United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5323 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 97 of 479
12 March 2012 at 6:57pm | IP Logged 
Honestly I've not really written much, if any, Hanja by hand. Hangul, yes, but not so much Hanja. The exception might be 完了(완료) which I used to write at the top of my notebook when I'd finish entering that page of vocabulary.
1 person has voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5323 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 98 of 479
14 March 2012 at 12:08am | IP Logged 
The other day I ran across the word 낙 (joy, pleasure, enjoyment) on 청춘불패 2 so I decided to add it to my Hanja queue instead of as a vocab word since it has an associated Hanja character (I often do that with single syllable Sino-Korean words).

Well I pulled it from my Hanja queue today and looked it up and apparently that character (樂) has *3* distinct readings (4 if you count the 락>낙 shift as 2 separate readings)! That may be common in Japanese, but not in Korean...wow. I've learned a few characters with 2 readings already and several with 1 reading but with a pronunciation shift (년>연, 록>녹, 룡>용, etc.), but this is the first I've seen with 3+ readings. The readings are 락(낙), 악, and 요. Oddly enough, that is the same 악 that means "music" (as used in words like 음악 or 악기), so the Chinese character for "pleasure" and "music" is apparently the same.

vermillon
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4466 days ago

602 posts - 1042 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 99 of 479
14 March 2012 at 12:39am | IP Logged 
Indeed, the character for pleasure and music is the same in Chinese. In Mandarin, they're pronounced totally differently though: yuè for music and lè for pleasure.

I bet the 요 is never used anywhere (it seems to correspond to a Chinese meaning "to be fond of", yào, that I've never heard of), but did you find words where it appears in Korean? If not, I suggest you only recall the 락(낙) and 악 (it's basically the same, isn't it?) readings...

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5323 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 100 of 479
14 March 2012 at 1:22am | IP Logged 
vermillon wrote:
I bet the 요 is never used anywhere (it seems to correspond to a Chinese meaning "to be fond of", yào, that I've never heard of), but did you find words where it appears in Korean? If not, I suggest you only recall the 락(낙) and 악 (it's basically the same, isn't it?) readings...

The 요 reading had the meaning of "좋아할 (delight in, like)" and the only example that AGTKC gave for that particular reading was: 요산(樂山; enjoy mountaineering) However, that said, they only list 2-3 examples per character, so there was exactly 1 example per reading for that entry.

Also, I have seen examples where Naver lists 2 or 3 readings for a character but AGTKC only gives one, so that would imply to me that AGTKC tends to stick to the more common readings for a character, not the really obscure ones.

vermillon
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4466 days ago

602 posts - 1042 votes 

Message 101 of 479
14 March 2012 at 8:18am | IP Logged 
I'm still a beginner in Korean, but when I see 樂山, I can only think of a coined term that will occur only once. Unfortunately I don't have a decent hanja example dictionary, so I can't search for more information about that.

Ideally I would need a big Korean dictionary (in downloadable and machine-readable format) that contains the hanja of its entry, but I haven't found one yet.

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4656 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 102 of 479
14 March 2012 at 5:36pm | IP Logged 
요산 樂山 (a liking of mountains), 요수 樂水 (a liking of water) and 삼요 三樂 (liking three things, mentioned in the Annalects of Confucius) are the only words naver mentions for the 요 reading (total number of entries for this Hanja: 519). None of the 요 words have entries in the Korean-English dictionary, so I guess they aren't very common.

Now I want to study 樂-words :)

vermillon
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4466 days ago

602 posts - 1042 votes 

Message 103 of 479
14 March 2012 at 6:14pm | IP Logged 
My guess is that they're reading for people who want to read 한문, not more.
Just like with a Mandarin reading of Classical Chinese, some people still retain an oldish pronunciation of some characters. (거/차=車 for instance)

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5323 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 104 of 479
18 March 2012 at 11:20pm | IP Logged 
2012년 3월 11일 - 2012년 3월 17일:

Hanja: 5
I guess my "one minimum per day" rule was broken a few times this past week. I'm not horribly worried about it, though, since I'm still making progress. As I noted previously, Hanja is the least important of my goals for the TAC.

Korean cards: 30
I was way behind (16/39) on my goal when I started the day yesterday, so the fact that I even hit 30 this week is notable. Events were a bit odd this week which led to less Korean work than I normally accomplish per week.

Completed SKV sections: None

Completed song lyrics: 소녀시대 - Run Devil Run (11 cards)
Run Devil Run has quite a number of very colloquial phrasings in it, which caught me a bit off guard while trying to scorched-earth read it. I got some very useful words and phrases from it.

Memorized song lyrics: None
I made a small amount of progress on both 카라 - 루팡 and 티아라 - 왜 이러니, but didn't complete either one.

Listening: 내 여자친구는 구미호 audio complete (as of Thursday afternoon)
I will likely take a break from this particular type of listening exercise for a bit (partly to allow more time during my commute to focus on song lyrics), but I enjoyed doing this regardless. I'm planning to start watching a (non-variety) series unsubbed soon, but still haven't yet decided which one. Most likely it will either be an action drama (like Athena: 전쟁의 여신 or 도망자: Plan B) or a sitcom (perhaps Vampire Idol or High Kick 3). I'm leaning toward Vampire Idol at the moment, but haven't decided for certain yet.

Edited by Warp3 on 18 March 2012 at 11:22pm

This discussion contains 479 messages over 60 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version