teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5350 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 169 of 656
05 May 2012 at 11:01am | IP Logged 
@Solfrid Cristin
I feel your frustration here...hearing English and Russian dubbing simultaneously (especially when it's that half-awake guy who does the same monotone voice for everyone) makes me want to claw the walls. I just can't do it, I have to switch the dvd player off in fear of all too quickly losing my sanity! So you're to be commended for sticking with it regardless.

And as for reading, my efforts at battling Cyrillic still fall into a similar category. Most the time it feels like I'm hacking away at the overgrowth in an endless jungle of grammar...with a plastic spoon!! So much so that (even with my painfully slow reading speed in German) it was a joy to pick up a book afterwards where I could at least understand around 95% of the vocab and maintain the delusion of flow. But hey...this isn't going to faze us, is it!? By the time we've got through a hundred books and films, we're going to slice through Crime and Punishment like a knife through butter and wonder how we ever even once found it hard. :)
3 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4703 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 170 of 656
05 May 2012 at 12:31pm | IP Logged 
UPDATE

FRENCH FILMS

1. French in Action Lessons 2-4.
2. TV5 shows (1 hour 40 mins total).

I watched the end of a documentary, about an hour of news, and a few kids' cartoons with my daughter. We picked the ones she liked best to record daily.

FRENCH BOOKS

Still working on two different books.

HINDI FILMS

Started Dhobi Ghat (Mumbai Diaries), but my wife wanted to watch regular TV. I'll try to finish it tonight.

HINDI BOOKS

Haven't read anything yet.
1 person has voted this message useful

Tecktight
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
Joined 4770 days ago

227 posts - 327 votes 
Speaks: English*, Serbian
Studies: German, Russian, Estonian

Message 171 of 656
05 May 2012 at 7:23pm | IP Logged 
UPDATE

GERMAN FILMS (no subtitles)
-Fremde Haut
-Machen wir's auf Finnisch

RUSSIAN (no subtitles)
-Алиса в стране чудес (in progress--about 1/2 way done)

This week was weak work, because I have final exams next week. Once I'm finished next Thursday and fly home,
I'll have almost two full weeks of rest and relaxation in which I plan to spend hours and hours a day watching
films and reading. :)

Edited by Tecktight on 05 May 2012 at 7:25pm

Katze
Diglot
Germany
Joined 4854 days ago

11 posts - 11 votes
Speaks: German*, EnglishC1
Studies: French, Japanese

Message 172 of 656
05 May 2012 at 8:46pm | IP Logged 
Update

Film:
1. Film: InuYasha the Movie: Affections Touching Across Time (100 min) (1st May)

2. InuYasha, episodes 1 - 4 (95 min) (5th May)

I count the four episodes as one film. I watched them without subtitles, but before that I watched them in German. Unfortunately the German dub is sometimes more then painfully wrong. The next episodes I will watch first with subtitles (these are correct) and then without, counting only the one, which I watch without subs. Well, I have 26 DVDs of the serie and 4 movies of InuYasha, so that will keep me busy for the next weeks.

Books:
Well, I startet already with reading, even finished my first children book. So I have now 1/5 book (Issunboushi).

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4703 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 173 of 656
05 May 2012 at 11:10pm | IP Logged 
UPDATE

FRENCH FILMS

1. French in Action Lessons 2-4.
2. TV5 shows (1 hour 40 mins total).

FRENCH BOOKS

Still working on two different books.

HINDI FILMS

1. Dhobhi Ghat (Mumbai Diaries). Not at all a typical Hindi film. First of all, there were no musical numbers!! It was an interesting look at the lives of a few people in Mumbai. A bit slow and thoughtful.

HINDI BOOKS

Haven't read anything yet.

dbag
United Kingdom
Joined 4816 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 174 of 656
05 May 2012 at 11:19pm | IP Logged 
UPDATE

Bit of a late start on this one as I have been traveling in Hungary and the Czech
Republic. However I have managed 50 pages of reading material.

Also, I'm proud to be able to log 1 hour of conversation ,as I spent some time with 2
girls from Chile, and also had a conversation with a big group of very nice people from
Alicante this morning.

Actually feeling pretty smug as they heaped praise on my Spanish, which is awesome
after all the hard work I've put in! Mustn't let it get to my head though, there's a
long way to go yet, although I feel like I've won a small battle getting this far.

I understand writing is now an option? Then Ill be in for that too. I need to catch up
with this thread first thing tomorrow.

SivartM
United States
Joined 4791 days ago

7 posts - 8 votes
Studies: Esperanto, Welsh, Spanish, Russian, Arabic (Written), Norwegian

Message 175 of 656
06 May 2012 at 4:25am | IP Logged 
LANGUAGE: Spanish

CHALLENGE: Full

CURRENT LEVEL: A1

COMMENTS: I took Spanish in high school but most of it's fallen out of my memory; the
language hasn't had the appeal that most others have, for some reason. This is, however,
the most "useful" language for me to learn, and there's an abundance of books and movies
available, and I wanted to work on Spanish this summer anyway, so why not?

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4482 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 176 of 656
06 May 2012 at 4:58am | IP Logged 
UPDATE

FILMS, ETC. (French)

1. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Not much dialogue, but 2.5 hours long, so it works out. Switched back and forth between French/English and
English/French for audio and subtitles.

Now that I want to go back and edit my justpaste.it log, it appears I can no longer edit the note. Dang.

No other finished projects yet, but I'm well into HP1 in French, HP4 in Dutch (will be two books when I finish), Naar
Het Middlelpunt Der Aarde (audiobook, will count it as 4 movies when I finish), as well as HP1 for German, which
I'm reading a chapter ahead of the French, to make it easier to understand.

This discussion contains 656 messages over 82 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version