United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5323 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 449 of 479
01 February 2015 at 9:31pm | IP Logged 
It kind of depends on what specifically you mean by "variety" and "repetitive". There are several things I find repetitive about K-dramas, but those are things that
tend to be repeated in *all* dramas regardless of the country of origin. The settings and story lines can be pretty varied, though. Gumiho (Nine tailed fox) based
dramas ("My Girlfriend is a Gumiho"), body switching dramas ("Secret Garden"), "girl mistaken for boy" dramas ("Coffee Prince"), historical dramas (which I've never
really watched), "royal family" dramas ("My Princess"), etc. There are several school-based dramas as well, which have a tendency to feature idols in the cast (Dream
High, God of Study, Jungle Fish) though none of those have ever kept my interest beyond 1-2 episodes. One of the more well-known K-dramas from a few years back
("Boys Over Flowers" in 2009) was actually based on a Japanese manga series.

All that said, I don't really consider myself much of a drama fan in general. The only K-dramas I've liked enough to actually complete are: My Girlfriend is a Gumiho (내
여자친구는 구미호), Secret Garden, and Coffee House. I got close with "My Princess" but with 4 episodes left I simply stopped watching it one day when I realized
that I didn't care what happened to any of the characters so there was no point in continuing to watch it. That series was entertaining early on, but turned overly-
dramatic partway through and lost my interest. The other series had their share of dramatic moments but without losing their sense of humor and kept the series
entertaining in the process.

K-drama series that I started but never completed are: God of Study, Jungle Fish 2, Coffee Prince, My Princess, and Cinderella Man. I may go back and complete
"Coffee Prince" someday since it was fairly entertaining, but the others I'll likely never revisit. God of Study and Jungle Fish 2 (which interestingly both featured T-ara's
Park Jiyeon) were both so boring that I only completed the first episode of each. In fact, Jungle Fish 2 is the only drama series that I've ever been bored enough
that I stopped watching it in the middle of an episode (partway through episode 2).

Edited by Warp3 on 01 February 2015 at 9:34pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5323 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 450 of 479
08 February 2015 at 4:12pm | IP Logged 
한국어 (2015년 2월 1일 - 2015년 2월 7일):

Extensive Reading:
- Twitter (a few visits each week)

TAC Progress (week 6):
Unsubbed Videos: 32 -> 38 (91)
Team Challenges: 1 -> 1 (1)
(The values before the arrow are last week's values. The values in parentheses are the final goals for Q1, except for the Team
Challenge where it denotes the total number of issued challenges.)

---

日本語 (2015年 2月 1日 - 2015年 2月 7日):

Current RTK Lite Status:
Lessons Done = 56 -> 56 (56)
Kanji Covered = 2042 -> 2042 (2042)
Active SRS Cards = 1116 -> 1116 (1116)
(The values before the arrow are last week's values. The values in parentheses are the totals for completing RTK1 / RTK Lite.)

Extensive Reading:

Comments:
Even using "easy" frequently to keep the review counts down, the counts are beginning to climb on the JALUP deck. They still aren't
huge and don't take long to review, but they may by the time I have all 1000 out of the way. This may mean reducing the pace of new
cards at some point, but for now I'm still going with 20/day.

At this pace of 20 cards per day, I am definitely learning things at a far faster rate than I was with JfBP. This is partly due to one of
the concepts behind the deck which is that vocabulary is best learned later when you switch to J-J cards, but sentence patterns (i.e.
grammar) is what is needed from the start and can use help from another language. So the vocabulary is kept intentionally low and
reused as much as possible to show all the various forms. For example, one lesson of JfBP focused solely on all the various
numbers. Meanwhile this deck introduces the number 1 (一) then uses it repeatedly throughout the deck (一時, 一時間, 一週間, 一月,
etc.). The same is true with days of the week. JALUP introduces Monday (月曜日) then repeatedly uses it in sentences rather than
introducing all the days of the week (and you'll notice in the previous list that January was the chosen month for this deck since it
already has a 1 in it). Thus the time a textbook spends teaching lists of vocabulary is completely eliminated by this deck and saved
for later when you can learn it as well or better through other methods. In fact the entire point of JALUP Intermediate is to aid with
the transition from J-E over to J-J sentences unhooking yourself from English completely. I never really quite made the monolingual
transition in Korean, so I'm interested to see how this plays out. If it works well with Japanese, then I will apply the same principles
to Korean.

