Joined 4591 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 265 of 656
17 May 2012 at 1:53pm | IP Logged 
Update #2

1. Books: The Little Prince Japanese version. I read it through 3 times, so I'm
sure it's over 100 pages. I'm still slow with reading in Japanese, but hopefully, the
challenge will fix all that!

2. Films/Drama: This where I've been spending most of my time!

1. Doctors 最強の名医 (Seikyou no Meii): A great medical drama about how sometimes
medical care can focus more on financial figures, the conveniences of physicians, and
hospital bureaucracy rather than the patients' well-being, which is sadly very true,
and how one newly-hired physician is getting around all of that through smart and gutsy
tactics. A really gripping show, and not corny or over-rated at all. It's got it's
funny, sad, and hardcore moments, as well as a great cast, so, for Japanese learners
out there, a must see. I've watched 3 episodes around 50 minutes each.

2. Saikou no Jinsei no Owarikata ~Ending Planner~ (最高の人生の終り方~エンディングプラン � �ー
~):
This is such an awesome drama! It's both heart-wrenching and heart-warming. This drama
revolves around a young man who quits his job and takes over his father's family
business after he suddenly dies, a funeral parlor responsible for burying the dead. He
hated his father's job so much, and left home after he graduated college, then after a
number of experiences he decides to take over. It's not your typical detective story,
because it shows a whole new angle to mysteries surrounding the death of the
individual, the individual in question, and his relatives, friends, and contacts. It
really gives an entirely human aspect to the cases, as well as a major focus on the
main character's life and his family, unlike other detective dramas which focus more on
the case rather than the victim. There's so much to the drama in terms of teaching one
to appreciate life and the little things in it. It is really acted out perfectly by the
cast, and their is comedy, and of course, heartbreaking moments since the main theme of
the story is death. I've watched 5 episodes so far, around 50 minutes each.

3. Nodame Cantabille: Hilarious, sweet, and moving is how I would describe it. A
troubled college student musician who wants to be a conductor, and a ditzy, but genius,
gril pianist, his colleague at college, and neighbor, who falls in love with him at
first site. Very funny and moving. It triggered my love for piano again! Revolves
around music, their story, as well as their music friends, endeavors in both music and
relationships. I loved it so much :) Watched all 10 episodes, I think 56 minutes each,
and still have to watch the movie.

So I think it counts like this:

Doctors: 1 film and a half.
Saikyou: 2 films and a half
Nodame Cantabille: 5 films

I guess a total of 9 films. And 1 book. I didn't use subs, for most of it, and I was
able to follow at a much better rate than before. LR really helped me with that.

So that's it for now. I will finish the above, and probably re-watch them again because
they're so good, then come back and post newer dramas and films that I have on my
queue. I will also update my paste it sheet soon.

EDIT: I edited the names above.

Edited by Woodsei on 21 May 2012 at 5:00am

1 person has voted this message useful

microsnout
TAC 2010 Winner
Canada
microsnout.wordpress
Joined 5265 days ago

277 posts - 553 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 266 of 656
17 May 2012 at 2:36pm | IP Logged 
Update #7

35/100 Films

"30 Vies", Season 1 Episodes 21-40 (20 episodes of 22 min each)

"30 Vies", Season 1 Episodes 01-20 (20 episodes of 22 min each)

"Toute la vérité", Season 3 Vol 1 (10 episodes of 45 min each)
"Toute la vérité", Season 2 (20 episodes of 45 min each)
"Toute la vérité", Season 1 (20 episodes of 45 min each)

I'm sure I will slow down after I get through these TV series and switch to the 35 movies I have waiting - and the reading.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5128 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 267 of 656
17 May 2012 at 2:38pm | IP Logged 
In case someone has missed it, I just wanted you to know that we have made a slight modification to the rules. Every 100 pages counts as a book.

