fiziwig
United States
Joined 4660 days ago

297 posts - 618 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 361 of 656
14 June 2012 at 8:09am | IP Logged 
I have a two week break before my next Spanish class begins. I'm going to devote my time to reading. I'm working on Hunger Games book three (English title: Mockingjay). At the moment I'm averaging about 15 to 18 pages per hour. After I finish this book I'm going to jump back into the Harry Potter series starting with book 2, since I've already read book 1 twice.

Watched the movie "Viva Cuba" yesterday. I recommend it for Spanish students. The Cuban Spanish is a little difficult, but the movie is very enjoyable, and touching. It's on Netflix streaming.
1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5129 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 362 of 656
16 June 2012 at 9:44am | IP Logged 
So - I am feeling a bit overwhelmed at doing both a Super Duper Challenge in Russian, and an Advanced Super Challenge in French in addition to having started to flirt with Mandarin and Mongolian. So what do I do to help the situation? I'll add half a Super Duper Challenge in German!

REGISTRATION

LANGUAGE: German

CHALLENGE: HALF SUPER DUPER(50 FILMS, 50 BOOKS, 50 30 MINUTE CONVERSATIONS)

CURRENT LEVEL; It is hopefully somewhere in the B1 area.

COMMENTS: I have not had a real asessment of my German since 1979, but I can speak it when I have to, but feel uncomfortable doing so. It is one of my focus languages this year, and since my daughter has started to make me watch a series in German, and I probably will want to take German as one of my Tadoku languages, I might as well add it.

Yes. I know, I am out of my mind, but my thoughts are these: I will be doing a lot of German anyway, and as long as I have put it into a Super Challenge, I will not feel that I am wasting my time. If I get to New Year 2013 without having completed it, it is not the end of the world, I will still have done more than if I had not registred . And If I do manage all three challenges my languages will have taken a gigantic leap forwards :-)

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 16 June 2012 at 9:02pm

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5129 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 363 of 656
16 June 2012 at 9:24pm | IP Logged 
RUSSIAN UPDATE

FILMS
1. Robin Hood (May 1st)(Russian, no subs)
2. The Jungle Book (May 1st)(Russian, no subs)
3. The Jungle Book 3 (May 5th)(Russian, no subs)
4. Love and other impossible pursuits (Russian, no subs)(May 10th)
5. Letters to Juliet (May 10th)(with Russian subtitles).
6. Water for Elephants (May 12th) (Russian, no subs)
7. The Lincoln Advocate (May 13th) Russian - no subs
8. When in Rome (May 17th) (Russian, no subs)
9. Keinohrhasen June 1st (no subs)

CONVERSATION
1. Conversation (May 1st)
2. Conversation (May 1st).
3. Conversation (May 24th)Week end plans
4. Conversation (May 24th)Plans birthday
5. Conversation (May 26th) Travel plans
6. Conversation (May 26th) Visit from Russia
7. Conversation (May 29th) The place I live
8. Conversation (May 29th) My hobbies
9. Conversation (May 29th) Me
10.Conversation (May 29th) My family
11.Conversation (May 29th) Don't remember, but I had a fantastic time. (A really good bottle of wine and two Russians involved)
12.Conversation (May 30th)Language studies
13.Conversation (May 30th) Spain

READING
1. Appointment with death (AC) May 8th) (280 pages)

NEWEST ITEM - FILM
10. Dr. Zhivago - two episodes of the Russian series.

Predictably enough, it was a lot more brutal than than the American film of the same book, but it is supposed to be very close to the book itself. I was lucky enough to have a Russian friend by my side who explained the words I needed to know (not all obviously, but the ones I was curious about). I look forward to seeing the rest of the serie - there are 10 or 11 episodes all together.

GERMAN UPDATE

FILMS (June 15-16)
1. Hawaii 5-0 ep. 1-2
2. Hawaii 5-0 ep. 3-4
3. Hawaii 5.0 ep. 5-6
4. Hawaii 5-0 ep. 7-8
5. Hawaii 5-0 ep. 9-10

So - Just 10 episodes (5 films) in German, and my German is already starting to improve a little bit. I bet the next 40 films will do the trick! I love the scenery in Hawaii. Due to its location and the cost of going there, Hawaii is not a place I am likely to ever visit, but just seeing it on TV is great. And both my 16 year old daughter and I howl just as loudly every time Alex O'Loughlin takes his shirt off, which thankfully is fairly often. Shallow - we? Nah, just human :-)

I should have gone for this mass video thing before. I has already started to work in French, and think it will work for German as well. I am not getting enough Russian though, which worries me a little bit, but in just four days I will be without kids for a few weeks, and then I hope I will get more of a chance to see more Russian.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4704 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 364 of 656
17 June 2012 at 12:32am | IP Logged 
UPDATE #11- Half Challenge + music in French and Hindi
New items marked with a *

FRENCH FILMS

1. French in Action Lessons 2-4.
2. TV5 shows (1 hour 40 mins total).
3. On choisit pas ses parents.
4. French in Action lessons 5-7.
5. Cartoons on TV5 (about 2 hours in total).
6. French in Action lessons 8-10.
7. French in Action lessons 11-13
8. French in Action lessons 14-16
9. French in Action lessons 17-19
10. État de manque.
11. Various things on TV5. Mostly cartoons.
*12. Rien à Déclarer- a very funny slapstick comedy about customs officers at the time the borders in Europe closed down. One is Belgian and hates the French. The other is French, but is in love with the Belgian officer’s sister. To quote Bertie Wooster, “Chaos obviously ensued”.
*13. Various things on TV5: Iron Man, Les P’tits Diables, news. I watch the cartoons with the kids. They like them. We all learn a bit, and get practice with the sounds of French.

