Joined 5266 days ago

277 posts - 553 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 193 of 656
07 May 2012 at 8:23am | IP Logged 
Update #3

15/100 Films
"Toute la vérité", Season 2 Vol 1 (10 episodes of 45 min each)
"Toute la vérité", Season 1 Vol 2 (10 episodes of 45 min each)
"Toute la vérité", Season 1 Vol 1 (10 episodes of 45 min each)

Still no books.

1 person has voted this message useful

Katze
Diglot
Germany
Joined 4855 days ago

11 posts - 11 votes
Speaks: German*, EnglishC1
Studies: French, Japanese

Message 194 of 656
07 May 2012 at 9:10pm | IP Logged 
Update

Film:
1. Film: InuYasha the Movie: Affections Touching Across Time (100 min) (1st May)
2. InuYasha, episodes 1 - 4 (95 min) (5th May)

New:
3. InuYasha, episodes 5 - 8 (95 min) (7th May)

I have some difficulties with reading, therefore progressing only slowly. But I keep on reading.

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4684 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 195 of 656
07 May 2012 at 9:44pm | IP Logged 
I had a busy little French weekend!

Books:

I finally finished the first part of Vingt mille lieues sous les mers. I only
had four or five chapters to go, so I won't be logging it on the twitter bot. I'm
thinking of it as my Challenge Prequel.

It was slow reading, though entertaining. There was a lot of witty banter between the
three heroes, most of which didn't come across in the English translation. There was
also a lot of filler, where one of the characters would discuss the phyllum family and
kingdom of every little fish that swam by the Nautilus. I"m pretty sure that Verne was
getting paid by the word.

I have two books that I'm in the process of reading for the Challenge:

1. Histoires, ou contes du temps passé, Charles Perrault (1697). I'll read
these short stories when I need a break. The language and narrative are straight
forward, so it's great for the B-1 level. I finished La Belle au bois dormant
(Sleeping Beauty), and there are some plot elements that Mr. Disney left out. Like,
Prince Charming's mother is an ogre who wants to eat Sleeping Beauty. It made the story
much more interesting.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Le Chat Botté (Puss in Boots) gets up to.

2. Madame Bovary, Gustave Flaubert. The big one! Flaubert's style is beautiful,
but challenging. Even when I recognize every word and tense I don't always understand a
paragraph. I downloaded a dual text version with alternating French / English
paragraphs. I end up reading a lot of passages three times: French - English - then
back to the French. It's a crappy translation; I think a lot of it was just done with
Google translate, but it helps immensely in understanding the poetry and elegance of
Flaubert's writing.

Films

2. Le mystère Picasso (Clouzot, 1956)     
Guernica (Resnais, 1950).

I almost didn't count these, as there was not a whole lot of dialogue. Then I thought,
I spent an evening immersed in slightly pretentious and very Gallic arty-moodiness, and
surely that must count for something.

The film watches Picasso paint on a light screen, so you watch the works being created
without actually seeing the man or the brush. Some are bad. Some are interesting. Some
go through interesting phases but he keeps editing them and they end up crappy. I hated
a lot of the film, I jumped around a lot, but kept going back to watch one more piece
being created, and ended up watching the whole thing, just not in order.

Next up:

3. Ma saison préférée
(André Téchiné, 1993). A mother's illness brings her dysfunctional family together in
this critically acclaimed foreign-language drama from director André Téchiné. While
caring for her ailing mother (Marthe Villalonga), Emilie (Catherine Deneuve) finds
herself inexplicably drawn toward her estranged brother, Antoine (Daniel Auteuil), and
away from her husband (Jean-Pierre Bouvier). Marcello Mastroianni's daughter Chiara
also
stars.

Edited by kanewai on 07 May 2012 at 9:51pm

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5129 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 196 of 656
07 May 2012 at 11:10pm | IP Logged 
To work around the technical limitations I have created a new thread

SUPER CHALLENGE PARTICIPANTS

which - surprise, surprise contains the updated list of the participants:-)

Obs. Please have a look if everything is correct, but do not make any comments or corrections in that thread . Either make them here, or even better in the

SUPER CHALLENGE COMMENT THREAD

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 07 May 2012 at 11:15pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

sekard
England
Joined 4489 days ago

10 posts - 13 votes
Studies: Italian

Message 197 of 656
07 May 2012 at 11:15pm | IP Logged 
Hello everyone, and what a wonderful idea.Sign me up please,count me in.

