justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4683 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 537 of 656
27 August 2012 at 11:42pm | IP Logged 
20% Update: 19 movies, 17.9 books

We're approaching the end of month four, or 20% of the challenge. I'll be on the road for the next two weeks, so I'll have a lot of time for reading (hopefully) but not much time for twittering or posting. I figured this would be a good time for a quick summary.

Overall: I still find this to be a fantastically motivating challenge. I naively thought I would know enough French to be able to casually read a novel by the end of 2011. I didn't realize how much work it would take - I always thought reading was easier than speaking. Having this goal of 100 books really pushes me to invest the time and energy into reading. I would be reading these books anyway, just not at this pace!

Frustrations: I still wish more people would post their progress here. I enjoy reading about other's discoveries, even if it's not in my TL language. I'm also hoping more French students make the jump to literature ... I see people tackling native-language materials in Spanish and Japanese, but not French!

Current Books and Movies:

À bout de souffle (Breathless; Jean-Luc Godard, 1960; 90 minutes). Very stylish, cool and sexy. Highly recommended. The language was easy to understand. One of the characters was an American student, and anytime another character used slang she would ask what it meant. How great is that for us!

Les Misérables, tome 1: Fantine (Victor Hugo, 1862; 276 p). The first couple pages were deceptively easy to read, and I got suckered in. Well, things got challenging fast. The writing is beautiful and Hugo's humanity shines through, but the pace is slow! Hugo took fifty pages just to discuss the character and motivation of the Bishop Bienvenu.

I find that I can read a narrative quite well at this point, but slow down to a crawl when I reach the long descriptive and introspective passages. (currently on page 60)

Bel ami (Guy de Maupassant, 1885; 300 pages). A fun novel about a handsome soldier who climbs his way to the top of Paris society. Or at least, it's fun so far. I'm sure it will turn tragic at the end. French novels always do.

I didn't mean to start two serious books at once; I just meant to read a few pages to get a taste of de Maupassant. But it's an easy novel - I'd put it at the same level as Harry Potter - and it was such a pleasure to read at a relaxed pace that I kept going. (currently on page 30)

Harry Potter et la Chambre des Secrets (J.K. Rowling, 1998; 365 p). I'll start this as soon as I finish one of the above.

Edited by kanewai on 28 August 2012 at 2:13am

1 person has voted this message useful

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4482 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 538 of 656
28 August 2012 at 12:04am | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:

Overall: I still find this to be a fantastically motivating challenge. I naively thought I would know enough French to be able to casually read a novel by the end of 2011. I didn't realize how much work it would take - I always thought reading was easier than speaking. Having this goal of 100 books really pushes me to invest the time and energy into reading. I would be reading these books anyway, just not at this pace!

Frustrations: I still wish more people would post their progress here. I enjoy reading about other's discoveries, even if it's not in my TL language. I'm also hoping more French students make the jump to literature ... I see people tackling native-language materials in Spanish and Japanese, but not French!

Harry Potter et la Chambre des Secrets (J.K. Rowling, 1998; 365 p). I'll start this as soon as I finish one of the above.

You think that few people are reading literature here? Interesting. Maybe they just aren't posting about it? The language challenge bot lists something like 17 people who've read at least one book in French. I'm ramping up slowly, but I'm getting there. I'll probably start reading HP2 along with you pretty soon, and sooner or later I hope to join you in reading in the more "literary" ouevre.

For me, I think the hardest thing is that reading in German is so much easier than anything else, and Dutch (my second challenge language along with French) still so much easier than French, that I keep being tempted to spend more time reading in those languages, where I can more easily get lost in a story instead of struggling with grammar and vocabulary. Not that that's so terrible, but I really am trying to learn French...

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5189 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 539 of 656
28 August 2012 at 1:00am | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:

I agree, it would be nice to see more people's discoveries, with both books and movies.

My French isn't solid enough to start reading in yet. I'm concerned about going backwards with my pronunciation if I start reading too soon. I am going to finish Assimil and then work through a Practice Makes Perfect grammar before I start reading French.

