Joined 5265 days ago

277 posts - 553 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 217 of 656
09 May 2012 at 6:19pm | IP Logged 
Update #4

20/100 Films
"Toute la vérité", Season 2 Vol 2 (10 episodes of 45 min each)
"Toute la vérité", Season 2 Vol 1 (10 episodes of 45 min each)
"Toute la vérité", Season 1 Vol 2 (10 episodes of 45 min each)
"Toute la vérité", Season 1 Vol 1 (10 episodes of 45 min each)

Well thats the end of that series. Now I have 120 22 minute episodes of "30 Vies" to watch which
should provide tonnes of practice listening to teenagers (always difficult it seems). Although I may watch a couple movies first.

Still no books.

Edited by microsnout on 09 May 2012 at 6:29pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6414 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 218 of 656
09 May 2012 at 7:24pm | IP Logged 
UPDATE

Movies:

1. となりのトトロ
2. 魔女の宅急便(w/ sub)
3. 魔女の宅急便(w/o sub)

Books:

Writing:

1. 自己紹介 + 大挑戦

This isn’t a contest, but even so, I didn’t like falling farther and farther down the list. So I decided to watch some movies (actually the same movie twice – with and without subtitles). After all, a movie only takes about an hour-and-a-half to watch, while reading a book takes more like 40 hours.

I should be finished with Harry Potter by Friday too :)

Edited by Brun Ugle on 09 May 2012 at 7:25pm

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4703 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 219 of 656
09 May 2012 at 8:22pm | IP Logged 
UPDATE #6

FRENCH FILMS

1. French in Action Lessons 2-4.
2. TV5 shows (1 hour 40 mins total).
3. On choisit pas ses parents.
4. French in Action lessons 5-7. It is an awesome series... I just wish Mireille and Robert would meet already!!

FRENCH BOOKS

1. Assimil New French with Ease.
2. Max et Mathilde en vacances. It is a fairly short children's book, so I read it 10 times. The Max et Mathilde books are great for children and beginners in French. The audio has two sections: first they read each line in French, followed by the English translation, the whold way through the story. Then they start again, reading each line in French with a pause for you to repeat it. If anyone is just starting with French, or wants their children to begin with French, I highly recommend all four books. (And I'll be working on the other three next, then on to slightly harder books!)

HINDI FILMS

1. Dhobhi Ghat (Mumbai Diaries).

HINDI BOOKS

Haven't read anything yet (focusing on French for the 6wc)

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5128 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 220 of 656
09 May 2012 at 8:22pm | IP Logged 
Brun Ugle wrote:

This isn’t a contest, but even so, I didn’t like falling farther and farther down the list. So I decided to watch some movies (actually the same movie twice – with and without subtitles). After all, a movie only takes about an hour-and-a-half to watch, while reading a book takes more like 40 hours.

Sure it is - if that is what motivates you!

Mm. Think I am gong to move on to a film or two too.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5128 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 221 of 656
09 May 2012 at 9:34pm | IP Logged 
I had planned on making periodical summaries to see who is leading (or still in), but since Iversen suggested a separate thread for that, I have made such a thread. You are welcome to join in with encouragements, but otherwise that thread is reserved for the periodical summaries. Your updates and registrations should still be happening here :-)

SUPER CHALLENGE PERIODICAL SUMMARY

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4653 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 222 of 656
10 May 2012 at 1:29am | IP Logged 
Finally:
Столичани в повече, S01 E01, 50 min
They are waiting..., 10 min

I don't remember when I liked any comedy series so much as it is with "Столичани в повече". Can't wait to see another episodes!
"The are waiting" is a one-reel film.

Just a little question for those who take care of the bot - how do you think, why the system haven't scrolled the tile of the first film? First I've thought the problem is with script, but it's not the case. So, there are two options: or the coma inside the quotation mark or the accidental double quote at the beginning of the tweet.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5128 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 223 of 656
10 May 2012 at 11:10am | IP Logged 
RUSSIAN UPDATE

FILMS
1. Robin Hood (May 1st)
2. The Jungle Book (May 1st)
3. The Jungle Book 3 (May 5th).

4. Love and other impossible pursuits (May 10th)

You know the feeling when you bite into an apple which you expect to be sweet and juicy, and it is so sour that your whole face wrinkles? Well that is the feeling I got with this film. I started it last night around 11 in the evening, thinking this would be a feel good film, and that I could see half before going to sleep with a smile on my face, and then see the rest in the morning.

Well turns out this was about a family who had problems, because they had lost a child, and the son from the husband's first marriage and the stepmom did not have the best of relationships. The stepmom was played by Natalie Portman, who is one of my favourtite actresses, but in this one she managed to come across as so unpleasent that I was unable to feel much sympathey for her, despite of her grief over her lost child.

My mother lost three children, and I know how terrible that is, but I still could not get past this woman's behaviour. I did not have much sympathy for the fact that she broke up a family either. I know that you can never say never, and that every case is different, and I try not to be judgemental. I have however been in the situation several times that I have really liked a guy, who liked me back, who happened to have a girlfriend or a wife, and I have always walked away. I am probably old fashioned, but seing this woman who had broken up a family being indifferent, bordering on the hostile towards her little stepson broke my heart in two. I guess it played on every mother's fear that you die, and your children are left at the mercy of some other woman who do not love them.

Linguistically it is of course a lot harder than the films intended for children, so I understood less of the content, but I am happy just to be able to see the film (without any subtitles whatsoever, not even in Russian) and still be able to understand the main things. I also started to ponder on the thought that 80% of communication is said to be non verbal. Does the fact that you understand less of the language make you pay more attention to the bodily language and mimic, I wonder?

Since it was an American film it did of course have a happy ending, but the film is not one I plan on ever seeing again.

CONVERSATION
1. Conversation May 1st
2. Conversation May 1st.

READING
1. Appointment with death (AC) May 8th) (280 pages)

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5128 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 224 of 656
10 May 2012 at 9:09pm | IP Logged 
RUSSIAN UPDATE

FILMS
1. Robin Hood (May 1st)
2. The Jungle Book (May 1st)
3. The Jungle Book 3 (May 5th).
4. Love and other impossible pursuits (May 10th)

CONVERSATION
1. Conversation May 1st
2. Conversation May 1st.

READING
1. Appointment with death (AC) May 8th) (280 pages)

NEWEST ITEM - FILM

5. Letters to Juliet (May 10th)(with Russian subtitles).

I had seen this one before, and loved it, and it was nice to recognize more words. The funny thing is that when I see a film in Russian, with Russian subtitles, like this one, I understand more fromt the subtitles than from the spoken word - which is strange, given how poor my reading abilities are.

Anyway, a lovely sweet film, which I do not mind seeing several times. There are a few things which disturb my sense of logic, but I guess there is just so much logic you can expect from a romantic comedy.

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 10 May 2012 at 10:18pm

This discussion contains 656 messages over 82 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version