As for the cards themselves, I am learning a lot of new vocabulary (despite it not being a vocabulary focused deck since he is
introducing some words I didn't know yet) and grammar patterns as well as taking words I already learned from Pimsleur and
mentally linking them to their appropriate Kanji forms now. Often I'll see a word (in Kanji) that I don't recognize, but when I view the
back of the card (which contains both audio and furigana) I recognize the word as one I already know in audio form. Then it doesn't
take long for those to become words I instantly recognize in Kanji form as well. For a few of the words, I've even been able to guess
which word it was from recognizing the Kanji themselves (especially those where the Korean readings are similar to the Japanese
readings).

TAC Progress (week 6):
Rembering The Kanji: 12 -> 12 (26)
Textbook Lessons: 7 -> 7 (26)
Videos: 116 -> 139 (273)
JALUP Beginner: 140 -> 280 (1000)
Team Challenges: 1 -> 1 (1)
(The values before the arrow are last week's values. The values in parentheses are the final goals for Q1, except for the Team
Challenge where it denotes the total number of issued challenges.)

3 persons have voted this message useful

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4585 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 451 of 479
08 February 2015 at 7:53pm | IP Logged 
It's very interesting to see how the cards are focused on sentence patterns while
keeping the word count intentionally low. I've done that myself early on in Japanese,
though not through the context of Anki cards, thinking that once you are familiarized
with the patterns, your ability to parse the language later on will be a lot better,
and learning the words themselves will become easier. I didn't do it through grammar
study, though, more like through graded readers. It's also good to hear your thoughts
regarding the monolingual transition, as I keep going through periods of monolingual
look-ups followed by periods of bilingual, and have never really completely done the
switch. I might decide to try his intermediate deck simply for that very reason, so
hearing your thoughts really helps.

In terms of drama, Hana Yori Dango (Boys Over Flowers) has been adapted into a drama
series in Japan as well.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5323 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 452 of 479
15 February 2015 at 2:42pm | IP Logged 
한국어 (2015년 2월 8일 - 2015년 2월 14일):

Scorched Earth Reading:
- 송지은 - 쳐다보지마 (1 new word)
수군대다 = to whisper, say sth quietly ("수군대고 우리 사이를 말리고")

Extensive Reading:

Song Memorization:
- 송지은 - 쳐다보지마 (in progress for Feb team challenge)

Comments:
I got annoyed at feeling unable to watch some of the shows I had been watching previously because they were subtitled and it seemed too much of a
waste of my TV time when I had unsubbed TV goals to meet. For some of the shows it was less that I wanted the subbing and more that the version I
already had was hard-subbed and I didn't want to go to the effort of searching for unsubbed versions to replace them. Well, fine... hard-subbed show +
strategically placed box = unsubbed show! 짜잔!

TAC Progress (week 7):
Unsubbed Videos: 38 -> 46 (91)
Team Challenges: 1 -> 1 (2)
(The values before the arrow are last week's values. The values in parentheses are the final goals for Q1, except for the Team Challenge where it
denotes the total number of issued challenges.)

---

日本語 (2015年 2月 8日 - 2015年 2月 14日):

Current RTK Lite Status:
(The values before the arrow are last week's values. The values in parentheses are the totals for completing RTK1 / RTK Lite.)

Extensive Reading:

Song Memorization:
- SKE48 - 強き者よ (chorus 1) (in progress for Feb team challenge)

Comments:
I had a very busy week at work, so two days I missed doing my 20 new JALUP cards. Thus I only did 100 rather than 140 this week. This isn't really a
bad thing though, since the reviews were starting to get pretty high with that deck so missing two days tempered that a bit.

