United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5777 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 473 of 656
15 July 2012 at 12:15am | IP Logged 
Update - Change of Challenge

I have decided to downgrade myself to a half challenge in Japanese, which I have already updated on the Twitter bot. I am now going for:

LANGUAGE: Japanese

CHALLENGE: HALF - 50 films, 50 books

I have recently started learning some German and although it's for very short term and practical purposes, having dipped my toes in it a little my desire to learn the language is a lot stronger than I expected. For the first time since starting Japanese, I don't feel guilt about spending time on another language. I don't know if it's just a case of wanderlust, I'm hoping if there is a 6WC in August this will be long enough for me to decide whether to commit properly (and if I do, maybe I'll end up doing two half challenges...)
1 person has voted this message useful

RMM
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5022 days ago

91 posts - 215 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Ancient Greek, French, Swedish, Japanese

Message 474 of 656
15 July 2012 at 1:25am | IP Logged 
I’ve decided to update my each of my languages separately, since it is getting unwieldy and too time consuming to deal with all three at once.

I’ve watched some good classic German films lately. I especially loved and would highly recommend the Fritz Lang films that I saw. M with Peter Lorre was the best of the lot, but Das Testament des Dr. Mabuse (The Testament of Dr. Mabuse) was a close second. M is a famous classic about the dual efforts of the police and a criminal organization to find a child murderer loose in Berlin. Das Testament des Dr. Mabuse is about a mad criminal mastermind, who sits in a padded cell creating wild, fool-proof plans for destroying infrastructure and society in general. It’s set in the same “universe” as M, including having the same police inspector, Lohmann, in charge of the search for the criminals.

Both films are examples of German Expressionism so popular in Weimar Germany. The most famous Expressionist films are generally silent, like Lang’s Metropolis or The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, Nosferatu, etc. However, these early talkies are really excellent examples of the style. In my opinion, both should easily be in any top 10 German films of all time list.

Die 1000 Augen des Dr. Mabuse, which was Fritz Lang’s final film, was made almost three decades after Das Testament des Dr. Mabuse and is simply not nearly as good as the earlier Mabuse film. However, it is still well worth watching in my opinion, even if just a lesser classic. Overall, I’m personally of the opinion that the best era of German films ran from the 1910s into the 1930s. (Der blaue Engel (The Blue Angel) with Marlene Dietrich and Emil Jannings is another special favorite of mine from this era.)

I’ve been reading parts of several books in German and my other languages at the same time. I do think that the Nuremberg trial transcripts have been especially good for building up my German vocabulary, since I’m using them in conjunction with the English transcripts (so I can identify word meanings quickly) and they contain lots of words I didn’t already know.

German
* New to this update

Books:
1. Die Chroniken von Narnia: Das Wunder von Narnia (The Chronicles of Narnia: The Magician’s Nephew) – C.S. Lewis [172 pp]
2. Die Chroniken von Narnia: Der Ritt nach Narnia (The Chronicles of Narnia: The Horse and His Boy) – C.S. Lewis [172 pp]
3. Der Prozeß gegen die Hauptkriegsverbrecher vor dem Internationalen Gerichtshof Nürnberg – Band 10 (The Trial of German Major War Criminals: Proceedings of the International Military Tribunal Sitting in Nuremberg Germany – Part 10: 23rd March to 3rd April, 1946) – Transcripts for March 25, 1946 [82 pp]
*4. Die Chroniken von Narnia: Der König von Narnia (The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe) – C.S. Lewis [chapters 1-14] 123 pages
*5. Der Prozeß gegen die Hauptkriegsverbrecher vor dem Internationalen Gerichtshof Nürnberg – Band 10 (The Trial of German Major War Criminals: Proceedings of the International Military Tribunal Sitting in Nuremberg Germany – Part 10: 23rd March to 3rd April, 1946) – Transcripts for March 26, 1946 [49 pp]
*6. Erinnerungen (Inside the Third Reich) – Albert Speer [chp. 3-4] 28 pages

