Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5129 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 89 of 656
30 April 2012 at 1:09pm | IP Logged 
Perhaps someone thought I had been taking up too much space lately and just wanted to shut me up :-)
1 person has voted this message useful

dandt
Australia
regarderetlire.wordp
Joined 4419 days ago

134 posts - 174 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French

Message 90 of 656
30 April 2012 at 1:43pm | IP Logged 
Just thought i should say i'm changing to super duper challenge, only in writing.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5129 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 91 of 656
30 April 2012 at 1:59pm | IP Logged 
It seems like only the admin can give me permanent editing rights after the period has expired, so I'll write to him and ask for help, but it may take some time before it is fixed. I might possibly get one of the moderators to change the content of the post once a week or so, while we are waiting for an answer from the admin, but I do not want to bother them more often than that. In the mean time, just register here and in the bot.

kurjuus
Tetraglot
Finland
Joined 4730 days ago

3 posts - 6 votes
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Spanish, French
Studies: Czech, Russian, Turkish, Japanese

Message 92 of 656
30 April 2012 at 2:06pm | IP Logged 
Signing up for lunacy with my first HTLAL post. I tried to talk myself out of it, but I wasn't convincing.

Language: RUSSIAN
Current Level: A1-
FULL Super Challenge (100 books, 100 films)
Fortitude: iffy
Hope of Success: none
Aim: Being able to read Russian books with relative ease, emphasis on the word 'relative' meaning without wearing a straitjacket.

Language: PORTUGUESE
Current Level: A1 as the Portu is fakery and the geese are Spanish
FULL Super Challenge (100 books, 100 films)
Fortitude: vigorous
Hope of Success: shimmering
Aim: salvation, Paradise

wv girl
Diglot
United States
Joined 5034 days ago

174 posts - 330 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 93 of 656
30 April 2012 at 5:54pm | IP Logged 
Language: Spanish

1/2 challenge

Level: Difficult to judge. At one time, probably a B1-B2, but it's been much neglected for several years.

Goal: Improve my vocabulary and reading ease, plus improve my listening comprehension.   

Also, I don't tweet, so I''l post updates here?   Can't wait for tomorrow!

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5129 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 94 of 656
30 April 2012 at 5:57pm | IP Logged 
THE TALK

I decided that since the Super challenge is about to begin in just a few hours, it would be a good time to do - THE TALK -

No, not that talk – I’ll leave that to your parents :-)

This will be the motivational talk that all good coaches give their team before a match. And the Super Challenge is like a marathon, and I consider you all teammates more than competitors.

This may sound like a strange way to start a motivational talk – but most likely very few of us are going to make it until December 31st 2013. During the TAC, which is not terribly demanding – since basically all you have to do is to update your log once a month and say hello to your team mates now and then- only 25% succeed. People lose motivation, and don’t bother to follow through.

Since this is an extremely demanding challenge, and it is not 12 months but 20 months, we can statistically expect only 10 % to make it. That would be approximately 4 persons. Now on a group level even if just those 4 persons make it, it will still be a success, but my hope is that we through this thread, and through mutual encouragements, can raise the percentage.

On an individual level, any films you see or books you read beyond what you would have read or seen anyway will of course be success, and I hope that even those who jump ship early, will reap some benefit from having participated.

It might be a good idea to think through your strategies, and how you can make your individual circumstances work for you. Personally I have an intention of starting with as many films as I can find the time for, as soon as possible, since the films are easier to get through than the books, but I plan on having a Russian book with me at all times too.

Do not lose motivation if you cannot get through a book a week in the beginning – most of us probably will not be able to do that. Do what you can, and remind yourself that the more you read, the faster you will be able to read books later.

May is a difficult month to start the challenge in for me, because I start with a business trip, my husband is away half the month, I am having an American visitor for 2 weeks, we celebrate our national holiday on the 17th of May, and a couple of days later I am organizing a big party to celebrate my 50th birthday. And of course we start having some sun and light after months of cold and darkness, so people think you are mad if you sit inside watching films or reading books.

I am sure most of you can make a similar list for why this is almost impossible, yet we are going to do this all the same. If we really want to, we can do almost anything we put our mind to, and I know that the people on this forum are an amazing lot. So whenever you need some support, or you see someone else who needs support – come to this thread and we will help each other.

We will end this on December 31st 2013– presumably with a glass of champagne (or soda for the minors) – so let us raise an imaginary glass now, in anticipation for that very real glass in 20 months – and lets get down to business:

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 01 May 2012 at 1:42am

13 persons have voted this message useful

Luna Moonsilver
Diglot
Groupie
Germany
lunaslanglog.wordpreRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4873 days ago

77 posts - 99 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Mandarin, Korean

Message 95 of 656
30 April 2012 at 10:51pm | IP Logged 
LANGUAGE: Mandarin

CHALLENGE: Super Duper (Writing only)

CURRENT LEVEL: A1-2

COMMENTS: My main aim in this challenge is to finally be able to read something!
I love Chinese dramas and films, so that part should be pretty fun, and the writing
will be good practice :D

--

LANGUAGE: German

CHALLENGE: Half (50 of each)

CURRENT LEVEL: B1~

COMMENTS: I really just need an excuse to practice and read through all the books I
have laying around. I'll probably do some writing along with this too, but I'll keep
track of it myself.

I'm not putting my updates for this challenge in my TAC log, so I've
started another blog for this purpose.
Hopefully I'll be able to keep up with it better than I have with my TAC log so far! ;D

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5129 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 96 of 656
30 April 2012 at 11:26pm | IP Logged 
38 minutes to wait still here in Europe before we start - Robin Hood is in my computer - just waiting for the clock to strike 12 for me to begin to watch, and in the kitchen and the bathroom and my utility room the CD-players are loaded up with Pimsleur and Michel Thomas in Russian for the 6WC. Ready to go!

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 656 messages over 82 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version