember and I know that's because I didn't stick to one method for studying vocabulary. I would switch
between apps and flashcard programs on my phone and it wasn't good. And I had Korean homework
distracting me from reviewing Japanese. Well I'm going to use ankinby the book I think. I've been doing so for
a couple of weeks and most people on the Internet will tell you anki anki anki when it comes to vocabulary so
it's probably good right. I think when it comes to languages with alphabets people will say read read read.
Japanese you kind of need both. Anki is going ok. I had a lot of reviews since I'd ignored anki for a while. I set
it to 15 cards a day and then zero cards briefly even but the reviews came down and recently I cranked it up
to 40 new cards. But I'm changing it to sentences instead of vocabulary cards. You can more or less figure
every word's definition anyway from the English translation. But since sentences may include more
vocabulary Ty I don't know I may need to reduce the amount of new words again.. And they may take more
time just to do each card. I was thinking I'd finish the core 6k in 3 months.

The core 6k seems to include lots of vocabulary that isn't on the JLPT. Of course you never know. But I think
you could focus on the core 4K really well and do ok on the JLPT. If I can get into the core deck and his
works well I'll also do the 10k deck. I lioe that they have English translations so you definitely get the context
right no matter what. And the native audio kind of reverberates in your head after you've finished studying
which is probably also good. As for books, I think I'd like to read 坊ちゃん next. I also have this book I found
on my shelf called read real Japanese. It includes an audio CD too.

I've thought a lot about studying both ways, production and recognition, but I'm convinced that production is a
waste of time when it comes to spaced repetition. Unless it's a common word that you'll see often, if it's on
the tip of your tongue but you can't remember it, then so what.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4453 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 1549 of 1702
15 December 2014 at 12:28am | IP Logged 
kraemder wrote:
Well I suppose there's a chance that I passed but I will say it's
undeserved if I do.

I've though that way too in the past: "Hey, I'm sure I was guessing quite a lot, how come
I passed after all?" In the end I've come to the conclusion that at the point that I was
sitting N5, N4 and N3 (and in the future, N2) I wasn't a native-level speaker and so
there was a vast amount that I wouldn't be expected to know. What they've (probably) done
is set an exam at what they consider the appropriate level and then stretch it in various
directions so that they can distinguish between different candidates' abilities. So
there's necessarily going to be a good deal that you won't know or need to work around
(as well as the things you do know but sadly forgot and the things you should know but
sadly never learned).

So overall I've decided that the examiners probably have a slightly better handle on the
language than I do, so if they think I've passed I'm in no position to argue.

So when in February you learn that you passed, you deserve it. Especially as you had an
impressively short gap between N3 and N2.

kraemder
Joined 4972 days ago

1497 posts - 1648 votes 

Message 1550 of 1702
21 December 2014 at 5:31am | IP Logged 
I got my final and my grade back for Korean. I got A's on both. I told you I was studying Korean =p. It
wasn't just an excuse for not cramming enough for the N2.

I'm trying to catch up on my sentence Core deck. I got a bit behind with the finals and presentation for
Korean and what not. I think I'm going to keep it a sentence deck although I'm still considering going back to
a vocabulary deck instead. Right now I give myself a wrong response if I can't read and understand the
whole sentence so the cards got a bit harder.

(Edit)

I switched it back to a vocabulary deck and blew through the reviews very quickly.

Edited by kraemder on 21 December 2014 at 8:37am

kraemder
Joined 4972 days ago

1497 posts - 1648 votes 

Message 1551 of 1702
25 December 2014 at 9:16pm | IP Logged 
I suppose this is my year review post:

A year ago I used the subs2srs program to make some flashcards for a couple of anime shows, full metal
alchemist and another one.. I forget the name. I didn't end up using those decks too much. I think the
informal speech mixed with a lot of non standard vocabulary made it difficult. I also think I was a little
bored of Full Metal Alchemist having watched MANY episodes already.

