Joined 4845 days ago

498 posts - 905 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Spanish, Greek, Azerbaijani

Message 209 of 656
09 May 2012 at 7:51am | IP Logged 
Update for Spanish

Films, etc.
1. a podcast on Interpreting markets in South America and the U.S. - 1hr 45mins.

1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5128 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 210 of 656
09 May 2012 at 9:39am | IP Logged 

RUSSIAN UPDATE

FILMS
1. Robin Hood (May 1st)
2. The Jungle Book (May 1st)
3. The Jungle Book 3 May 5th.

CONVERSATION
1. Conversation May 1st
2. Conversation May 1st.

READING
1. Appointment with death (AC) May 8th) (280 pages)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I HAVE READ MY FIRST BOOK IN THE SUPER CHALLENGE!

Ok, so it was slower than a snail's pace, but it is still one shiny finished book of almost 300 pages! In Russian! Since my husband was away this weekend, and my daughter had lots of homework. I basically spent the entire weekend reading, and by spending almost all the rest of my free time on it as well, I managed to finish the book in 8 days - with a total of about 40 hours work. That is actually more than a full week's work in Norway (37 1/2 hour) And in addition to that I have seen 3 films, had 2 conversations, and seen the equivalent of 4 films in French and some in Spanish. All in all not a bad week, considering that I also had to go to France on a business trip, and write the presentation of the Super Challenge, make a new updated page of participants etc. Plus of course planning for my birthday party and preparing the house for the house guest who is coming on Friday and will stay for two weeks. No wonder I feel like a dead man walking:-). It is when your teenage daughter starts lecturing you on the need to go to bed at a decent hour, and have enough sleep that you know you are really putting in your best effort.

I had read the book before, some 20-30 years ago, but there was only one single word which I remembered specifically from then, but it does help to have a general idea of what the story is about, particularly when you understand as little as I do. I have started on a new one (a Russian Agatha Christie - The big four) - and I have absolutely no clue as to what it is about after having read the first page and a half. I guess that after some 30-40 pages I'll find out whether this is a book I have read before. I have done so many of them in different languages over the last 40 years, that it is hard to come by one I have never read. Whether I remember anything at all about a book I read as a 12 year old when my English was not so good is an entirely different matter.

However, with the previous book I read (the famous one which gave birth to the Super Challenge:-) , I can now boast of having read two books in Russian. Not bad considering that I at one point thought there was no way in .... I was ever going to read anything at all.

So now all I have to do is to read the remaining 99 books in Russian, and I am set.

The fact that I am still way down the list on the Super Challenge is proof of how many extraordinary talented and dedicated people there are on this forum!

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 09 May 2012 at 9:45am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6414 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 211 of 656
09 May 2012 at 9:55am | IP Logged 
Marikki wrote:
UPDATE, Super Challenge, Spanish

I'm little bit worried about my reading speed. Maybe I should re-read some easy books and be strict about not looking up any unknown words. Last thing I want is getting used to reading Spanish slowly. And how on earth I'll be able to read 97 books in 19 months and 3 weeks if I continue reading this slowly?

Don't worry about reading too slowly. First of all, if you've read three books in only a week, you are already ahead of schedule. I figure one needs to read one book per 6 days to finish in twenty months.

Also, you won't "get used to" reading Spanish slowly. Remember that children read painfully slowly, but they soon learn to read at a reasonably rate. When I learned Norwegian, I read very very slowly at first, but now I am able to read very quickly. Once a Norwegian gave me a paper with several pages and was amazed when I read through it using only seconds per page. Of course, I don't usually do that. I like to savor a book and read at a more normal rate, but I can read quickly if I have to. And I'm sure by the end of this challenge, you will be able to read as fast as the average Spaniard.

maydayayday
Pentaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5013 days ago

564 posts - 839 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, SpanishB2, FrenchB2
Studies: Arabic (Egyptian), Russian, Swedish, Turkish, Polish, Persian, Vietnamese
Studies: Urdu

Message 212 of 656
09 May 2012 at 9:59am | IP Logged 
Well done Solfrid Christine - you'll get faster.

I'm reading a Spanish Medical text book: some 390 pages but a few pictures: great for vocabulary though boringly work related and the grammar is simple.

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6414 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 213 of 656
09 May 2012 at 10:08am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:

READING

Ok, so it was slower than a snail's pace, but it is still one shiny finished book of almost 300 pages! In Russian!

At 8 minutes per page (according to what you wrote earlier), that is truly amazing! Obviously, you are working very hard. I don't know how you find the time. I don't have a life at all, and I still don't manage to get that much done.

Solfrid Cristin wrote:

That is actually more than a full week's work in Norway (37 1/2 hour)

Mine's 40 hours a week :( plus overtime. Or maybe you work for the government....

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5128 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 214 of 656
09 May 2012 at 10:18am | IP Logged 
Brun Ugle wrote:
Solfrid Cristin wrote:

READING

Ok, so it was slower than a snail's pace, but it is still one shiny finished book of almost 300 pages! In Russian!

At 8 minutes per page (according to what you wrote earlier), that is truly amazing! Obviously, you are working very hard. I don't know how you find the time. I don't have a life at all, and I still don't manage to get that much done.

Solfrid Cristin wrote:

That is actually more than a full week's work in Norway (37 1/2 hour)

Mine's 40 hours a week :( plus overtime. Or maybe you work for the government....

I find the time by ignoring dusting, cleaning and a general social life :-) Yesterday I even sat reading at the hair dresser. She is used to me chatting non stop through the session, and me shutting up and reading was a new concept to her.

And yes, I work for the government :-) And I frequently work more than the 37 1/2 hours, but that it what the theoretical hours are like.

@maydayayday: Thanks for the encouragement!

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 15 May 2012 at 1:14pm

clumsy
Octoglot
Poland
lang-8.com/6715Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4972 days ago

1116 posts - 1367 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Japanese, Korean, French, Mandarin, Italian, Vietnamese
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swedish
Studies: Danish, Dari, Kirundi

Message 215 of 656
09 May 2012 at 3:25pm | IP Logged 
I have finnaly regitered on the skype - my nickname is gruby2008 / ks.
I have watched some Korean tv, and one movie so far.

Marikki
Tetraglot
Finland
Joined 5289 days ago

130 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Spanish, Swedish
Studies: German

Message 216 of 656
09 May 2012 at 6:06pm | IP Logged 
Thank you all for the encouragement.

Now, in the daylight and after reading your words of wisdom I see how irrational my worry was. After all, the speed improvement has been so far huge and it is natural that at this stage the improvement curve has become less steep.

I thought that maybe I'm becoming used to reading slowly because nowadays I'm less impatient when reading and also enjoy more even though I still read slowly, against my nature. Clearly reading speed is not the only possible dimension of progress. Others are just less obvious and less measurable.

Solfrid Cristin wrote:

I find the time by ignoring dusting, cleaning and a general social life :-) Yesterday I even sat reading at the hair dresser. She is used to me chatting non stop through the session, and me shutting up and reading was a new concept to her.

When I was a teenager I could do any domestic chores mother made me do and read simultaneously. I bet that with your concentration ability (can read Russian at the hairdressers!) you could do that too. I don't have what it takes any more..

Edited by Marikki on 09 May 2012 at 6:08pm

This discussion contains 656 messages over 82 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version