Films:
1. Die Feuerzangenbowle (1944)
2. Nazi-Diplomatie Intern: Das Auswärtige Amt in der Ära Ribbentrop / Hitlers Helfer: Joseph Goebbels - Der Brandstifter
3. Herr Lehmann (2003)
4. Der Amerikanische Freund (1977) (+ trailer and deleted scenes)
5. The Sound of Music (1965) (dubbed in German)
6. Der Untergang des alten Europa / Erster Weltkrieg: Der moderne Krieg
7. Hitlers Frauen: Eva Braun - Die Freundin / Der Bunker: Hitlers Ende
8. 100 Jahre der Countdown: Die großen Bilder des 20. Jahrhunderts - Teil 2 (1920-1939)
9. Napola (Before the Fall) (2004)
*10. Hitler & Mussolini: Eine brutale Freundschaft (documentary)
*11. Die Feuerzangenbowle (1944) [2nd time]
*12. M (1931)
*13. Das Testament des Dr. Mabuse (1933)
*14. Die 1000 Augen des Dr. Mabuse (1960)
*15. Das blaue Licht (1932)

Edited by RMM on 15 July 2012 at 3:06am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Anya
Pentaglot
France
Joined 5588 days ago

636 posts - 708 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, FrenchC1, English, Italian, Spanish
Studies: German, Japanese, Hungarian, Sanskrit, Portuguese, Turkish, Mandarin
Studies: Ancient Greek, Hindi

Message 475 of 656
16 July 2012 at 4:59pm | IP Logged 
Update: German 4%
Read 1.8/100 books
"Grammar"
"German for 30 days"
"Methode90:Units 12-20"
"Ines meines Herzens"
"Die schonheit des augenblicks"(exibition book)

Watched 8.4/100 films
TV:
"Literature im foyer"
"Spiegelshow"
+other tv watching
Films:
"Che"
"Empire"
"Ryans Tochter"   
"Karate kid"
"Bigbentheory"

1.1/100 pieces of writing
"German for 30 days": copying

hjordis
United States
snapshotsoftheworld.
Joined 4981 days ago

209 posts - 264 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 476 of 656
18 July 2012 at 3:14am | IP Logged 
Japanese Books

1. HunterxHunter treasures vol.1 manga 788 pages=157 pages
2. HunterxHunter treasures vol.2 manga 520 pages=104 pages
3. HunterxHunter treasures vol.3 manga 482 pages=96 pages
4. HunterxHunter treasures vol.4 manga 546 pages=109 pages

Two more and I can move on to other books. I hope to finish by the end of the month.

Japanese Movies

1. となりのトトロ
2.魔法の宅急便
3.崖の上のポニョ
4.天空の城ラピュタ
5.紅の豚

These last two were great, but not my favourites of the ghibli movies. I had a bit of trouble sitting through them and decided not to watch either in French.

French Books

1. Easy French Reader 100 pages
2. Harry Potter à L'école des Sorciers 305 pages
3. Harry Potter et la Cambre des Secrets 349 pages
4. L'Integrale des Contes en vers et en prose 100 pages

Finished the second Harry Potter, and hope to finish the third one by the end of the month too. The other one is a collection of works by Perrault in a dual language book. I didn't quite finish all of the stories, but I read enough to make it a full book. I enjoyed the prose stories a lot, and many were of course familiar already. I hadn't actually heard any of the verse tales before, and they were quite difficult for me. I don't think I was ready for them.

French Movies

1. Le Roi Lion
2. Mon Voisin Totoro
3. Les Chroniques de Narnia : L'Armoire Magique
4. Ponyo sur la Falaise
5. Les Chroniques de Narnia: Le Prince Caspian
6. Le Chat Potté

This Puss in Boots(2011) wasn't at all like the original story that I read earlier. Just the same it was a fun film, and I was surprised at the amount that I understood even though I didn't watch it in English first. There was some Spanish mixed in, and it usually took me a while to realize it wasn't French(I think it was Spanish the typical person would understand kept in from the original). I'm not sure whether I should be worried about that.

