Joined 4683 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 625 of 656
11 December 2012 at 9:45pm | IP Logged 
36%: Slow going, but some pleasant surprises

Flics

33. Une vie de chat (A Cat in Paris, Jean-Loup Felicioli, 2010) - A pleasant hand-drawn animation about the secret night life of a cat in Paris. By day he's the companion of a lonely girl who's father was murdered by the mafia. At night he pals around with a small-time jewel thief. The film looks great, but the story is kind of thin and silly. It's only 65 minutes long, which is just long enough. I figure I have enough minutes stored up from my 'failed' list to count this as a full movie.

34. L'Histoire d'Adèle H. (François Truffaut, 1975) - Based on the journals of Victor Hugo's daughter, it follows Adele's obsessive stalking of a British army officer in Halifax. Isabel Adjani is riveting, and makes this a compelling movie. Bonus: The video had subtitles in French! These are pretty rare.

35. L'enfant (Jean-Pierre Dardenne, Luc Dardenne, 2005). Most reviews contain too many spoilers, so stick with the trailer; if that grabs you watch the movie. I was worried it would be another slow lumbering French drama, but it was actually engaging throughout. I'll be checking out more movies by the Dardenne brothers. Another Bonus: The video also had subtitles in French!

Fail #11: Un été à La Goulette (Ferid Boughedir, 1996) - Three Tunisian teenager girls - one Muslim, one Jewish, one Catholic - all vow to lose their virginity over the summer. Plays out like a poor Fellini imitation. I couldn't tell the families apart; they were all loud and colorful and wacky. Nor could I tell the girls apart. It wasn't a bad movie per se, but I completely lost interest.

37.6 Livres

I now have far too many books going at once. I have my excuses. I mean reasons.

Germinal. Émile Zola, 1885 (576 p; 30% finished) - I really should have waited on this one. It's a fantastic novel, but it's very long and will take me a very long time to finish. Zola is painting a complete portrait of the social life in a poor mining town. He examines everything, from the struggle some days for food to the gossip in the kitchens and taverns to the sexual escapades of the youth in the fields. The workers are starting to organize, led by the young Étienne, an idealist who's been corresponding with anarchists and communists in Paris. I suspect the action is going to pick up soon.

edit: and the action certainly did; the community is on the brink of open revolt, and there has been a disaster in the mine. Finished Part 3 (37%; 208 pages) over lunch.

Le Grec ancien. Jean-Pierre Guglielmi (Assimil, 2011) (50 p. logged) - I've decided that logging two pages for each chapter is about right for the passive phase - this Assimil has lots of dense footnotes and explanations.

Arctic-Nation (Blacksad T2). Juan Díaz Canales and Juanjo Guarnido, 2004. A noir bande dessiné about race, corruption, and murder. T1 had great art but a simple story; this is the volume where the series starts taking on a deeper complexity. You can probably skip T1 and start here.

Les Misérables, T3: Marius. Victor Hugo, 1862 (247 p). I just downloaded this. I should wait ... but I have tickets to see the play in London in 2.5 weeks, and I'd like to read as much as I can first!

Harry Potter et la Coupe de Feu. J.L. Rowling, 2000 (775 p.). This is how many pages again??? This will be the first HP I haven't read in Engish. I like alternating HP with more serious reading, but now I'll be reading three books at once. Yikes. We'll see how that goes.

And the pleasant surprise:

I started on FSI French again this morning, Lesson 18, for the first time since July. I was worried that my French comprehension would have faded over time, but it seems to be stronger now than it was then. All this reading really is paying off! I didn't get every drill right, but I was always, as Michel Thomas would say, in the ballpark. The best part was that I have a stonger feel for what sounds right. For example, I couldn't tell you all the rules for where the pronouns go, but I find them falling nicely into place when I do the drills.

