brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6414 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 458 of 656
12 July 2012 at 2:40pm | IP Logged 
Movies:
1. となりのトトロ (Tonari no Totoro) «My Neighbor Totoro» (w/o sub)
2. 魔女の宅急便 (Majo no Takkyūbin), “Kiki’s Delivery Service” (w/ norwegian sub) + (w/o sub)
3. 歩いても歩いても (Aruitemo Aruitemo) “Still Walking” (w/o sub) + (w/norwegian sub) + (w/o sub)
4. 雨月物語 (Ugetsu Monogatari)”Tales of Moonlight and Rain” (w/o sub) + (w/english sub) + (w/o sub)
5. Tokyo Sonata (w/o subs)

Books:
1. ハリー・ポッターとアズカバンの囚人 (HP 3) (639 pg)
2. ハリー・ポッターと炎のゴブレット (HP 4) (1005 pg)
* 3. ハリー・ポッターと不死鳥の騎士団 (HP 5) (1356 pg)

Writing:
1. 自己紹介 (75 words)
2. 大挑戦 (114 words)
3. 新しい仕事を引き受けるか今の仕事を続ける か ―― 私の両刀論法 (313 words)

UPDATE
I finally finished reading Harry Potter #5, only 2.5 weeks behind schedule. I was doing fine, but then some unpleasant meetings and some interviews got in the way. So, now I just have to catch up again. I’m going to the US soon, so I think I’ll take #6 with me. In the meantime, maybe I’ll relax with some manga.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Marikki
Tetraglot
Finland
Joined 5289 days ago

130 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Spanish, Swedish
Studies: German

Message 459 of 656
12 July 2012 at 8:36pm | IP Logged 
Brun Ugle wrote:

UPDATE
I finally finished reading Harry Potter #5, only 2.5 weeks behind schedule. I was doing fine, but then some
unpleasant meetings and some interviews got in the way. So, now I just have to catch up again. I’m going to
the US soon, so I think I’ll take #6 with me. In the meantime, maybe I’ll relax with some manga.

I know you are planning to read 22 000 pages more, but still, 3 000 pages Japanese by now.. not bad.
1 person has voted this message useful

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4327 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 460 of 656
12 July 2012 at 9:35pm | IP Logged 
Anya wrote:
Update: Spanish

films: 146 minutes
-audiobook V.Woolf 16 minutes
- songs (Julio Iglesias, 2 albums 1978) 75 minutes
-other songs 55 minutes

Is listening to music albums equivalent to watching movies? I hadn't realized.

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4683 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 461 of 656
13 July 2012 at 4:40am | IP Logged 
Book Update (741 pages):

1. Vingt mille lieues sous les mers - première partie. Jules Verne, 1870. (Last 50 pages)
2. Madame Bovary. Gustave Flaubert, 1856. (384 pages)
3. Rohan au Louvre. Hirohiko Araki, 2010. (manga)
4. Les aventures de Tintin, volume 5 : Le lotus bleu, Hergé, 1936. (bandes dessinées)
5. Astérix le gaulois, Rene Goscinny, 1961. (bandes dessinées)

6. Le Grand Meaulnes, Alain-Fournier, 1913. (246 pages)

This was a very haunting book dealing with the dreams of youth, the bonds of friendship, lost love, and a mysterious chateau hidden deep in the woods. I don't want to write too much because part of the pleasure is not knowing quite where the author is headed with the story.

It's not a perfect book - the author was young, and it shows at times (there are a lot of heartfelt conversations at night in the rain) - but it is a beautiful one. I've heard that it's a standard in French classrooms, and that every teen reads it (can anyone confirm this?), sort of like To Kill a Mockingbird or Catcher in the Rye are in the US.

This is a much easier read than my last book! Alain-Fournier uses simpler language than Flaubert; a meadow is always un pré, the light is always soft and lueur, and the winter wind is always glacée. This was a welcome change from Flaubert, who I don't think ever used the same word twice.

The only language challenge I faced was with the frequent tense changes; the narrator would often shift to the conditionell as they described what they could've done, or wish they had done. If I tried to read too fast I would miss this, and think I was reading actual events rather than a character's inner thoughts.

I used a paperback version, and had a parallel text I used as back up. That last link is my own send-space account, so it's safe to download!   I didn't like the translation much; it didn't seem to have the same magical quality the French did, and some of the names were awkward - "Ganache" became "Bobby," and "Le Grand Meaulnes" became "Admiral Meaulnes" (which makes no sense whatsoever). Nonetheless, I used it a lot; I'm not quite at the point where I can read freely.

Final verdict: highly recommended.

Next up: I'm in the mood for more romance and adventure, and I'm torn between Le hussard sur le toit by Jean Giono (1953) or Vendredi ou les limbes du pacifique by Michel Tournier (1967). I'll try them both out tonight, and see which I have an easier time with.

Edited by kanewai on 13 July 2012 at 5:08am

3 persons have voted this message useful

LangWanderer
Diglot
Pro Member
Australia
digintoenglish.com
Joined 4332 days ago

74 posts - 97 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Korean, French, Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 462 of 656
13 July 2012 at 5:39am | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:

This is a much easier read than my last book! Alain-Fournier uses simpler language than Flaubert; a meadow is always un pré, the light is always soft and lueur, and the winter wind is always glacée. This was a welcome change from Flaubert, who I don't think ever used the same word twice.

The only language challenge I faced was with the frequent tense changes; the narrator would often shift to the conditionell as they described what they could've done, or wish they had done. If I tried to read too fast I would miss this, and think I was reading actual events rather than a character's inner thoughts.

Final verdict: highly recommended.

Thanks for the review and the parallel text Kanewai! Le Grand Meaulnes is on my shelf, but I was intimidated by the prospect of a century-old vocabulary and writing style. It's great to know that it's not so hard to read.

Edited by LangWanderer on 13 July 2012 at 5:41am

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6414 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 463 of 656
13 July 2012 at 9:09am | IP Logged 
Marikki wrote:
Brun Ugle wrote:

UPDATE
I finally finished reading Harry Potter #5, only 2.5 weeks behind schedule. I was doing fine, but then some
unpleasant meetings and some interviews got in the way. So, now I just have to catch up again. I’m going to
the US soon, so I think I’ll take #6 with me. In the meantime, maybe I’ll relax with some manga.

I know you are planning to read 22 000 pages more, but still, 3 000 pages Japanese by now.. not bad.

Thank you. Thank you.

I will be taking the Japanese version of book 6 to the States, but not the English version since I don't want to fill up my suitcase too much. (I usually go with almost empty suitcases so I can buy lots of clothes there. Much cheaper and also easier to find my size. Norwegian women seem to have narrow hips and thin legs, but the only parts of me that are moderately thin are my waist and my hands.) Anyway, I did fine with the first 3 books, but on the 4th, I had to look things up occasionally in the English version. It was even worse with the 5th book. So, we'll see how the 6th book goes when I have to read without any crutches. Maybe it'll be good for me.

Anya
Pentaglot
France
Joined 5587 days ago

636 posts - 708 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, FrenchC1, English, Italian, Spanish
Studies: German, Japanese, Hungarian, Sanskrit, Portuguese, Turkish, Mandarin
Studies: Ancient Greek, Hindi

Message 464 of 656
13 July 2012 at 3:07pm | IP Logged 
@patrickwilken

I guess, listening to music is equivalent to watching movies, in condition there is no repeats (so one should find 50 different albums)

This discussion contains 656 messages over 82 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version