French Writings

1. Présenter Moi-Même (58 words)

dr sam gyup sal
Groupie
Korea, South
Joined 4415 days ago

80 posts - 92 votes 
Studies: Korean

Message 477 of 656
18 July 2012 at 7:20am | IP Logged 
LANGUAGE: Korean

CHALLENGE: HALF (50 books, 50 films )

CURRENT LEVEL: Elementary my dear Watson

COMMENTS: The books will be childrens books (1st grade Elementary school to start with)
and I will watch movies that I want to watch with no subtitles. I can forsee the books
being much more of a challenge so I will try to be slightly conservative with my dictionary
lookups

Edited by dr sam gyup sal on 18 July 2012 at 12:50pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4704 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 478 of 656
18 July 2012 at 12:49pm | IP Logged 
UPDATE #13- Half Challenge + music in French and Hindi
New items marked with a *

Have been very busy with school work, and this weekend I go on holiday for two weeks.
Holiday is in France and Belgium, so lots of language practice will be available. But
I don't think I will be watching very much.

The only updates are some more French in Action, and a second viewing of Le Dîner de
Cons.

FRENCH FILMS

1. French in Action Lessons 2-4.
2. TV5 shows (1 hour 40 mins total).
3. On choisit pas ses parents.
4. French in Action lessons 5-7.
5. Cartoons on TV5 (about 2 hours in total).
6. French in Action lessons 8-10.
7. French in Action lessons 11-13
8. French in Action lessons 14-16
9. French in Action lessons 17-19
10. État de manque.
11. Various things on TV5. Mostly cartoons.
12. Rien à Déclarer
13. Various things on TV5
14. Le Dîner de Cons
*15. Le Dîner de Cons – enjoyed it enough to watch it again with my son.
*16. French in Action lessons 20-22

FRENCH BOOKS

1. Assimil New French with Ease.
2. Max et Mathilde en vacances (read about 20x).
3. Rémi et le mystère de Saint-Péray (read 3.3 times).

FRENCH MUSIC
1. Françoise Hardy- “Comment Te Dire Adieu”
2. Guillaume Grande-“L’Amour est Laid”
3. Lucienne Vernay with Les Quatres Barbus- “Songs in French for Children”
4. BB Brunes- Blonde Comme Moi

HINDI FILMS

1. Dhobhi Ghat (Mumbai Diaries).
2. Coolie
3. Munna Bhai MBBS.

HINDI BOOKS

Still nothing.

Anya
Pentaglot
France
Joined 5588 days ago

636 posts - 708 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, FrenchC1, English, Italian, Spanish
Studies: German, Japanese, Hungarian, Sanskrit, Portuguese, Turkish, Mandarin
Studies: Ancient Greek, Hindi

Message 479 of 656
18 July 2012 at 4:32pm | IP Logged 
Updata:Japanese 4%

Read 1.5/50 books
" grammar "

Watched 2.2/50 films
"Idiot "(film)
"Assimil:units 19-34"

rewire
Groupie
United States
learninglane.tumblr.Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4342 days ago

82 posts - 90 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Mandarin

Message 480 of 656
18 July 2012 at 7:19pm | IP Logged 
Late entry?

LANGUAGE: Japanese

CHALLENGE: Half Super Duper (100 films + 100 30 min conversations). The twitter bot
doesn't recognize doing a half challenge with conversations, apparently, though, so I'm
currently just registered as a half in film only over there. (I'm elegantreason/郁理.)

CURRENT LEVEL: Somewhere straddling A2/B1, best I can tell.

COMMENTS: Signing up late, but I’m retroactively counting what I’ve done since May 1st
when the challenge started, excepting conversations, which I’m just going to start
counting from this week. Conversations are sort of
"cheating" since I'm already in hour-long tutoring sessions weekly, but they are
primarily conversations and reading aloud, so I figure it counts, even if I am just
talking with my teacher.

And I'm unofficially doing 25 books as well, with ~5 manga tankoubon per "book." If I
get through them with time to spare, then I may bump it up and do the 50 (or 100 and do
the original challenge?), but I generally don't even have the time to get through that
many books in my native language these days let alone in Japanese which I read
significantly slower in, so I figured I'd aim pretty low to start. Which would put me
at around 1.5 books per month.

Edited by rewire on 18 July 2012 at 7:32pm

This discussion contains 656 messages over 82 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version