Studies: Spanish

Message 426 of 656
03 July 2012 at 12:56am | IP Logged 
Update: Spanish

Films: 35

Books: 3

Conversations: 2

Writing: 1

Okay, so this is my first update in this thread. I've not been following along, as I
already spend way to much time on the site, I genuinely fear that if I where to
try and keep up all the challenge threads that I wouldn't spend enough time on the
actual challenge itself.

To be honest, I've not spent to much time focusing on the challenge, as I'm preoccupied    
with getting through fsi, which really is a beast of a course, and completing a couple
of Grammar books, something I feel I realy need to do at the moment.

I've made good headway on the films front, as listening comprehension practice is a
huge priority for me. I would say that roughly half of my film count is made up of
learning podcasts, and the other half of native content.
I think a great synergy is achieved by combining the two.

I have been focusing on extensive rather than intensive listening, I.E
getting the jist of a range of material but not repeatedly listening to the same
material. I am planning on switching over to an intensive regime soon though, by trying
out Ari's Chinesepod method, and using the excellent resources which can be found at
Audiria.com

I regularly listen to espanol podcast and Spanishpod, both of which are excellent. I
have listened to notes in Spanish a bit, which I feel is inferior in many ways to the
other 2.

I have watched several interesting documentaries on RTVES. I will compose a list of
interesting content when I get the chance. I have noticed that there is a big
difference between listening to narration, which I find Quite easy, and actual dialog
as can be found in films.

I have read some of the FSI readings, a basic parallel text and a graded reader. I'm
also close to finishing Carlos Casteneda's "viaje a ixtlan".

Once I have finished FSI I will put a lot more attention on the challenge, and do a
better job of recording what I have read/watched and what I thought about it.

Edited by dbag on 03 July 2012 at 12:58am

1 person has voted this message useful

hjordis
United States
snapshotsoftheworld.
Joined 4981 days ago

209 posts - 264 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 427 of 656
03 July 2012 at 3:45am | IP Logged 
Japanese Books

1. HunterxHunter treasures vol.1 manga 788 pages=157 pages
2. HunterxHunter treasures vol.2 manga 520 pages=104 pages
3. HunterxHunter treasures vol.3 manga 482 pages=96 pages

I finally finished this one. 3 More to go and then I can start working on my other books.

Japanese Movies

1. となりのトトロ
2.魔法の宅急便
3.崖の上のポニョ

French Books

1. Easy French Reader 100 pages
2. Harry Potter à L'école des Sorciers 305 pages

French Movies

1. Le Roi Lion
2. Mon Voisin Totoro
3. Les Chroniques de Narnia : L'Armoire Magique
4. Ponyo sur la Falaise

French Writings

1. Présenter Moi-Même (58 words)

I have the day off tomorrow and I can't go online even if I want to so I'm hoping I can get a lot done.

Tamise
Triglot
United Kingdom
jllrr.wordpress.com/
Joined 5038 days ago

115 posts - 161 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Dutch
Studies: French, Japanese, Spanish

Message 428 of 656
03 July 2012 at 7:47am | IP Logged 
3/7/12 Update

JAPANESE FILMS:

9. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
10. Kindaichi Volumne 1
11. Backdancers

All watched in Japanese with no subs. The Kindaichi anime episodes were actually the same story as one of the manga I read recently, so I knew the story. Backdancers is not my normal kind of movie - it's about a group of dancers who are the backing group for a singer and is the story of what they do when she decides to move on. (I thought she went to get married, but a review I read said she wanted to go solo, which doesn't really make much sense, so I'm not sure who was wrong.) Fun, and fairly light.

JAPANESE BOOKS:

7. 齋藤孝のゼッタイこれだけ!名作教室 小学1年上 読解力がグングンのびる!
+ Manga: 1 Young Kindaichi Case Files, Cowa

Another set of short stories. I preferred these to the last set. Think this is partly because these ones (like the first set I read) contain summaries and discussion of the stories within the text. I find this helps to clarify things I didn't understand. 2 more manga - Kindaichi again, and also Cowa. Cowa I would really recommend - it's the story of a half were-koala half vampire boy, his ghost friend and the monster village they live in.