I had a bit of an "episode marathon" yesterday and watched the last 6 episodes of the original season of Sailor Moon (which has 46 episodes total). I
had really slowed down watching this series for a while, but once I neared the end I just had to finish the storyline so I kept watching until it was over. I
rather like this series overall, so I guess I'll be continuing on into season 2 (Sailor Moon R) soon.

TAC Progress (week 7):
Videos: 139 -> 160 (273)
JALUP Beginner: 280 -> 380 (1000)
(The values before the arrow are last week's values. The values in parentheses are the final goals for Q1, except for the Team Challenge where it
denotes the total number of issued challenges.)

Edited by Warp3 on 15 February 2015 at 2:50pm

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5323 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 453 of 479
22 February 2015 at 3:28pm | IP Logged 
한국어 (2015년 2월 15일 - 2015년 2월 21일):

Extensive Reading:

Song Memorization:
- 송지은 - 쳐다보지마 (completed for Feb team challenge)

Comments:
I tested my recall on 송지은의 쳐다보지마 this morning while writing up my weekly update and confirmed I can now recall it at speed from start to finish, so the Korean part of my
February challenge is definitely done. (The "at speed" part is not really a requirement, but it is a fairly slow song so that wasn't difficult to achieve with Korean being my stronger
language. I will not be requiring the Japanese challenge song to be at speed to call it done.)

I started watching X맨 again. I had been hesitating to resume these as the next 3 were subbed and only then did I reach a decent quantity of unsubbed episodes. But then I
remembered that these are all soft-subbed, so all I have to do is turn the subs off. Why that never occurred to me before I have no idea.

Something occurred to me the other day that shows how comfortable I've become with Korean text. I had switched my GPS to Japanese audio quite a while back to get some listening
practice, but only recently had I tried switching the UI text as well. At one point I got stuck trying to figure out how to delete a saved location and none of the Kanji provided obvious
hints, so I had to switch the UI back to Korean to perform that task. It didn't occur to me until a few days later, though, what I had done. There was no hesitation in switching the UI
back to Korean as my "safe fallback". The idea of switching the UI to English literally never actually crossed my mind as I've had the UI set to Korean for long enough that I'm
completely comfortable with that state. In other words, I didn't switch back to Korean because it was something I "should" do (rather than going back to English); rather I switched back
to Korean because that seemed like the logical thing to do at the time.

TAC Progress (week 8):
Unsubbed Videos: 46 -> 52 (91)
Team Challenges: 1 -> 2 (2)
(The values before the arrow are last week's values. The values in parentheses are the final goals for Q1, except for the Team Challenge where it denotes the total number of issued
challenges.)

---

日本語 (2015年 2月 15日 - 2015年 2月 21日):

Current RTK Lite Status:

Extensive Reading:

Scorched Earth Reading:
- SKE48 - 強き者よ (chorus 1) (10 cards)

Song Memorization:
- SKE48 - 強き者よ (chorus 1) (in progress for Feb team challenge)

Comments:
I tried the same recall test this morning for chorus 1 of SKE48の 強き者よ as I did for my Korean challenge song and there are still obvious gaps in my recall, so my Japanese
challenge for February is not yet complete. I still have a week, though. Hopefully I can secure this in my head early in the week and tack on chorus 3 before the end of the challenge
since it only involves one word change. Earlier in the week, I SE read the section I am attempting to memorize and added 10 cards to Anki. Better understanding the chorus has made
it much easier to recall since I'm recalling meanings now rather than random syllables.

I skipped two more days of JALUP beginner again this past week. I'm still okay for the challenge so far, though, since I only have to average 104/week to complete the remaining 520
cards in Q1. However, they are getting a bit trickier as they go so it isn't a surprise that I'm slowing down a bit.

I watched a lot of Sailor Moon R the past week (14 episodes this past week, 20 if you count the prior Saturday). In some ways it isn't quite as interesting as season 1 was but I've
seemingly gotten hooked on the series in general.

TAC Progress (week 8):
Videos: 160 -> 184 (273)
JALUP Beginner: 380 -> 480 (1000)
(The values before the arrow are last week's values. The values in parentheses are the final goals for Q1, except for the Team Challenge where it denotes the total number of issued
challenges.)