So in short, I wasn't very happy with my use of SRS this year to increase my vocabulary. I retook the 4th
semester Japanese course at my school and that was a good brush up on grammar I don't use hardly ever
like the passive and honorifics, but the stuff that gets covered at the end of the semester, probably just like
when I took the course the first time, wasn't as good of a review because we only did it for one class and
then didn't look at it again and I don't know if he even put it on the final (I didn't sit the final). My only
criticism of the class is that he doesn't use or make us use Japanese as much as he could. He's a native
speaker so it's not like it's a big effort for him. I suspect it was because the class size was so small we're
lucky the school didn't cancel it and if he used more Japanese in his classes then he'd lose students and
the class altogether. He was a great teacher in that like SRS he would review grammar every class to make
sure we didn't forget it.

Over the summer I would make vocab flashcards from anime or NHK news articles. In July I was pretty
good about doing reviews sorta.. I was doing a production deck. However, I also burned out on Japanese.
I posted about maybe stopping my study of Japanese except for watching anime even. I then got
interested in Korean and got into that quite a bit for August and September. I all but neglected Japanese in
that time. I still watched anime but I think probably with subs. I really enjoy anime, so I think that it's
impossible for me to completely neglect Japanese. I watch anime every day. Even though I was ignoring
Japanese, I still posted here and I am subscribed to this girl's youtube channel who blogs a little about
studying Japanese. She posted how she was going to be doing the JLPT this year and she even went on
to challenge her viewers (her channel has more than mine! lol) to do the same and outlined some goals as
part of the challenge. This got me interested in the JLPT again and I decided to sign up. But, at the time, I
was still more into Korean than Japanese and was enrolled in a Korean course at school. I think I was
happier when I was dedicating my study time towards Korean and just watching anime for keeping my
Japanese current.

The JLPT N2 test approached and I quickly saw that I had to do a lot of work if I were going to have a
chance at passing. I got a bit frantic because I felt guilty about signing up for a test and not doing a
diligent job of preparing for it. So I made myself study Japanese again and set out a bunch of goals to
make sure I would do everything needed to pass the test. I didn't stick to those goals unfortunately. The
homework for Korean was already a -lot- on top of a full time job and I had a teacher and fellow students I
was seeing twice a week so they could tell if I were neglecting Korean but there wasn't anyone but me to
get on my case for Japanese. So I did both as best I could and I don't think I did enough Japanese to
make enough improvement to pass.

I think that is in part because I changed my plan of attack too often. I didn't stick to one grammar book or
one vocabulary list or app and just switched things up too much. But I simply could not make Japanese a
priority over Korean and that hurt the most. Yes, there's still a chance I passed the test. I did take and fill
in answers on the answer sheet after all. But I have taken the N4 and the N3 in the past and I have an idea
of how well I did on those and then the results that came back and I don't think this will be a pass.

So with this experience in mind, I want to be consistent in my studying for 2015. I don't want to change up
my list of vocabulary, and I don't want to start a study routine for learning new grammar and then just quit
and try something totally different again every few weeks. I am a big fan of SRS for Japanese since it's a
lot harder to get a lot of reading in the way you can for other languages. I think that lets you be a lot
sloppier in your plan of study for a different language once you are able to read stuff but in Japanese you
need to stay with a good study routine in order to make the best progress.

I've been doing Anki regularly for several weeks now. I switched to the Core deck about a week before the
test and have been sticking to it since. I've experimented with the amount of new cards to be added but I
am really trying to do it just like Anki wants you to - every day and don't add too much at once. It started
with a lot of cards since I was picking Anki up after not using it for a couple months but I got caught up and
have been consistent. I'm still experiment - for a little while I made it a sentence deck and today I un-
suspended the production cards. But I'm doing the same vocabulary - I'm not switching to another app or
vocab list. My goal is to make sure the reviews do not get so high that I can't finish them in a day. I'd
prefer the review time to be about 30 to 45 minutes but up to or even a little over an hour is ok. More than
that is a problem. Lately the review time has been between 27 minutes and 40 minutes so I think that
adding production is ok but I can disable it if it slows me down too much.