Part of the problem with reading for the Challenge right now in most of my languages is that I'm not at sufficient levels. I think reading would be beneficial, but I think that the other things I'm doing (mostly Assimil) are more productive at the moment. Between work, children (one more week til school starts for them!), and trying to juggle 3-4 languages, I try to maximize the effect of what time I have. :)

I've been on a movie kick lately, but that has more to do with my laziness and burnout (and life) than anything else right now. Instead of sitting down to stare at TV at night, I'll sit down and watch a movie in one of my TLs. I've been watching mostly Spanish and Italian films, and I've been really impressed on how much it has helped my comprehension. I started by watching "familiar" stuff - kids movies and Stargate episodes mostly, but decided a while ago to try real (original) movies. I am really surprised by how much cinematic art there is for both languages.

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4497 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 
Speaks: English*, Dutch
Studies: French, Indonesian

Message 540 of 656
28 August 2012 at 1:09am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
I think the confusion comes from the difference between the
original rules and the way the bot counts it. The original rules stand though, so if you
watch something which is an hour long, it counts as a film. If it lasts 50 minutes you
can technically count it as one film, but I would recommend doing two of them and count
it as one film. But again, the important thing is what motivates you.

Thanks for the clarification. If you decide to make a change, I'll be more than happy to
go with whatever the new rules are. :-)

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4683 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 541 of 656
28 August 2012 at 2:11am | IP Logged 
geoffw wrote:
You think that few people are reading literature here? Interesting. Maybe they just aren't posting about it? The language challenge bot lists something like 17 people who've read at least one book in French. I'm ramping up slowly, but I'm getting there. I'll probably start reading HP2 along with you pretty soon, and sooner or later I hope to join you in reading in the more "literary" ouevre.

Definitely "not posting" more than "not reading," though it does seem that more people are moving onto native materials in other languages faster than they are with French.

Kerrie wrote:
Part of the problem with reading for the Challenge right now in most of my languages is that I'm not at sufficient levels. I think reading would be beneficial, but I think that the other things I'm doing (mostly Assimil) are more productive at the moment.

This has been a major challenge for me. I rely heavily on parallel and bilingual texts for the classics, though I can make it through HP and lighter books with just a dictionary. My progress is definitley a lot slower than if I had spent all this time with an actual coursebook.

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4327 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 542 of 656
28 August 2012 at 3:44pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
I think the confusion comes from the difference between the original rules and the way the bot counts it.
The original rules stand though, so if you watch something which is an hour long, it counts as a film. If it
lasts 50 minutes you can technically count it as one film, but I would recommend doing two of them and
count it as one film. But again, the important thing is what motivates you.

I think the confusion for me was simply that the standard length of a movie is about 75-90 minutes. I am pretty sure a 45 minute film would be called a short-film, not a feature film.

Anyway, the bigger reason for me to count 90 minutes plus a film, is simply because the challenge would be too unbalanced otherwise. As it is I think probably <20% of the challenge is the movie side, while the reading side is closer to 80%-90%. If I counted 45 minutes as a 'film' then it would be too imbalanced for me.

But I guess the important word is 'challenge'. So whatever you do you should make it a challenge for yourself.

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4327 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 543 of 656
28 August 2012 at 3:55pm | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:
20% Update: 19 movies, 17.9 books

Overall: I still find this to be a fantastically motivating challenge.

Frustrations: I still wish more people would post their progress here.

I agree entirely. The movie challenge has been great to force me out to watch tv/films. Before the challenge I had never watched an German film without subtitles, now I have no fear watching original movies in the cinema.

My reading hasn't progressed anywhere near as far. I find that part of the challenge much harder, but I will start working on this once I am further into the movie challenge.

I love reading about people's progress here too.

Tsopivo
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4265 days ago

258 posts - 411 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Esperanto

Message 544 of 656
29 August 2012 at 6:50pm | IP Logged 
OK, so I'm new here and I'd like to register to the challenge.

Language: Spanish
Challenge : half
Current level : A1

I'm not sure I can do it but I hope this will keep me motivated.

This discussion contains 656 messages over 82 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version