Message 113 of 479
25 March 2012 at 6:38pm | IP Logged 
2012년 3월 18일 - 2012년 3월 24일:

Hanja: 7

Korean cards: 40

Completed SKV sections: None

Completed song lyrics: None

Memorized song lyrics: None
I still haven't *quite* finished either 루팡 or 왜 이러니 but I'm getting closer. I've got the first line of verse 1 nailed down on 루팡 now, I just have to work more on the first line of verse 2 which still throws me at speed (as does 박규리's pronunciation of 한눈팔면 for some reason). In 왜 이러니 I'm down to a single line in the rap section.

Listening: Listened to episodes 1-10 (once each) of TTMIK's 이야기 podcasts during my commutes on Thursday and Friday.

Speaking: We have a new Korean restaurant nearby that is far closer than the next nearest one and I went there with some friends yesterday. The waitress commented (positively) on my pronunciation of the food names when ordering so my friend volunteers the information that I speak Korean, so she should make sure to speak Korean to me (partly since he knows that I'm not likely to take the initiative to do so on my own). We have a *very* brief dialog in Korean (a few phrases at most), but this was mostly because I couldn't really think of much to say. I can generate Korean fairly well, but still really suck at doing so on the spot like that.

I have internal Korean dialogs in my head all the time, which has helped greatly with production, but without the pressure of someone awaiting a response it just isn't the same. I need to work on practicing *real* speaking.

Edited by Warp3 on 25 March 2012 at 6:39pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5323 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 114 of 479
26 March 2012 at 9:57pm | IP Logged 
I watched the first episode of Vampire Idol yesterday (unsubbed) and it was much stranger than I expected (and I already expected strange from the title alone). I recognize a few of the cast members, but only two by name (민아 from Girl's Day and 강민경 from Davichi). The NG compilation at the end of the episode was good for some laughs as well.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5323 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 115 of 479
01 April 2012 at 5:33am | IP Logged 
2012년 3월 25일 - 2012년 3월 31일:

The 6th card this week was the final card from the "4 stroke" section of "A Guide To Korean Characters", and the 7th card was the first from the "5 stroke" section. Stroke count probably isn't the best order for learning the characters (since some of the 2, 3, and 4 stroke Hanja characters I learned didn't seem particularly useful), but at least this way I tend to learn the simpler Hanja characters before learning compound Hanja that contain them. I've been tempted to start in on the characters that are used for surnames though (in fact I just added 李(이) to my Hanja queue today for that very reason), so I may do that instead then come back to the 5 stroke characters afterward.

Korean cards: 29
All of my Korean vocab cards this week were entered either Friday or Saturday. I started collecting screenshots earlier in the week, but didn't actually get around to processing them until Friday. I could have pushed and done 10 more today to meet my goal, but I've already done several today (17) and don't want to burn myself out and thus do none tomorrow.

Completed SKV sections: None
I need to get back to actively working through this book rather than only gathering words from TV show mining. Many of the words I've mined lately have not been in this book at all and the ones that are there are often "C" words. However, I know there are still "B" words in there that I need to learn, so I need to get back to actively learning them.

Completed song lyrics: None
I need to work on scorched earth reading some more song lyrics as well. The vast majority of the words I've gotten from songs have proven to be very useful (regardless of whether they are in the KEV/SKV books or not).

Memorized song lyrics: 카라 - 루팡
I finally finished "루팡" though I still stumble a little on the first line of each verse if I'm not actually paying attention. I'm very close on "티아라 - 왜 이러니" but the second line from 화영's rap ("우리를 우연쯤이라고 생각하지마") is still giving me too much trouble at speed to claim it done quite yet. Once I complete "왜 이러니" that will leave "Secret - 사랑은 Move" as the only remaining song in my queue (for which I still have a lot of verse left to memorize). Thus I may add another song or two this week (especially if I SER another song or two this week).

Edited by Warp3 on 01 April 2012 at 5:37am

vermillon
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4466 days ago

602 posts - 1042 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 116 of 479
01 April 2012 at 9:30am | IP Logged 
Warp3 wrote:
The 6th card this week was the final card from the "4 stroke" section of "A Guide To Korean Characters", and the 7th card was the first from the "5 stroke" section. Stroke count probably isn't the best order for learning the characters (since some of the 2, 3, and 4 stroke Hanja characters I learned didn't seem particularly useful), but at least this way I tend to learn the simpler Hanja characters before learning compound Hanja that contain them. I've been tempted to start in on the characters that are used for surnames though (in fact I just added 李(이) to my Hanja queue today for that very reason), so I may do that instead then come back to the 5 stroke characters afterward.

