1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 41 of 656
23 April 2012 at 4:47pm | IP Logged 
LANGUAGE: Korean

CHALLENGE: Super Duper

CURRENT LEVEL: B1

COMMENTS: I'm doing the Super Duper challenge with a twist, if that's allowed. I want to speak Korean with 100 different people, regardless of how long the exchange is. I think I'd have no trouble completing 50 hours of conversation (at the moment I do around 1 per week), so this twist makes it more interesting and challenging for me.

I'll try to make 10-20% of the movies North Korean (not sure if I can stomach more), because I'd like to get a better grip on their dialect.

I'll be reviewing movies watched/books read on this blog

Edited by druckfehler on 23 April 2012 at 4:56pm

1 person has voted this message useful

dbag
United Kingdom
Joined 4816 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 42 of 656
23 April 2012 at 6:20pm | IP Logged 
LANGUAGE: Spanish

CHALLENGE: SUPER DUPER

LEVEL: Maybe high A2/ low B1 on a good day.

COMMENTS: I'm going to attempt this challenge on top of my other activities. I am not
going to count podcasts, radio, or stuff watched on RTVES as I would do these
activities anyway. Also I'm not going to count any graded readers, or newspapers, but I
will count children's books.

Since beginning to delve into native materials, my ability to understand them seems to
be increasing almost every day, which is very encouraging, so I'm hoping this challenge
will push me into being able to understand nearly everything heard and read. That's
why, I won't be including podcasts and learning materials, as I want those to be for
"training" and the challenge for spending time on real native materials.

I'm quite confident of being able to complete the film and conversation parts, but the
reading part is going to be a real challenge! I read 35 books in English, in a row
once, which took months, and I read fast. Also, I will be traveling to several
countries where they don't speak Spanish during that time, so we will see what happens.

I will update both here, and in my Spanish Log. Can't wait!

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5776 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 43 of 656
23 April 2012 at 7:41pm | IP Logged 
LANGUAGE: Japanese

CHALLENGE: FULL - 100 films 100 books (plus 100 short essays!)

CURRENT LEVEL: I would say B1 on a good day. Preparing to sit the JLPT N3 this summer (cannot guarantee I'll pass).

COMMENTS: I already try and get 30-60 mins of audio input in Japanese every day (either TV shows or radio podcasts) so to make things a bit more interesting for myself I'm going to try and watch as many full length Japanese films as possible. But the real thing I am interested on is building up my reading, which seems to be pretty hard going for me at the moment. If I do manage to read the whole 100 books, I hope it will be enough to make me quite good at reading! I am going to keep track of the details of my reading/watching on my blog. I will add to that 100 short essays as it's about time I started writing in Japanese!

mick33
United States
Joined 5718 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 44 of 656
23 April 2012 at 9:56pm | IP Logged 
LANGUAGE: Spanish

CHALLENGE: HALF 50 books and 50 movies

CURRENT LEVEL: I'm uncertain about my exact level in Spanish now, I think I'll just assume it's somewhere between A1 and A2.

COMMENTS: Thank you to Solfrid Christina for another great idea! This Super Challenge seems like the perfect way to motivate myself to bring Spanish to a higher level, Do I dare to aim for C1? I almost decided to register for the Full Challenge, but I fear that could have meant dropping the other languages I'm learning; which is not going to happen.

The reason I am uncertain about my level in Spanish is that when I was taking Spanish classes in college I think my level was somewhere between A2 and B1, but I took my last Spanish class in 2010 and I have neglected Spanish since then.

I will include this Spanish Challenge as part of my TAC log.

Edited by mick33 on 23 April 2012 at 10:13pm

Tamise
Triglot
United Kingdom
jllrr.wordpress.com/
Joined 5037 days ago

115 posts - 161 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Dutch
Studies: French, Japanese, Spanish

Message 45 of 656
24 April 2012 at 10:02am | IP Logged 
LANGUAGE: Japanese

CHALLENGE: FULL

CURRENT LEVEL: Hard to say, as my learning has been in fits and starts - somewhere in the As. Sitting JLPT N5 in July, but think maybe I should have gone for N4.

COMMENTS: Will be tracking here and in more detail on my blog. I may try some writing later, but will concentrating on movies and books to begin with.

clumsy
Octoglot
Poland
lang-8.com/6715Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4972 days ago

1116 posts - 1367 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Japanese, Korean, French, Mandarin, Italian, Vietnamese
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swedish
Studies: Danish, Dari, Kirundi

Message 46 of 656
24 April 2012 at 11:52am | IP Logged 
LANGUAGE: Japanese.
CHALLENGE: Full
CURRENT LEVEL: Japanese: C1(?)
COMMENTS:
mydramalist : my nickname is nanatanimura (two movies are there already, so don't count them. otherwise I will use my log).

Edited by clumsy on 24 April 2012 at 11:55am

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6264 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 47 of 656
24 April 2012 at 3:09pm | IP Logged 
LANGUAGE: Chinese (Mandarin)

CHALLENGE: Super Duper & essays

LEVEL: unsure, as I've neglected it for a while; anyway still unable to read a novel that isn't a parallel text
or somthing I read before

COMMENTS: I'm more passionate about mastering Chinese than any other language and I know that this
challenge would get me where I want to be - or nothing can. I was reluctant to sign up because my life is
really busy right now: I work full-time, try to read tons of French books for university (could easily do a
super challenge there but my level is too advanced) and organize Esperanto events in the remaining time.
However, I realized that this level of busyness should let up around July or definitely later this year and
then I'd kick myself for not signing up for this challenge. So - I'm in!

Wishing everyone success!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5128 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 48 of 656
24 April 2012 at 3:34pm | IP Logged 
clumsy wrote:
LANGUAGE: Japanese.
CHALLENGE: Full
CURRENT LEVEL: Japanese: C1(?)
COMMENTS:
mydramalist : my nickname is nanatanimura (two movies are there already, so don't count them. otherwise I
will use my log).

Do you have another language you could enter with? This is supposed to be B1 maximum!

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 24 April 2012 at 3:35pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 656 messages over 82 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version