Edited by kanewai on 12 December 2012 at 12:49am

1 person has voted this message useful

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4482 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 626 of 656
13 December 2012 at 1:20pm | IP Logged 
UPDATE - Added Italian audio entries 5-8 and French audio entries 22.5-25

I am now officially in Football (Soccer) mode. Having gotten RAI Italia and TV5MONDE, I've set up to record all the
matches they show in Serie A and Ligue 1. To my great surprise, I'm finding I can understand the Italian announcer
about as well as the French, though I have several theories as to why that is. Besides differences in the difficulty of
understanding the spoken languages, the Italian broadcasts have one announcer, and the French have two. The
Italian announcer generally says less, speaks more slowly, and is more directly describing the action, while the two
French announcers are commenting more on other things, as well. In other news, Zlatan Ibrahimovic is on a tear, in
case you hadn't heard.

And I picked up yet another book: Le Seigneur des Anneaux (tome 1). I was so excited, I read 100 pages in the first
two days. It's proving to be much easier to read than Le Trône de Fer. Sometimes I actually forget that I don't
actually know French yet.

BOOKS (Italian): 0. ...

FILMS, ETC. (Italian):

5. Otello (movie adaptation of the opera)
6. Serie A: Roma - Fiorentina
7. Serie A: Sampdoria - Udinese
8. Bologna - Lazio

BOOKS (French): 10. ...

FILMS, ETC. (French):

22.5-23. Game of Thrones, episodes 5-6 (watched 6 twice)
24. Ligue 1: PSG - Evian
25. Ligue 1: Valenciennes - PSG

BOOKS (Dutch): 28. ...

FILMS, ETC. (Dutch): 24. ...

I am not entered in any Super Challenge for German, but I also am still reporting for my log:

BOOKS (German): 12. ...

FILMS, ETC. (German): 34. ...

Edited by geoffw on 13 December 2012 at 1:29pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4641 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 627 of 656
18 December 2012 at 7:23am | IP Logged 
Ugh... I need to get back to doing my Half Super Challenge.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6391 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 628 of 656
18 December 2012 at 1:35pm | IP Logged 
geoffw wrote:
UPDATE - Added Italian audio entries 5-8 and French audio entries 22.5-25

I am now officially in Football (Soccer) mode. Having gotten RAI Italia and TV5MONDE, I've set up to record all the
matches they show in Serie A and Ligue 1. To my great surprise, I'm finding I can understand the Italian announcer
about as well as the French, though I have several theories as to why that is. Besides differences in the difficulty of
understanding the spoken languages, the Italian broadcasts have one announcer, and the French have two. The
Italian announcer generally says less, speaks more slowly, and is more directly describing the action, while the two
French announcers are commenting more on other things, as well. In other news, Zlatan Ibrahimovic is on a tear, in
case you hadn't heard.

And I picked up yet another book: Le Seigneur des Anneaux (tome 1).
6. Serie A: Roma - Fiorentina
7. Serie A: Sampdoria - Udinese
8. Bologna - Lazio

25. Ligue 1: Valenciennes - PSG
How familiar! Hehe.
Yeah, I kind of prefer non-RAI commentators in some cases, especially Auriemma :D You can watch football in Italian online (they call a stream "uno streaming" :))
I'm also reading LOTR, and I also watched Roma-Fiorentina:/ Also tried to watch these Bologna and PSG matches but I think I was sleepy, especially for PSG.

For more challenging talking, you could also try foreign football. Generally for the domestic teams a lot is taken for granted, but for any foreign league they seem to try to keep the ppl informed even if they don't follow the teams involved.

(My list is still here. hope it's ok that i update only it...)

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4482 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 

Message 629 of 656
18 December 2012 at 2:07pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Yeah, I kind of prefer non-RAI commentators in some cases, especially
Auriemma :D You can watch football in Italian online
(they call a stream "uno streaming" :))

I'm also reading LOTR, and I also watched Roma-Fiorentina:/ Also tried to watch these Bologna and PSG matches
but I think I was sleepy, especially for PSG.

