United States
Joined 5021 days ago

91 posts - 215 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Ancient Greek, French, Swedish, Japanese

Message 145 of 656
03 May 2012 at 2:36pm | IP Logged 
DaraghM wrote:
I didn't realise people were posting their results in this thread as well. I'm not sure if I'll I post my results in this thread, but I will mention I watched my first French film last night.

I think that it's great that there is such a variety of possibilities on how each individual participant wants to report his or her results (this thread, Twitter, blogs, logs on the forum, just paste it lists). However, I do think it is going to be difficult to keep track of everyone this way. I hope that if Solfrid does ever get to edit the posts at the start of the thread, she'll also make a list there of where everyone is posting their results and comments, so it will be easy to keep track of at a glance (or maybe someone who does have editing powers could do this for her?). I for one, at the moment at any rate, only plan on posting my results in this thread.

Edited by RMM on 03 May 2012 at 2:37pm

1 person has voted this message useful

dandt
Australia
regarderetlire.wordp
Joined 4418 days ago

134 posts - 174 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French

Message 146 of 656
03 May 2012 at 2:55pm | IP Logged 
Personally I am doing a combination. Everything is being put on my blog and the twitter bot. Things I am
especially proud of I am putting in here. My log on the forum is for other stuff I guess

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6414 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 148 of 656
03 May 2012 at 7:58pm | IP Logged 
RMM wrote:
DaraghM wrote:
I didn't realise people were posting their results in this thread as well. I'm not sure if I'll I post my results in this thread, but I will mention I watched my first French film last night.

I think that it's great that there is such a variety of possibilities on how each individual participant wants to report his or her results (this thread, Twitter, blogs, logs on the forum, just paste it lists). However, I do think it is going to be difficult to keep track of everyone this way. I hope that if Solfrid does ever get to edit the posts at the start of the thread, she'll also make a list there of where everyone is posting their results and comments, so it will be easy to keep track of at a glance (or maybe someone who does have editing powers could do this for her?). I for one, at the moment at any rate, only plan on posting my results in this thread.

I agree that it might get confusing with everyone posting in different places. So, I think when we get to the end of this thing that everyone should post a summary here of what they did, at least in terms of how many movies/books/etc, if not a list of names. That would make it clear who made it to the end and how everyone did.

Edited by Brun Ugle on 03 May 2012 at 7:59pm

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4703 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 149 of 656
03 May 2012 at 8:09pm | IP Logged 
First Update (Soooo exciting!)

French Film 1: French in Action Lessons 2-4. Watched it with my son (lucky kid!)

French Book: still working on two different books.

I'm kicking off my super challenge with material designed for learners, to ramp myself up to full native material. I will try to watch and FIA episode 4-5 days each week. I am in the process of reading Assimil from start to finish (although I've learnt up to chapter 55 in the passive wave). I'm also reading a children's book with my daughter. Once we've read it 5 times, I'll post it as a book.

I am focusing on French for the 6wc, so I won't be doing much with Hindi until that's over. I got a new film last week though, so I'll probably watch that soon!

RMM
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5021 days ago

91 posts - 215 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Ancient Greek, French, Swedish, Japanese

Message 150 of 656
03 May 2012 at 9:05pm | IP Logged 
Looking back over my post at the top of the page, I see that I should have put it a different way. I didn't mean that I would only post my final results in this thread at the end of challenge. I meant that I probably will only post here until then and not elsewhere. That wasn't clear enough with my ambiguous wording.

At any rate, I finished my first film for my German 50/50 half challenge: Die Feuerzangenbowle (1944). I really enjoyed this classic German comedy about an older man who pretends to be a teenager and goes back to school. I'm especially surprised that it was made during the Nazi era since it's so anti-authority. It can be watched/downloaded for free on archive.org, so I would assume it's in the public domain (http://archive.org/details/DieFeuerzangenbowleHeinzRuehmann). There's also a torrent floating around the Internet that has German, English, and Spanish subs.

Beyond this I'm trudging away at the books The Magician's Nephew in German and The Princess of Mars in Spanish.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6391 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 151 of 656
03 May 2012 at 9:34pm | IP Logged 
Finished HP 7 about an hour ago. Yay. I like having so many places to brag about it - here, the bots, my list... and I forgot goodreads.com! *adds*
Ironically, the part that I've listened-read while the challenge was on counts as 7 movies :)
OMG no, I have so much to do but I now wanna watch the first movie, to kinda close the circle you know.
Someone at goodreads also recommends reading HP in the reversed order, I think I will :-) Not sure when though. Can't wait to reread the 6th book, it's still my fave <333

BTW... is it a problem for anyone else that you can't watch a movie with your family members (because they don't speak the language :D) but don't wanna watch it alone? I've watched several HP movies "together" with a friend while discussing it over skype, and it was fun. would anyone be interested? :) we don't need to watch in the same language, lol.
I know I'll never watch the last part alone ;__;

Edited by Serpent on 03 May 2012 at 9:35pm

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4703 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 152 of 656
03 May 2012 at 10:43pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:

BTW... is it a problem for anyone else that you can't watch a movie with your family members (because they don't speak the language :D) but don't wanna watch it alone? I've watched several HP movies "together" with a friend while discussing it over skype, and it was fun. would anyone be interested? :) we don't need to watch in the same language, lol.
I know I'll never watch the last part alone ;__;

I sometimes "force" my language habits on my children, especially since they all take French in school. All three of them like French in Action, although the younger two don't really have the attention span to watch a whole episode. They love singing along loudly with the theme music! I also read children's books in French (with CD) with them. They also like watching the song and dance parts of Hindi films. My older son (13 years) actually borrowed my Sholay DVD a couple of months ago and watched it by himself in his room! (For those who don't know, Sholay is probably the most popular Hindi film ever. And it's a pretty good film.)

This discussion contains 656 messages over 82 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version