Joined 4591 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 161 of 656
04 May 2012 at 1:28pm | IP Logged 
First Update:

1. Books: Japanese Graded Readers Levels 1 and 2. Each level has 3 volumes, and
each volume has 5 books, so, I'm not sure how to count exactly. I guess I'll just count
each volume as a book, since these were relatively short, even though they were longer
than children's books, definitely. So, two books until now.

2. Film: 2 episodes of the TV show JIN. Each was about 55 minutes, so that
should count as 1 film.

Also, here's a link to my just paste it sheet where I'll be noting down all the
materials covered to keep a tab on things and have an exhaustive list at the end of the
challenge. Woodsei
I've also posted the link to my profile.

Good luck all!
1 person has voted this message useful

maydayayday
Pentaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5013 days ago

564 posts - 839 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, SpanishB2, FrenchB2
Studies: Arabic (Egyptian), Russian, Swedish, Turkish, Polish, Persian, Vietnamese
Studies: Urdu

Message 162 of 656
04 May 2012 at 3:06pm | IP Logged 
fiziwig wrote:
maydayayday wrote:

The first of the kids HP DVD's I tried doesn't have the audio in other languages.....

I got mine at WalMart and one of the disks did not have a Spanish language track on it. I went back to the store and checked the backs of the packages and some had Spanish and French and some had only French tracks and others had none. Very strange! I was able to trade in my Deathly Hallows Part 1 disk with no Spanish for a copy that did have the Spanish track.

I've checked my supplier - [makes it sound sinister doesn't it?] - and from what I've seen on the shelves the most common language options to have on a disc in the UK seem to be English/Sign with Hungarian and Polish.

Must get myself a new dealer!

becks
United States
Joined 4508 days ago

5 posts - 11 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Russian

Message 163 of 656
04 May 2012 at 10:56pm | IP Logged 
LANGUAGE: Spanish

CHALLENGE:100/100 (Full)

CURRENT LEVEL: Somewhere in the A2 range

Exams finish as of next week so I'll begin after next weekend! When I have a moment I'll register with the bot as well.

fiziwig
United States
Joined 4659 days ago

297 posts - 618 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 164 of 656
05 May 2012 at 12:18am | IP Logged 
Well I'm in big trouble now!

I've been meaning to read "Hunger Games" in my native English, but I also need to do my daily Spanish reading for the challenge. So instead of reading my graded readers in Spanish, and Hunger Games in English, I got the Kindle edition of Hunger Games in Spanish. That's 384 pages! Way more than I intended to tackle this early on, but I'm a dozen pages into it so far, and It's going pretty well! But still, 384 pages! That's a lot to bite off. I hope I can chew it. :)

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5128 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 165 of 656
05 May 2012 at 12:38am | IP Logged 
fiziwig wrote:
Well I'm in big trouble now!

I've been meaning to read "Hunger Games" in my native English, but I also need to do my daily Spanish
reading for the challenge. So instead of reading my graded readers in Spanish, and Hunger Games in 
English, I got the Kindle edition of Hunger Games in Spanish. That's 384 pages! Way more than I intended
to tackle this early on, but I'm a dozen pages into it so far, and It's going pretty well! But still, 384 pages!
That's a lot to bite off. I hope I can chew it. :)

I am confident you can!

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5128 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 166 of 656
05 May 2012 at 8:55am | IP Logged 
UPDATE

FILMS

1. Robin Hood (May 1st)
2. The Jungle Book (May 1st)

3. The Jungle Book 3 May 5th.

At first I just screamed when I found out that the dubbing was not done properly - it was one of those typical Russian dubbings where you hear the English in between - or first - or under - or whatever. However after a little while I managed to use it to my advantage, so that when I heard something in English I could check it up against the Russian, and how much I understood. Unlike the two previous ones, I had never seen this one before - in fact I did not even realize there was a sequel, but it was o.k. as these things go. And it may be delusion on my part, but it felt like I understood so much more than before. I am starting out nicely with the children's films, and will evantually go on to the ones for adults which have a more advanced vocabulary.

Still: learning so much already!

CONVERSATION

1. Conversation May 1st
2. Conversation May 1st.

I cannot list anything in the reading department yet. I am such a slow reader in Russian, it makes me crazy. If I just push on without looking anything up I can manage to do 10 pages in an hour now, but when I yesterday started looking words up, I was down to 4 pages an hour. Had I looked up everything I guess I would have been down to half a page per hour.

Still, I have managed to read over a 100 pages of the book already, so I have made some progress this week :-)

Tamise
Triglot
United Kingdom
jllrr.wordpress.com/
Joined 5037 days ago

115 posts - 161 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Dutch
Studies: French, Japanese, Spanish

Message 167 of 656
05 May 2012 at 10:42am | IP Logged 
Week 1 Update

FILMS:

1. Ozamu Tezuka's Metropolis
2. Babylon 5 Season 1 Episodes 1-2
3. Babylon 3 Season 1 Episodes 3-4

First time I'd seen Metropolis, so was approaching that fresh - I understood enough to really enjoy it. Watched with no subs.

I've watched Babylon 5 often enough to know the story, which is a sort of advantage (not too sure, as it gives a false sense of how much I've understood).

BOOKS:

1. 齋藤孝のイッキによめる!名作選 小学1年生

Found this more difficult that I was expecting, but then again, it is the first Japanese book I've read that's not manga.

Overall, I didn't get as much reading done this week as I had hoped, mainly due to having lots of study to do (I work full-time and study part-time). I did get more watched that I had planned though, so it sort of evens out. I'll probably update here every Friday evening/Saturday morning with the week's progress - my study week with uni starts on Saturdays, so I use that for my language study too.

Tamise
Triglot
United Kingdom
jllrr.wordpress.com/
Joined 5037 days ago

115 posts - 161 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Dutch
Studies: French, Japanese, Spanish

Message 168 of 656
05 May 2012 at 10:45am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Still, I have managed to read over a 100 pages of the book already, so I have made some progress this week :-)

That's a fair chunk - and you'll definitely get quicker. My Japanese reading speed was abysmal until I decided to concentrate on getting the sounds for a while and not concentrate on the meaning too - that way I got familiar enough with hiragana (and to a lesser extent katakana) that it doesn't phase me now. (We'll not mention kanji...)

This discussion contains 656 messages over 82 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version