For more challenging talking, you could also try foreign football. Generally for the domestic teams a lot is taken for
granted, but for any foreign league they seem to try to keep the ppl informed even if they don't follow the teams
involved.

It would be a lot harder to nod off watching the game with Auriemma doing the commentary, that's for sure! Any
good places for finding streams? It's much easier for me to watch through my cable, since I can record the games
and watch them later (I'm usually not available when the games are on, or for the whole 90+ minutes at a time),
but it'd be good to have more options (esp. if there were good ones for Bundesliga).

You watched Roma-Fiorentina, but did you watch Napoli-Bologna this past week? In case you missed it, check out
this goal.

I assume for "foreign football," you mean non-Italian, but with Italian commentary? I assume you're again referring
to finding online streams, right?

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4482 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 

Message 630 of 656
18 December 2012 at 6:27pm | IP Logged 
For TAC2013 I've finally started my first-ever language log--until now, the closest I'd had was my updates in this
thread. Seeing as my efforts for TAC2013 will be fairly coterminous with my Super Challenge work, rather than log
the same work in three separate places (I'm also using the Twitter Bot), I'll start posting my updates at
this link from now
on--more football-related updates coming very soon!

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6391 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 631 of 656
19 December 2012 at 5:56am | IP Logged 
geoffw wrote:
Serpent wrote:
Yeah, I kind of prefer non-RAI commentators in some cases, especially
Auriemma :D You can watch football in Italian online
(they call a stream "uno streaming" :))

I'm also reading LOTR, and I also watched Roma-Fiorentina:/ Also tried to watch these Bologna and PSG matches
but I think I was sleepy, especially for PSG.

For more challenging talking, you could also try foreign football. Generally for the domestic teams a lot is taken for
granted, but for any foreign league they seem to try to keep the ppl informed even if they don't follow the teams
involved.

It would be a lot harder to nod off watching the game with Auriemma doing the commentary, that's for sure! Any
good places for finding streams? It's much easier for me to watch through my cable, since I can record the games
and watch them later (I'm usually not available when the games are on, or for the whole 90+ minutes at a time),
but it'd be good to have more options (esp. if there were good ones for Bundesliga).

You watched Roma-Fiorentina, but did you watch Napoli-Bologna this past week? In case you missed it, check out
this goal.

I assume for "foreign football," you mean non-Italian, but with Italian commentary? I assume you're again referring
to finding online streams, right?
ugh yes i did:( Auriemma was so quiet:(
I support Fiorentina but I have a soft spot for Napoli, Cavani... and Auriemma, lol.

by foreign football I mean any matches with commentary that isn't in the local language. Italian football in French, French football in Italian...haha. Anything. I love watching Russian football in Italian and Portuguese, for example.

Well, streams aren't quite legal so I can't write about that openly here. For Bundesliga it's a total disaster, it's the main reason why I stopped trying to watch it. Although you have good chances if you don't mind paying for a legal stream.

my favourite sites are rojadirecta and lshunter. and p2p4u when I just. need. a stream. asap.
you can also download past matches from rojadirecta:)

Anya
Pentaglot
France
Joined 5587 days ago

636 posts - 708 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, FrenchC1, English, Italian, Spanish
Studies: German, Japanese, Hungarian, Sanskrit, Portuguese, Turkish, Mandarin
Studies: Ancient Greek, Hindi

Message 632 of 656
21 December 2012 at 12:15am | IP Logged 
Update:Spanish 34%
Read 11.2/50 books
"Ines del alma mia"
"Oscar, agente secreto "
Lugones (short stories)
"Catedral del mar"
"Ya no sufro por amor"
"Sombra del viento"
Barcelona guide

Watched 22.6/50 films
Tv
"Colloqualspanish:8-15"
Audiobook:
"Oscar, agente secreto "
"Poesia"
Film:
"El tercer principe"
"Un cebo llamado Elizabet"
"El ultimo hombre"

This discussion contains 656 messages over 82 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version