I'm also doing RTK again. I am very comfortable with a lot of kanji already so it's not very often that I'll see
a kanji in the Core deck and have it be a problem. But the better I know a kanji, the easier it is for sure. I'm
working through an Anki deck that includes both RTK 1 and 3. It adds 20 kanji per day. I'm not doing
recognition, I'm drawing it just like Heisig wants you to do in his book, so it's a good review regardless. It's
been a whopping 7 minutes per day for this so it's very easy. I don't want to push it, I'm just gonna be
patient.

Lastly, for grammar, I'm making a new deck, not in Anki, but in Flashcards Deluxe, because it's so much
easier to do. I'm using these Japanese "Cheat Sheets" I ordered maybe 6 months ago or so. They're a very
nice condensed review of Japanese covering all the way up to JLPT 1. Very condensed. But they include
English and often an example sentence (but not always). I'm making it a production deck. I think for
grammar there's really no other way. If you can't produce it then you'll be slow to recognize it and maybe
for reading that's ok but for conversation like watching anime it's just not ok. And, thankfully, I think a
production deck is 100% doable when it comes to grammar. Even when I finish these sheets, I shouldn't
have more than a few hundred cards total.

As for other languages, I am on the fence. I would really like to just focus on Japanese to make it as good
as I want it to be. I'm not burned out on Japanese right now, quite the opposite, I'm more interested in
studying Japanese than any other language currently. However, I don't have much of a social life outside of
work and the internet (sad but true) so going to a class is a great way for me to keep sane. The 4th
semester Japanese class barely fits my work schedule as in I'd miss half the class. There's a 2nd semester
Japanese class that would fit my schedule. Either way, I'd feel like a tutor in the class more than a student,
but it could be fun and keep me focused on Japanese rather than getting distracted from Japanese..

Or I could take the 2nd semester Korean class or a Spanish class. Or none.

So 2014 was an OK year. I did make progress with Japanese, and taking the N2 test, pass or fail, will help
me going forward I think. I definitely made the most progress with Korean which wasn't even a TAC
challenge for me. I learned the hangul alphabet and some basic grammar and several hundred vocabulary
words. I got interested in Korean pop music but still haven't gotten hooked on drama. I am glad for
studying Korean as I have been very curious about it for a while. For 2015 however, I do not think Korean is
a priority - I would rather do Japanese and possibly Spanish (for work).

2 persons have voted this message useful

kraemder
Joined 4972 days ago

1497 posts - 1648 votes 

Message 1552 of 1702
31 December 2014 at 1:51am | IP Logged 
I'm looking forward to the TAC 2015. I think last year we had a lot more people interested in participating (or
so it seemed) than we do now. But I like that we're on an East Asian team because even though I don't have
time to study all of these languages I really do have an interest in all Asian languages. The cultures are
similar and related to each other after all. That said, I think my wanderlust could be Chinese this year
instead of Korean. I don't expect to take a course in it. I'm actually signed up for Japanese 202 (again) at
Pima Community College. Yeah, it'll be review. Yeah, I already redid the course for review. But I think it'll be
fun. It would probably be more fun to be a tutor or something for the class (and cheaper) but a lot of
students don't go to tutoring and there's really no way for me to be available before class starts anyway.
The grammar they do in 202 isn't going to be all that hard but it's also stuff I could use practice with. I never
use honorifics. I never use the passive. There's a few more structures that they do that I passively
understand but don't use. When I redid the course last year for a while my active skills were pretty good for
honorifics and using the passive. But that wore off. I suppose the best thing is making SRS flashcards to
force myself to review before I forget. I'm working on that sort of with my current grammar deck although it's
focusing on stuff I don't know rather than reviewing stuff I'm rusty on.

One of my Japanese teachers keeps telling me that I should do Chinese because I would enjoy the fact that
there's just one sound for each kanji. I don't even know if that's true. It seems too good to be true.

Edited by kraemder on 31 December 2014 at 1:52am

This discussion contains 1702 messages over 213 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version