LANGUAGE:Italian

CHALLENGE:Super Challenge

CURRENT LEVEL:A1 at the moment,although my speaking level at the minute is virtually non-existent.

COMMENTS:This has come at the perfect time,as i want to really kick on in my ability to understand Italian.I've around 5 books to read (including HP)and a few more film resources to keep me busy for a couple of months.How i'm going to read and watch 100 films in 20 months is anyones guess but i'm one of these people who likes challenges that seem unobtainable.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4704 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 198 of 656
07 May 2012 at 11:51pm | IP Logged 
UPDATE #5

FRENCH FILMS

1. French in Action Lessons 2-4.
2. TV5 shows (1 hour 40 mins total).
3. On choisit pas ses parents.
(Watched about 20 mins of cartoons on TV5... and 2 of the next 3 FIA episodes).

FRENCH BOOKS

1. Assimil New French with Ease. I'm viewing it as a graded reader, and the French text covers a little over 100 pages (when you take out the extra lines of explanation, cut out the English pages, etc). I read it while listening to the audio. It was a good review to help me restart my progress through the course (I worked through lesson 58 passive this evening).

HINDI FILMS

1. Dhobhi Ghat (Mumbai Diaries).

HINDI BOOKS

Haven't read anything yet (focusing on French for the 6wc).

Edited by Jeffers on 07 May 2012 at 11:52pm

RMM
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5022 days ago

91 posts - 215 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Ancient Greek, French, Swedish, Japanese

Message 199 of 656
08 May 2012 at 1:01am | IP Logged 
UPDATE

For my first Italian film and my second German film, I watched some documentaries (about 45-55 minutes in length). I’m counting two as one film. Since I really like history, I’m going to try to get in several historical documentary shows during the challenge. In this way, I feel like I will be killing two birds with one stone; I’ll be learning history and studying foreign languages all at once.

I thought the documentaries were quite good. The “Hitlers Helfer” one, though, had some ridiculously blaring B-movie horror film soundtrack. I think everyone has already figured out that the Nazis are the bad guys without needing slasher flick music in the background. I’ve seen some of the “Correva l’anno” history shows before, and I think they are very well put together. I definitely looking forward to watching more of that series and would recommend them to anyone else studying Italian who likes history.

Several “Correva l’anno” shows on a wide variety of historical topics are on YouTube for free at the moment, as are several episodes in the German “Hitlers Helfer” series. The documentary I watched about the Nazi Foreign Ministry is also on YouTube: Nazi-Diplomatie Intern.

The only actual movie that I watched was the German comedy set in 1989 West Berlin, Herr Lehmann, which I liked. From a language learners point of view, a lot of the dialogue was exceptionally rapid and there was also a fair amount of slang and cursing. I watched with English subs and I’m glad I did. I would have missed a lot if I hadn’t.

Both this film and one of the documentaries contained some commentary of sorts on the use of the “du” form in German. Throughout the film, the main character’s friends all call him both “Herr Lehmann” and the familiar “du,” which he and a lot of other people find bizarre. In the Auswärtiges Amt (Foreign Ministry) documentary, one former official amusedly recalls how Alexander Dörnberg, the former head of protocol for the Foreign Ministry and a family friend of Foreign Minister von Ribbentrop, used to address his boss von Ribbentrop with a mixture of formality and informality: “Du, Reichsminister, hör mal…” I guess the moral of the story is not to call someone with whom you use “du” by their last name or formal title or people will think you are a weirdo and will still be talking about it 60 years later…

Well, that’s all I can think of language related. So far I’m really enjoying the challenge.

RUNNING TOTAL:

German (Half)

Books:
Partial book

Films:
1. Die Feuerzangenbowle (1944)
2. Nazi-Diplomatie Intern: Das Auswärtige Amt in der Ära Ribbentrop / Hitlers Helfer: Joseph Goebbels - Der Brandstifter
3. Herr Lehmann (2003)

Italian (Half)

Books:
Partial book

Films:
1. Correva l’anno: Processo di Norimberga - Joachim von Ribbentrop / Correva l'anno: La Seconda Guerra Mondiale - I medici del Reich

Spanish (Half)

Books:
Partial book

Films:

Edited by RMM on 08 May 2012 at 1:25am

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4654 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 200 of 656
08 May 2012 at 1:33am | IP Logged 
Oops, I haven't posted informations about my challenges here. So:
Half Super Challenge - Czech
Half Super Challenge - Russian
Half Super Challenge Only Films - Bulgarian

This discussion contains 656 messages over 82 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version