Joined 5021 days ago

91 posts - 215 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Ancient Greek, French, Swedish, Japanese

Message 121 of 656
02 May 2012 at 12:42am | IP Logged 
LANGUAGE: German
CHALLENGE: Half
CURRENT LEVEL: B1 (though I'm not THAT familiar with these sort of levels/evaluations, so I'm not 100% sure--I'm not fluent in the language at any rate)

LANGUAGE: Italian
CURRENT LEVEL: Between A2 and B1 probably

LANGUAGE: Spanish
CURRENT LEVEL: A2 maybe

COMMENTS: Well, I never thought I'd accept one of these challenges and I have to admit that I rarely even spend time in the Logs Forum, but this challenge just seemed to correlate so well with what I was already starting primarily to focus on in my studies that I couldn't resist joining in. I'm especially busy right now, but with a full 20 months to finish this challenge, that shouldn't be a problem. These three are the languages that I'm actively studying at the moment, so it makes the most sense to me just to continue on in them.

I've listed myself for half challenges right now, but actually what I hope to accomplish is 50 books and 100 films for each. I typically watch a fair number of movies and documentary shows, as well as listen to some audio books, so I don't really feel that 50 movies over 20 months would be quite enough of a challenge for me, though we'll see how things actually go. On the other hand, I know that 50 books each in three languages will definitely be a challenge, but a very positive one I'm sure.

(Also, I hope this doesn't screw up your tracking of the participants, but I'm not on Twitter and don't really have the time to deal with social networking sites at the moment, so I don't plan on registering with the bot. I hope that's not a problem.)

Edited by RMM on 02 May 2012 at 12:58am

1 person has voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4683 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 122 of 656
02 May 2012 at 1:45am | IP Logged 
Ok, I'm in for 50.

Language: French
Challenge: Half
Current Level: B1
Blog: MC's HTLAL Super Challenge: French

I'm going to run out of guided learning materials soon, and it'll help to have a
challenge to follow as I move on to native materials! I had already made quite a
reading list, and have about a dozen movies in my queue ... this will help keep me
focused.

I tend to read thicker books, so 100 in 20 months was just not an option, even if some
count as double. I mean, I have Proust and Madame Bovary on my bucket list! So while
I'm claiming half, I'm really aiming for something closer to 75 films and 25 books.

edit: I scrapped the blog, and am going with Just Paste It. I think I would waste too
much time trying to make a blog look just perfect. This is easier!    

Edited by kanewai on 02 May 2012 at 3:56am

dandt
Australia
regarderetlire.wordp
Joined 4418 days ago

134 posts - 174 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French

Message 123 of 656
02 May 2012 at 8:17am | IP Logged 
GUESS WHAT GUYS! I READ A BOOK!

1. Il fait Beau easy french reader
According to amazon, it's over 100 pages, but I suspect it isn't really that sort of level. Regardless, I'm
counting it as a book because It was 125 pages and I managed to read it! I liked that a story actually
happened even though the book was aimed at someone my level of french (low) but at times it just seemed to
drag on. I understand why... a new phrase would be introduced and then it was used a heap of times to
solidify it, but it was still annoying. Furthermore, I'm not sure I would understand half of it if it was said, but I
know I'd understand it if I came across it in text again. I guess I now really understand why people believe in
listening-reading.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5128 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 124 of 656
02 May 2012 at 8:38am | IP Logged 
dandt wrote:
GUESS WHAT GUYS! I READ A BOOK!

1. Il fait Beau easy french reader
According to amazon, it's over 100 pages, but I suspect it isn't really that sort of level. Regardless, I'm
counting it as a book because It was 125 pages and I managed to read it! I liked that a story actually
happened even though the book was aimed at someone my level of french (low) but at times it just seemed
to
drag on. I understand why... a new phrase would be introduced and then it was used a heap of times to
solidify it, but it was still annoying. Furthermore, I'm not sure I would understand half of it if it was said, but I
know I'd understand it if I came across it in text again. I guess I now really understand why people believe
in
listening-reading.

Congratulations! I think that is the first book of the challenge! Well done!

I think I may have to get on to a French book soon since I have been crazy enough to sign up for the
Advanced Super Challenge in addition to the Super Challenge. I have a Russian book in my bag and a
French book in my suitcase. Life is good!

eggcluck
China
Joined 4495 days ago

168 posts - 278 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 125 of 656
02 May 2012 at 9:10am | IP Logged 
1/100 films watched.

Big mommas house dubbed in Madarin. Shame it was on the TV I would have loved to have that to watch again :S.

clumsy
Octoglot
Poland
lang-8.com/6715Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4972 days ago

1116 posts - 1367 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Japanese, Korean, French, Mandarin, Italian, Vietnamese
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swedish
Studies: Danish, Dari, Kirundi

Message 126 of 656
02 May 2012 at 11:23am | IP Logged 
Updated Challenge:

LANGUAGE: Korean
CHALLENGE: 200 mv & 200 bk
CURRENT LEVEL: B2-C1

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6414 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 127 of 656
02 May 2012 at 12:39pm | IP Logged 
Movies:

1. となりのトトロ (Tonari no Totoro) «My Neighbor Totoro»

I do love this movie. It is beautifully animated and a lovely magical story. Also the main characters are two children, so their speech is simple with short sentences. (There is a more complete review on my blog)

It is four minutes too short to count on Twitter, but I like to count the minutes and I figure it will even out in the end. I'll keep track of the actual number of films here and in my blog.

Books:

Chugging away with Harry Potter 3. My reading speed has dropped from slow to glacial. People say the books get harder as one goes through the series, so that might be it. Also I read them again every time a new book came out, and sometimes several times before if it was a long wait. So I've read the first books many times, but number seven, I've only read 3 times.

Writing:

I wrote something on lang-8, but it is too short to count. At the moment, I'm still not capable of much, so I will just write more often until I'm capable of 200 word essays.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5128 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 128 of 656
02 May 2012 at 2:26pm | IP Logged 
clumsy wrote:
Updated Challenge:

LANGUAGE: Korean
CHALLENGE: 200 mv & 200 bk
CURRENT LEVEL: B2-C1

I realize that it may be hard to keep up with all the challenges, but this is the Super Challenge - 100 books/films B! max. I have already registred you in the Advanced Super Challenge thread which is for B2-C2. :-)

I had such a simple little idea, but people on this forum are so creative, that the whole thing became a maze.

This discussion contains 656 messages over 82 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version