United States
snapshotsoftheworld.
Joined 4981 days ago

209 posts - 264 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 337 of 656
05 June 2012 at 9:42pm | IP Logged 
In light of the new 100 pages=1 book rule I'm changing both French and Japanese to the super duper challenge. I originally had picked half challenges because I knew my books would be closer to 200, 300 pages but with the new rule I now have 72 books worth of French material and 96!! books worth of Japanese material just sitting there waiting to be read.

Phew, now I'm back to a normal work schedule and not sleeping until 4 and all caught up on the challenge threads I can start updating here. I'm a little behind, but I expected that and I'm sure I'll soon catch up a bit. I just reopened my netflix account so I can get some dvds so I should soon have my first movies!

French Books

As soon as I crossed the international date line in my airplane I started reading my easy reader, but I haven't finished it yet. I'm about halfway through.

French Movies/writings/conversations

None yet

Japanese Books

1. HunterxHunter treasures vol.1 manga 788 pages=157 pages
2. HunterxHunter treasures vol.2 manga 520 pages=104 pages

I really like this anime series, so I decided to get some manga when I was in Japan even though I don't usually read managa. It's a good warm up because all the kanji have furigana so I can read through without worrying too much about the kanji. Not much to say about this really, it's a fairly typical shonen, but there aren't TOO many fight scenes, which is good because they can get tedious for me.

I'm also 15 pages into a winnie the pooh book and about halfway through the third hunterxhunter, but this is the part of the story I don't like much so I'm stalling a bit. For now I think I'll put it aside and work on my French reader and my winnie the pooh.

Japanese movies/writings/conversation

none yet I intended to watch a ton on my airplane ride back, but I only got about halfway through kung-fu panda before I had to sleep. I'd been awake for about 40 hours by then. :/

I'm a little bit worried about the writing part now that I've increased my challenge, but it's a really weak skill for me so I'll have to improve it. I'm not too worried about conversation, but I'll have to get internet at my house before I can work on it, so I'm not sure when that will happen.
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6392 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 338 of 656
05 June 2012 at 9:54pm | IP Logged 
jessikt wrote:
Oh no - what would the Advanced Super Challenge entail? :) 100 books, 100 movies + conversation?
Nope, that's the super duper challenge. Advanced is 200 books, 200 movies :)

Edited by Serpent on 05 June 2012 at 9:54pm

bluejay390
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6073 days ago

227 posts - 259 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Japanese, Malay, Italian

Message 339 of 656
06 June 2012 at 10:35am | IP Logged 
LANGUAGE: Japanese

CHALLENGE: Half

CURRENT LEVEL: A1

COMMENTS: I'm already registered for Spanish but, after thinking about it, I want to
register for Japanese as well. I'm going to be reading in Japanese more in it anyway.
I'll just focus on films first.
2 persons have voted this message useful

RMM
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5022 days ago

91 posts - 215 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Ancient Greek, French, Swedish, Japanese

Message 340 of 656
06 June 2012 at 11:03pm | IP Logged 
wv girl wrote:
RMM, I watched Pan's Labyrinth last year & liked it
very much, except for the violent scenes. I need to know when to look away. I also
understood a good portion of the Spanish! You might like The Devil's Backbone, which
is more of a ghost story. Still violent, though, which is even more disturbing when
it's real & directed toward children.

Glad to see another fan of Pan’s Labyrinth. I’ve actually already seen The Devil’s Backbone and I thought it was a great film. I’ll definitely try to watch it again for the challenge. For that matter, I’ll probably try to watch Pan’s Labyrinth again too--it’s certainly good enough to watch multiple times.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4704 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 341 of 656
07 June 2012 at 12:46am | IP Logged 
UPDATE #10- Half Challenge + music in French and Hindi
New items marked with a *
Just added a Hindi film.

FRENCH FILMS

1. French in Action Lessons 2-4.
2. TV5 shows (1 hour 40 mins total).
3. On choisit pas ses parents.
4. French in Action lessons 5-7.
5. Cartoons on TV5 (about 2 hours in total).
6. French in Action lessons 8-10.
7. French in Action lessons 11-13
8. French in Action lessons 14-16
9. French in Action lessons 17-19
10. État de manque.
11. Various things on TV5. Mostly cartoons.

FRENCH BOOKS

1. Assimil New French with Ease.
2. Max et Mathilde en vacances (read about 20x).
3. Rémi et le mystère de Saint-Péray (read 3.3 times).

FRENCH MUSIC
1. Françoise Hardy- “Comment Te Dire Adieu”- a French pop classic, lovely voice and clear lyrics. I’ve been listening to this several times a week.
2. Guillaume Grande-“L’Amour est Laid”- nice modern pop, based around acoustic guitar, a bit like James Morrison and his ilk. I like this a lot, but have listened to it too much in the year since I got it. I hope he releases another album soon! Fairly clear singing.
3. Lucienne Vernay with Les Quatres Barbus- “Songs in French for Children”- what can I say? Sounds a lot like 50s Disney songs. I bought it for my kids, but I listen to it more than they do! The singing is clear.

HINDI FILMS

1. Dhobhi Ghat (Mumbai Diaries).
2. Coolie A classic Amitabh Bachchan film from the 80s. I think it was only really a hit because the big A nearly died during the filming of it. The film pauses and a title comes on telling you the exact moment he was punched and sent to the hospital.
*3. Munna Bhai MBBS. Stupid but fun film.

HINDI BOOKS

Still nothing.

clumsy
Octoglot
Poland
lang-8.com/6715Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4973 days ago

1116 posts - 1367 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Japanese, Korean, French, Mandarin, Italian, Vietnamese
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swedish
Studies: Danish, Dari, Kirundi

Message 342 of 656
07 June 2012 at 9:53am | IP Logged 
Watched episode 143 of 'pure in heart' - the female lead is really cute.
I am reeccomend anyone to watch it.
Except for it, a part of Equator man.
Quite cool drama too.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6392 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 343 of 656
08 June 2012 at 1:17am | IP Logged 
I'm adding writing to my German challenge. Hopefully this will motivate me to do homeworks etc :DD had to change it to super duper for the time being, but as of now i think i'll change back to half challenge when the half+writing combination is added. unless Germany wins Euro 2012 and I'll be doing German for the next 6WC :D

hjordis
United States
snapshotsoftheworld.
Joined 4981 days ago

209 posts - 264 votes 
Studies: French, German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 344 of 656
08 June 2012 at 3:20am | IP Logged 
Japanese Books

1. HunterxHunter treasures vol.1 manga 788 pages=157 pages
2. HunterxHunter treasures vol.2 manga 520 pages=104 pages

French Books

1. Easy French Reader 100 pages

My latest book is Easy French Reader(actual title) by McGraw Hill. I don't think I would recommend this as a reader, as it's more stepped than graded, but I think it was a good warm-up for this challenge. It's in 3 parts. The first is a typical "American in Paris meets French friend" type of story, but I thought it was pretty good. There was a little bit of discussion about the differences between French and English, each insisting that their own language was more logical, and a few chapters where they have a fight where they both stubbornly insist what they grew up knowing is "common sense" only to find out that neither is quite correct. The second section was a decent, if brief, overview of French history. The third part introduced 4 famous short stories in an abridged form. It was actually 200 and something pages, but there were some activities I didn't do and section reviews that I didn't read, plus it was in the format with vocabulary on the side so the pages were shorter, so I decided to count it as a 100 page book.

Next up: The Lion King should be in the mail when i check it in 15 minutes, so I'll be able to watch that in French tonight.

This discussion contains 656 messages over 82 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version