FRENCH FILMS:

2. NYPD Blue S1 E3-4
3. M*A*S*H S1 E1-4
4. M*A*S*H S1 E5-8
5. La cage aux folles
6. M*A*S*H S1 E9-11
7. M*A*S*H S1 E12-16
8. Petits meurtres en famille episode 1

I discovered I'm not that keen on NYPD Blue and that my M*A*S*H DVDs have a French dub on them! Also watched La cage aux folles - prefer the American version, but this one has it's moments. Petits meurtres en famille is a modern French adaptation of Hercule Poirot's Christmas, with the action moved to France and no Poirot. So far, so good, though a little slow as it's 4 x 90-minute telemovies for the whole story. This set was followed by several more (think still ongoing) with one 90 minute episode per story. After having watched the first episode of this set, I'll definitely get the others at some point.

FRENCH BOOKS:

2. Le meurtre de Roger Ackroyd

I really like this book. It's a while since I read it, and it was fun to give it a go in French.

GENERAL

Happy with my progress so far, though need to do some more reading. Having busted an already fragile shoulder recently, I'm not able to do as much uni study as normal, so reading and watching stuff in Japanese and French has gained some time from that.

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6415 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 429 of 656
03 July 2012 at 8:02am | IP Logged 
UPDATE

Movies:
1. となりのトトロ (Tonari no Totoro) «My Neighbor Totoro» (w/o sub)
2. 魔女の宅急便 (Majo no Takkyūbin), “Kiki’s Delivery Service” (w/ norwegian sub) + (w/o sub)
3. 歩いても歩いても (Aruitemo Aruitemo) “Still Walking” (w/o sub) + (w/norwegian sub) + (w/o sub)
4. 雨月物語 (Ugetsu Monogatari)”Tales of Moonlight and Rain” (w/o sub) + (w/english sub) + (w/o sub)
*5. Tokyo Sonata (w/o subs)

I had been intending to watch this in my usual way -- w/o subs, w/subs, w/o subs, but life got in the way and I only managed to see it once before having to return it to the library. It’s from a library in another town, so I only borrow movies from there if I know I’m going back within a week and can return them, so it will be a while before I can borrow it again.

Anyway, here is my guess as to what it was about. It’s from 2008 when the economic crisis hit. It’s about a guy who loses his apparently very good job. He’s ashamed of being out of work, so every day he puts on his suit and acts like he’s going to work when he’s actually going to the employment office. Meanwhile a burglar breaks into his house and finding that there is no money, kidnaps his wife instead. She has several opportunities to escape, but chooses not to. I got the impression that she was trying to get away from her life and start fresh. Anyway, the man and his wife both die. Before dying they both say, “I want to do it over.” A little while later, they get up and eat dinner. Some other people died too, but they didn’t get up to eat dinner afterwards (presumably they weren’t all that hungry).

If I get the chance to watch it over, I might actually figure out what it’s about and will be able to give it a proper review.

Books:
1. ハリー・ポッターとアズカバンの囚人 (HP 3) (639 pg)
2. ハリー・ポッターと炎のゴブレット (HP 4) (1005 pg)

Writing:
1. 自己紹介 (75 words)
2. 大挑戦 (114 words)
3. 新しい仕事を引き受けるか今の仕事を続ける か ―― 私の両刀論法 (313 words)

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4684 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 430 of 656
03 July 2012 at 8:05am | IP Logged 
Tamise - if you still have La Cage aux Folles, it's the only French flic I've watched recently that also has
subtitles in French. It really helped catch more of the humor. I wish more movies did this.

dbag
United Kingdom
Joined 4817 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 431 of 656
03 July 2012 at 11:16am | IP Logged 
What has frustrated me the most? The lack of English DVDs that come with Spanish
subtitles. I'm truly surprised by this, I would of thought they would all have
Spanish Subtitles, being such an important language.

Has anyone else found this? I went through a box that must of had near to 50 DVDs in,
and there where maybe 2 that had Spanish subtitles! Crazy.

Anya
Pentaglot
France
Joined 5588 days ago

636 posts - 708 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, FrenchC1, English, Italian, Spanish
Studies: German, Japanese, Hungarian, Sanskrit, Portuguese, Turkish, Mandarin
Studies: Ancient Greek, Hindi

Message 432 of 656
03 July 2012 at 11:39am | IP Logged 
Sorry, I put my English update to the wrong thread, it shoud be in "Advanced Challenge".
And now:
Update: Spanish
Books: 32 pages
-“Ines del alma mia “

films: 91 minutes
-audiobook V.Woolf 16 minutes
- songs (Julio Iglesias, 2 albums 1978) 75 minutes

This discussion contains 656 messages over 82 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version