Edited by Warp3 on 22 February 2015 at 3:34pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6340 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 454 of 479
23 February 2015 at 4:32pm | IP Logged 
Woodsei wrote:
One question, I've wanted to ask, and it's probably naive, but are Korean shows
repetitive? As in, the same themes get rehashed every time, most of the time (e.g. boy
meets girl, boy falls in love with girl, etc) or do they offer a lot of variety? Don't
take my point as is, that's just an example. I've noticed that Japanese TV does offer
a lot of variety when it comes to different themes, but of course, repetition does
happen.

There are some things that happen in many dramas but genre-wise the dramas have quite a lot of variety. From simple romantic comedy to action to supernatural to law enforcement and politics, revenge dramas, family dramas, workplace dramas, school dramas, I think everyone can find something to their taste if they are so inclined.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5323 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 455 of 479
04 March 2015 at 12:55pm | IP Logged 
I see the forum just ate some recent posts including my last weekly update, so I've
recreated the post:

한국어 (2015년 2월 22일 - 2015년 2월 28일):

Extensive Reading:

TAC Progress (week 9):
Unsubbed Videos: 52 -> 59 (91)
Team Challenges: 2 -> 2 (2)
(The values before the arrow are last week's values. The values in parentheses are the
final goals for Q1, except for the Team Challenge where it denotes the total number of
issued challenges.)

---

日本語 (2015年 2月 22日 - 2015年 2月 28日):

Current RTK Lite Status:
(The values before the arrow are last week's values. The values in parentheses are the
totals for completing RTK1 / RTK Lite.)

Extensive Reading:

Scorched Earth Reading:

Song Memorization:
- SKE48 - 強き者よ (choruses 1 and 3) (completed for Feb team challenge)

TAC Progress (week 9):
Videos: 184 -> 213 (273)
JALUP Beginner: 480 -> 580 (1000)
Team Challenges: 1 -> 2 (2)
final goals for Q1, except for the Team Challenge where it denotes the total number of
issued challenges.)

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5323 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 456 of 479
08 March 2015 at 1:59pm | IP Logged 
한국어 (2015년 3월 1일 - 2015년 3월 7일):

Extensive Reading:

TAC Progress (week 10):
Unsubbed Videos: 59 -> 63 (91)
Team Challenges: 2 -> 2 (3)
(The values before the arrow are last week's values. The values in parentheses are the final goals for Q1, except for the Team Challenge where it denotes the total number
of issued challenges.)

---

日本語 (2015年 3月 1日 - 2015年 3月 7日):

Current RTK Lite Status:

TAC Progress (week 10):
Remembering The Kanji: 12 -> 12 (26)
Videos: 213 -> 225 (273)
JALUP Beginner: 580 -> 640 (1000)
Team Challenges: 2 -> 2 (3)
(The values before the arrow are last week's values. The values in parentheses are the final goals for Q1, except for the Team Challenge where it denotes the total number
of issued challenges.)

---

This was not a particularly productive week for language learning. I've been very busy with work lately which explains part of it, but I didn't even make my weekly video
watching targets this past week some of which was a partial lack of motivation. For example, yesterday I really had no notable obligations yet I couldn't seem to motivate
myself to watch much of either Korean or Japanese video. Considering that I normally overshoot my goal of 21 Japanese videos a week, it was rather surprising to me that
I only hit 12 this past week. Fortunately, the fact that I normally overshoot for Japanese means I am still way ahead of my overall goal there. Korean, on the other hand, I
generally undershoot each week, so I'm still behind on that one.

I still have yet to pick a March "100 minutes" challenge goal. One thing I have been slacking on lately is reading in general (including visits to Twitter which have become
quite infrequent lately), so I'm going to make a goal to induce myself to read more. My goal is 100 minutes of reading per week per language. This goal seems a bit
low, but given the amount of free time I have lately and the fact that I'm doing that for two languages, I think it is appropriate. That works out to about 14-15 min/day (if
done daily) or 50 min/day (if done only on the weekends) for each language. A 30 minute visit to Twitter each day with half the time spent focusing on posts from each
language would accomplish this goal nicely.

This discussion contains 479 messages over 60 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version