Indeed, the very simple characters usually may have little practical use. I particularly think of 乙 :) I guess Heisig will find that he can make money out of "Remembering the hanja" soon? It would probably work to use something like "Remembering the kanji/hanzi" to set the order of one's learning of hanja, if one aimed at writing them. Otherwise, you can also try to simply learn those that are included in your vocabulary regimen? That would act as a positive reinforcement, linking between the words you know that share a certain morpheme/hanja?

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5437 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 117 of 479
01 April 2012 at 3:29pm | IP Logged 
I don't think Heisig would ever make Remembering the Hanja. I used RTK and learning the
differences between kanji and hanja doesn't take too much effort. With that being said, I
still believe the hanja are useless in Korean unless you want to read old literature or
academic material. I only had a use for it because I needed the characters for Japanese.

Edited by The Real CZ on 01 April 2012 at 3:30pm

vermillon
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4466 days ago

602 posts - 1042 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 118 of 479
01 April 2012 at 3:42pm | IP Logged 
Sorry, it was a self-joke about Heisig, as I see very little value in his books apart from the original one: too little to learn in the kana ones, and the hanzi ones are just cut-and-paste of the kanji one.

That's fine, I don't want to argue anymore. I find useful to know them, but if I didn't know them in the first place, then it's not certain I would learn them at all (nor that I would attempt learning Korean...). I should rephrase, it's knowing Mandarin rather than knowing Hanja that helps me... I can often infer the meaning of words from their pronunciation and a bit of context, seeing the hanja appearing in my mind.

I still find them beautiful and I think mixed script has its charm. I'll see where it brings me, the day I've a good enough level to read interesting content in Korean.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5323 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 119 of 479
01 April 2012 at 3:48pm | IP Logged 
乙 was precisely the kind of character I had in mind. I know the reading + given Korean "meaning" (을 / 새) but the character doesn't seem to really *mean* anything.

I would think that Remembering The Traditional Hanzi (minus the books that give pronunciation) would work the best for anyone starting Korean Hanja that wanted to try the RTK method since Hanja are almost entirely based on Traditional Hanzi characters.

CZ: It's true that you don't *need* Hanja for Korean, but it can still be useful for several reasons. One reason is that it makes dictionaries that give Hanja far more useful. For example, I've had several words that I've looked up on Naver that I didn't quite get the meaning of until I looked at the Hanja characters which happened to be ones I already knew. As soon as I did that...*click* right into place. True, you only need the meanings to do that (which you can accomplish by learning Chinese or Japanese) but I'm not working on other languages that use them yet, so I'm learning them through Korean. Also the Korean readings of Hanja are useful when I learn a new word and find that I can immediately picture which Hanja would make up that word simply from the meaning (which helps in recall).

As I've noted before, if I were already learning Chinese or Japanese before starting to delve into Hanja, I probably wouldn't have even considered it. The meanings are 80+% of the usefulness of knowing the characters and I would have already had that accomplished. But I'm not learning those other two (yet), so I'm learning the characters through Korean first (which will hopefully help immensely when starting Japanese).

Edited by Warp3 on 01 April 2012 at 3:52pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5323 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 120 of 479
05 April 2012 at 11:14pm | IP Logged 
I finally checked out Soribada (a Korean music download site) the other day and everything looked perfect at the start. They take Paypal, the downloads are non-DRM 192kbps MP3, the site is viewable in English or Korean, the song titles can be viewed in Korean or romanized form (the default was the latter, so I was glad it was changeable), they acknowledge the existence of browsers that aren't IE (in fact their FAQ even explains why they opted to use Adobe AIR over ActiveX), the prices were reasonable, etc. Then I noticed that most of the songs were grayed out. Apparently they don't have overseas selling rights for most songs so they can't sell them outside of SK until they acquire those rights from the copyright holder.

{sigh}

This is the kind of crap that needs to go away as quickly as possible in the modern connected world. These types of regional restrictions for media (DVD/Bluray regions, region-specific distribution rights, etc.) simply don't make as much sense now as they used to, so I'm baffled why they are still so prevalent. It is particularly frustrating when the item you want is simply not sold in your region since they don't see making it available in your region as profitable due to lack of regional demand. However, if it were sold with global region coding / distribution rights from the start, then this wouldn't *be* an issue as nothing would have to change for them to sell the product in a region that formerly had no interest in that product.

Later I checked out Apple's music store, which I'd been avoiding since I would *much* prefer to be able to (a) buy music without a dedicated application (i.e. iTunes) and (b) download them as a format that I won't have to immediately convert to something else that is actually useful to me. Regardless their selection was much larger than I expected, so I may have to go that way (at least for songs from groups where I don't intend to buy the full physical album anyway).

Edited by Warp3 on 05 April 2012 at 11:15pm

This discussion contains 479 messages over 60 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version