This means that if you read a 495 page book it will count as 4 books in stead of 1. And if you read 5 of the pages twice it will count as 5 :-)

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4703 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 268 of 656
17 May 2012 at 6:14pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
In case someone has missed it, I just wanted you to know that we have made a slight modification to the rules. Every 100 pages counts as a book.

This means that if you read a 495 page book it will count as 4 books in stead of 1. And if you read 5 of the pages twice it will count as 5 :-)

Does this mean that for children's books, comics, and mange, we simply divide the page count by 5? It would probably simplify things for people. Certainly the page counting will simplify counting for those who are reading articles and such.

Has the bot been updated to reflect the change in rules?

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6414 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 269 of 656
17 May 2012 at 8:32pm | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
Solfrid Cristin wrote:

Does this mean that for children's books, comics, and mange, we simply divide the page count by 5? It would probably simplify things for people. Certainly the page counting will simplify counting for those who are reading articles and such.

Has the bot been updated to reflect the change in rules?

The bot has been updated.

I agree that the easiest way to count things like manga would be to divide the page count by 5 since we had agreed earlier that 5 manga count as one book. I have so far avoided manga because of my uncertainty about how to count the pages. I prefer to count pages rather than books, so if we could all agree to just divide by 5, I think that would be great. What does everyone else think? Does that sound fair?

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4683 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 270 of 656
17 May 2012 at 9:34pm | IP Logged 
I don't think I've read a manga, but I have a couple graphic novels. If they're the
same, then "Divide by Five" seems fair.

I see a couple people listing coursebooks like Assimil. I'm torn about whether to
include that on my count, since I don't 'read' it in the same way that I read a novel.
Do we have any standard protocol for that?

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5128 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 271 of 656
17 May 2012 at 10:13pm | IP Logged 
Dividing manga by 5 is fine, and I have said previously that it is ok. to count a textbook as a book, provided
you have started or redone the reading after May 1st, and there is at least 100 pages of actual text in your
target language. In a book like Assimil that can be a bit tricky to count, since there are so many notes and
parallel texts, that it can be difficult to know when you reach a 100 actual pages of text.

Luna Moonsilver
Diglot
Groupie
Germany
lunaslanglog.wordpreRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4872 days ago

77 posts - 99 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Mandarin, Korean

Message 272 of 656
17 May 2012 at 10:20pm | IP Logged 
Update 01

German
Books: I finished the last 70 something pages of Harry Potter und der Stein der
Weisen
; with the first 40 pages of Harry Potter und die Kammer des
Schreckens
, that's one book under the new bot rules. (Wooh!)So: 01/50.

Films: I watched Der König der Löwen, but accidentally registered it as 90
minutes instead of 80, so I'm going to adjust the next film to fix that. (Also, I need
to make sure I read the rules properly next time -_-). Total: 01/50.

Chinese
Books: I'm reading a children's book, 《吹牛大战》but I don't think I'm even 5 pages
through, so nothing's been registered! Books are hard for Chinese; I need to get some
more vocabulary under my belt and it's more or less what I'm going to spend the summer
working on. Total: 000/100.

Films: I'm watching a TV series, 《宫-鎖心玉》and I've watched the equivalent of 9 films
- nearly 14 hours! I count each episode as 45 minutes, so by the time I'm done with the
series I should have watched almost 18 films. Total: 009/100.

Writing: I've written one piece on lang-8, describing the Super Challenge -《超级挑战》.
I'm really glad I decided to do this part of the challenge; I'm writing my entries out
by hand before I type them up so that I practice the characters and have time to think
about what I'm doing. It's fun! Total: 001/100.

Whew, that seems like a lot more than I thought. I'm going to finish the children's
book and work my way through the rest of the Harry Potter series in German - I need to
find some more German films though; I only really have the ones I've used for school or
university and they're not always my cup of tea :/

Edited by Luna Moonsilver on 17 May 2012 at 10:21pm

This discussion contains 656 messages over 82 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version