CHALLENGE: Spanish: SD(100/100) +conversation
                   French: HALF (50/50)
                   German: HALF (50/50)
                   Italian: HALF (50/50)

CURRENT LEVEL: Spanish: B1
                        French: A2
                        German: A1
                        Italian: A1

Oh, moj Bože. Estoy loca. Peut être SOY LOCA.
                    Â Â Â 

Edited by Kerrie on 23 April 2012 at 2:35pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

hjordis
United States
snapshotsoftheworld.
Joined 4980 days ago

209 posts - 264 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 10 of 656
23 April 2012 at 12:09am | IP Logged 
LANGUAGE: Japanese

CHALLENGE: Half (50/50) plus 50 conversation(after May 21)

CURRENT LEVEL: I can't really judge this as my abilities are so different

COMMENTS: This is the language dearest to me, and I want to finally push into the beginnings of an advanced stage. My listening is quite good, but my reading needs a lot of work and is painfully slow, so I will be starting with books. I have about half the book units I'll need, and will certainly pick up more when I'm in the country. I decided to count conversations after I got back from Japan so that I don't finish that bit too soon.

LANGUAGE:French

CHALLENGE: Half(50/50) plus 50 conversation

CURRENT LEVEL: I suppose it's A2, maybe down to A1 by now. It was once better.

COMMENTS: I've been meaning to get back into French for a long time now and this seemed like a good opportunity. My listening comprehension is awful, while I can read decently enough but not quickly and with less comprehension than I'd like. I have about half the books I need for this too, and more that are on my list to buy. I'd definitely like to get in the conversations for this one because I'm not comfortable using it at all.

General Comments: I doubt I'll finish with either of these, but I'll certainly try my best, though I must give a little time to my other language interests. I foresee life being very busy, but little pockets where I'll have little else to do. Next May, at least, should be nothing but free time. I can't be anything but better for the effort though. Good luck to everyone!

Edited by hjordis on 23 April 2012 at 12:15am

1 person has voted this message useful

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4482 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 11 of 656
23 April 2012 at 12:42am | IP Logged 
("OFFICIAL") LANGUAGE: French

CHALLENGE: 50/50

LEVEL: Passive-A2, I think. Active-A1 at most.

COMMENTS: I thought about S.C.'s comment, that we should ask ourselves what the one language is that we want
to take from not knowing to knowing, and this was definitely the answer for me. Since my level is still somewhat
low, it's been harder to stay motivated, and I think this challenge will help me get to the point where I can read and
watch films and understand enough to enjoy them.

("UNOFFICIAL") LANGUAGE: Dutch

CHALLENGE: 50/50

LEVEL: Passive-B1. Active-Total beginner.

COMMENTS: My German and Yiddish have allowed me to start understanding a lot with just a few weeks of study,
but I have essentially zero active skills. Naturally, I'd like to have them someday, but for now my goal in this
challenge is to reach at least a solid B2 in passive skills, and I'm not working on active skills. I am calling this my
"UNOFFICIAL" entry because I'm much more serious about trying to complete the French challenge, but I plan to do
a lot with Dutch in the 6WC, and I want to record it here. And who knows, maybe I'll complete one or both parts of
this challenge?

OTHERS: I also plan to keep track of books and films completed in German and Yiddish during the super challenge,
but I am not setting a target on either. Even though my active Yiddish skills are weak enough to meet the B1
maximum, I'm pretty sure that my reading and listening skills are above B1 for both languages, so it wouldn't be in
the spirit of the challenge to enter them.

LOG: http://justpaste.it/supergeoffw

Einarr
Tetraglot
United Kingdom
einarrslanguagelog.w
Joined 4407 days ago

118 posts - 269 votes 
Speaks: English, Bulgarian*, French, Russian
Studies: Swedish

Message 12 of 656
23 April 2012 at 12:49am | IP Logged 
LANGUAGE: Danish
CHALLENGE: Full

CURRENT LEVEL: I believe it's A2 tops.

COMMENTS: I've studied Danish, but abandoned it due to various reasons. So now, I want to continue on studying it, and of course master it. For quite some time now I was in a cluster which Scandinavian language should I study, yet things so happened, that that language came around to my mind again.I was wondering about Russian, but decided that Danish would suit my needs now better.

I'll post my progress here and into my blog: http://einarrslanguagelog.wordpress.com/

Edited by Einarr on 23 April 2012 at 12:52am

Tecktight
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
Joined 4770 days ago

227 posts - 327 votes 
Speaks: English*, Serbian
Studies: German, Russian, Estonian

Message 13 of 656
23 April 2012 at 1:02am | IP Logged 
LANGUAGE: Russian and German

CHALLENGE: Half 50/50

CURRENT LEVEL: B1/B2 German, A2 Russian

COMMENT: Need these both as working languages for school/internships. I hope to work over the years to get really
proficient in them, as I would like to be able to write fluidly in both of them. I write poems, stories, and news
articles in English, and would like to do the same in German and Russian. Right now, my ability to write is extremely
limited, and my limited skills certainly don't lend themselves to poetic language, as poetry requires a knowledge of
grammar so exceptional that it allows one to ignore grammar as one likes.
3 persons have voted this message useful

appelduvide
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4554 days ago

17 posts - 24 votes
Speaks: English*, French, Latin
Studies: Ancient Greek, Hungarian, German
Studies: Sámi

Message 14 of 656
23 April 2012 at 1:15am | IP Logged 
LANGUAGE: Hungarian

CHALLENGE: Full

CURRENT LEVEL: A1/A2

COMMENT: I learnt some Hungarian for a trip to Budapest a couple of weeks ago and, while I was there, fell in love with the language, thanks to being surrounded by and it and its all its super-friendly speakers! The film half will be easy for me as there are some brilliant Hungarian directs (Béla Tarr, Miklós Jancsó, Kornél Mundruczó among others). While I was out there I got a dictionary and a Tintin comic, which will be my first read, and then I can get down to Grant & Cutler (amazing foreign language bookshop in Foyles in London) and pick up some more literature by the likes of Sándor Márai, Sándor Petőfi etc. In fact, Béla Tarr has done a short film with readings from Petőfi's poetry so I can combine the two! I won't bombard you with lists, but I'll post in here if I feel like I cross any major milestones. Once my Hungarian gets to a higher level, I'm considering starting a blog to write reviews of books/films in the TL.

dandt
Australia
regarderetlire.wordp
Joined 4418 days ago

134 posts - 174 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French

Message 15 of 656
23 April 2012 at 1:16am | IP Logged 
LANGUAGE: french

CHALLENGE: full

CURRENT LEVEL: a1 I think

COMMENTS: as a fairly new learner this will be especially difficult. I hope to finish, but won't be
disappointed if I don't. Unless of course I am one book away from 100 which would suck bigtime. I'm
logging my progress on a blog, on my profile. I'd link it here but I'm on a mobile.

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4497 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 
Speaks: English*, Dutch
Studies: French, Indonesian

Message 16 of 656
23 April 2012 at 1:26am | IP Logged 
LANGUAGE: DUTCH

CHALLENGE: FULL

CURRENT LEVEL: B1

COMMENTS: It's been my dream to truly "know" Dutch for about ten months now. While
working my way toward B1 has been a great experience, I would really like to be able to
confidently state that I speak the language ...and at this point, I can't. My hope is
that the Super Challenge will get me there.

Edited by Hekje on 23 April 2012 at 1:26am

This discussion contains 656 messages over 82 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version