FRENCH BOOKS

1. Assimil New French with Ease.
2. Max et Mathilde en vacances (read about 20x).
3. Rémi et le mystère de Saint-Péray (read 3.3 times).

FRENCH MUSIC
1. Françoise Hardy- “Comment Te Dire Adieu”
2. Guillaume Grande-“L’Amour est Laid”
3. Lucienne Vernay with Les Quatres Barbus- “Songs in French for Children”
*4. BB Brunes- Blonde Comme Moi

HINDI FILMS

1. Dhobhi Ghat (Mumbai Diaries).
2. Coolie
3. Munna Bhai MBBS. Stupid but fun film.

HINDI BOOKS

Still nothing.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6392 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 365 of 656
17 June 2012 at 5:18am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Wait, so half duper is 50x writing/conversation, not 100?

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6415 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 366 of 656
17 June 2012 at 10:21am | IP Logged 
UPDATE

Movies:
1. となりのトトロ (Tonari no Totoro) «My Neighbor Totoro» (w/o sub)
2. 魔女の宅急便 (Majo no Takkyūbin), “Kiki’s Delivery Service” (w/ norwegian sub) + (w/o sub)
3. 歩いても歩いても (Aruitemo Aruitemo) “Still Walking” (w/o sub) + (w/norwegian sub) + (w/o sub)
4. 雨月物語 (Ugetsu Monogatari)”Tales of Moonlight and Rain” (w/o sub) + (w/english sub) + (w/o sub)

Books:
1. ハリー・ポッターとアズカバンの囚人 (639 pg)
2. ハリー・ポッターと炎のゴブレット (1005 pg)

Writing:
1. 自己紹介
2. 大挑戦

MOVIES
雨月物語 (Ugetsu Monogatari)”Tales of Moonlight and Rain” (w/o sub) + (w/english sub) + (w/o sub)

I’m continuing with my technique of watch each movie three times: first without subs to see how much I actually understand, then with subs to find out what the movie was really about, then without subs again to see if there’s any improvement. I like this technique, but I think maybe I should try a movie marathon like some of the others are doing. Maybe a near constant flow of Japanese into my ears will make me finally understand something.

This is a truly beautiful movie made in the 50’s. It won a prize at the time. It’s a kind of ghost story and the way the director managed to blend harsh reality with the supernatural gives it a very mysterious feel. For a complete review, see my blog. (Click the link under my name.)

BOOKS
Still working on HP 5. I’m about halfway. I never thought I’d say this, but I’m almost getting a little tired of Harry Potter at times.

WRITING
Nope. Too lazy.

wv girl
Diglot
United States
Joined 5034 days ago

174 posts - 330 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 367 of 656
17 June 2012 at 2:25pm | IP Logged 
I'm doing podcasts for listening practice. This week, I listened to 3 intermediate podcasts of Notes in Spanish
twice and understood the content pretty easily. I wrote down a few vocabulary words I didn't know. I have to
admit that I was feeling pretty good about myself, especially after the second time. Then I moved up to the
advanced category ... I can honestly say that I understood some, maybe 60%, but not nearly with the ease of the
intermediate level. It was full on conversation, no repetitions. I missed a lot, even after listening again.

One of the reasons I'm doing podcasts at the moment instead of movies is that I can only get subtitles on Netflix
in English. I'd rather have them in Spanish. Guess I should order DVDs so I can switch subtitle languages. I
don't think I have an option with streaming.

Think I will do some Veinte Mundos this week. I"ll listen first, then look at the text to get what I missed. Still
reading La Piramide Roja.

So under peliculas, put me down for 1 more this week.
Peliculas:
1. Solas
2. Podcasts from Notes in Spanish, 92 minutes

maydayayday
Pentaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5014 days ago

564 posts - 839 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, SpanishB2, FrenchB2
Studies: Arabic (Egyptian), Russian, Swedish, Turkish, Polish, Persian, Vietnamese
Studies: Urdu

Message 368 of 656
17 June 2012 at 7:19pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Wait, so half duper is 50x writing/conversation, not 100?

Well yes and no.
I suspect a half super duper should be 50 films, 50 books, 50 conversations and 50 writings - but you could opt for 'writing only' or 'conversation only'.

But, until Phil/Surrealix gets back from his academic work the twitterbot doesn't yet accept the infinite variants of the challenge possibilities.... just sign up and "fill your boots".

@Solfrid - you are really really barmy in the nicest way possible!
I might have to consider Russian (revision) as well now. Errmmm or Arabic.
I am not going to do both. I think

Edit for afterthoughts!

Edited by maydayayday on 17 June 2012 at 7:33pm

This discussion contains 656 messages over 82 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version