forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5323 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 81 of 479
26 February 2012 at 6:18pm | IP Logged 
druckfehler wrote:
I was curious about the children's books you read, so I checked out the audio. Amplifying that is really not worth your time. The guy who reads the story has a really strong accent, he's definitely not Korean.

After reading your comment, I threw the MP3 into Audacity and ramped up the volume to listen. Yeah, he is most definitely *not* Korean. My first guess would be a Scandinavian language. If not that, then perhaps something Asian and notably tonal like Thai or Cantonese. Regardless, that file won't be much use since his Korean does not sound very natural.

Quote:
You could try the Naver Children's Book Videos. Most of them have subtitles and there are some without annoying background music.

Hmm...I've never seen that page before, but it looks very interesting. Thanks for the tip. :)
1 person has voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5323 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 82 of 479
27 February 2012 at 5:06am | IP Logged 
I've been trying something new lately and forgot to note it here. Originally when I would watch TV, I would keep a notebook handy to write down words that caught my attention along with the phrase or sentence in which they appeared. This worked on my handwriting as well, but took too long and broke up the flow of the show, so I switched to typing it into a text file instead which was a bit faster.

The problem with both of those, however, was that I'd often go for days if not weeks before entering them into my SRS by which point the context didn't have as much meaning as it did initially. So a short while back I started looking them up on the spot and entering them into the SRS immediately. This obviously resolved the delay issue but introduced even more interruption to TV watching which wasn't working out well.

Explaining further requires a little bit of context first. The way I watch Korean TV is via a small nettop computer connected to my TV (with a remote control rather than a keyboard) running XBMC Live which streams the videos from elsewhere on the network. It occurred to me very recently (a week or so ago) that I should be able to somehow grab screenshots with XBMC and use those as my queue for the SRS, so I looked it up and sure enough the "record" button on the remote is mapped to take a screenshot by default. So I pointed the screenshot folder to a folder on the computer that I use to enter words into Anki. Now whenever I'm watching TV, I keep that folder open on my PC (which is actually in the living room beside me). Then when I see a word or phrase that interests me, I simply pause the video, hit "REC", make sure the screenshot file appears in the folder, then resume the video and keep watching. Then sometime later that day (often immediately after the show), I fire up Anki and Naver's dictionary, open up my Survival Korean Vocabulary book (for any words that also appear there), and create cards from the screenshots I've taken.

This new process is working very well and I intend to keep using this method as long as it continues to do so. My only real regret is that I don't get handwritten Korean practice much anymore, but I can find another way to practice that if necessary. The reduction to the interruption periods while watching TV has been significant and really helps to keep the flow going. Every once in a while, I'll still find a word I just "need to look up right now", but those are going to exist regardless.

Edited by Warp3 on 27 February 2012 at 5:07am

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5323 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 83 of 479
04 March 2012 at 5:40pm | IP Logged 
2012년 2월 26일 - 2012년 3월 3일:

Hanja: 9
Done as 1 per day, other than Mon and Sat where I did 2.

Korean cards: 46
I got an unsually high jump start of 22 words on Sunday and thus had no problem exceeding my target of 39 for the week. In fact, Saturday is normally my catch-up day and I didn't add any words that day.

Completed SKV sections: None
Virtually all my vocab was from TV this week.

Completed song lyrics: None
See comment above.

Memorized song lyrics: None
I've gotten the short rap secton of A-pink's 몰라요 memorized, but can't consistently produce it at speed yet, even if I'm not distracted, so I'm not claiming it as done until I can. I made progress on some other songs, too, and added 2 more songs to the memorization queue (which I'm trying to keep small, though that is difficult to do).

Listening: I'm still working through the audio of 내 여자친구는 구미호 (halfway through episode 12 now).

For reference, here is my current song memorization queue (sorted by completion level):
- A-pink - 몰라요 (all memorized, but need faster recall on rap section; rest of song is full speed recall)
- Kara - Lupin (chorus done, one line of each verse left, half of the bridge left)
- T-ara - 왜 이러니? (chorus done, first verse done, second verse almost done, part of rap done)
- Secret - 사랑은 Move (chorus done and a good portion of the first verse)
- 4minute - 거울아 거울아 (chorus done, scattering of other lines done)
- Rainbow - A (scattered lines done, not much overall progress)

The 4minute and Rainbow songs are the newest additions to the queue. I'm also tempted to add some more band/rock oriented songs to the queue like CN Blue (most likely 직감) and/or Cherry Filter (낭만 고양이). However 6 songs in the queue is plenty (probably too much, to be honest), so I'll wait to add more until I've finished some first. 몰라요 will be done this week, easily, and Lupin and 왜 이러니? aren't too far from completion.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5437 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 84 of 479
04 March 2012 at 8:38pm | IP Logged 
I remember when I used to memorize songs. I had Simon D's rap from Dang Dang Dang
memorized at one point.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5323 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 85 of 479
05 March 2012 at 12:17am | IP Logged 
So far, I've found it extremely beneficial. Not only does it force me to produce Korean, but forces me to produce it at speed. Since I tend to sing along with music in the car anyway (regardless of the language), this makes that much more fun since I can keep singing during a song rather than just singing a line here or there that I know and only listening to the rest. In addition, I've noticed that my recall for words in songs I've memorized is very good. Whether this is due to repeated exposure to them in the song or due to the fact I'm producing them, not just listening, I'm not sure, but it has been useful nonetheless. I suspect it is at least partly the latter, though, since my *active* recall of those words is excellent as well.

I tried actively memorizing Korean songs a couple years ago (about 6-8 months into my studies), but, while fun, it was very difficult. Now that my Korean level is quite a bit higher, song memorization is vastly easier. In fact, there are several songs where I've memorized huge parts of it without actively studying the lyrics. I either pick them up from seeing the lyrics while the song is still being performed on music shows or I pick them up from repeatedly listening to them on my MP3 player then double-check them against the lyrics later to ensure I didn't mishear them (which is happening less now as my vocabulary increases).
2 persons have voted this message useful

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5437 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 86 of 479
05 March 2012 at 1:23am | IP Logged 
Yeah, I used to do something similar. It's just so hard to memorize songs when you're a
beginner, as you're lucky to understand more than a few words. It was really discouraging
for me to try to memorize T-ara's songs, though I did get TTL down lol.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5323 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 87 of 479
08 March 2012 at 4:06pm | IP Logged 
Some quick updates:
- I've dropped "Rainbow - A" from the memorization queue and replaced it with "Rainbow - To Me (내게로)" instead.
- As I complete memorizing some of these songs I'm going to go slower with adding new ones. Memorizing more than one at a time is helpful (since I can attack one or two lines per song in parallel), but more than about 3 at a time seems too unfocused and unhelpful.
- I've finally gotten 몰라요's rap down, so it will be eliminated this week.
- My listening duration per day has started to vary a bit on 내 여자친구는 구미호. This is partly due to not having as much time as I'd like to concentrate on both it and song memorization during my commute. (I never thought I'd complain that my commute was too *short*. ㅋㅋㅋ) However I'm partway through episode 14 (of 16) now, so it will be finished soon anyway.

Ymer
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 4628 days ago

20 posts - 20 votes
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Korean

Message 88 of 479
11 March 2012 at 9:15pm | IP Logged 
I didn't do my Anki session this friday (I usually do it everyday). Because of that I had to review over 200 cards on saturday :). Better stay on track in the future.

Edited by Ymer on 11 March 2012 at 9:16pm

This discussion contains 479 messages over 60 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version