2 posts - 3 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 106 of 656
01 May 2012 at 4:18am | IP Logged 
LANGUAGE: French

CHALLENGE: Full (100 movies, 100 books)

CURRENT LEVEL: A1

COMMENTS: I have low expectations for actually completing this challenge, but it's giving me a different way to view my studies, and I think I'll get something positive out of it. If nothing else, my French should end up a little better than it is now. I'm looking forward to see what I can do with it.

Here we go!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5351 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 107 of 656
01 May 2012 at 5:35am | IP Logged 
*chinking imaginary glasses*
Here's to quantum leaps in progress and beating all the odds! Best of luck in the challenge, everybody!!

Edited by Teango on 01 May 2012 at 5:35am

4 persons have voted this message useful

Kartof
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 4861 days ago

391 posts - 550 votes 
Speaks: English*, Bulgarian*, Spanish
Studies: Danish

Message 108 of 656
01 May 2012 at 7:24am | IP Logged 
LANGUAGE: Bulgarian

CHALLENGE: Double - 200 books

CURRENT LEVEL: Native

COMMENTS: As I have written on the other Super Challenge thread, I don't have much much experience in reading
Bulgarian. This is one use of the language for which I found difficulty in getting access to with the bombardment
of easily accessible English literature and reading materials. I hope that with this challenge I will force myself to
catch up on reading those books that every Bulgarian speaker MUST have read - both classical and modern!
(I hope I'm not too late to sign up :))

1 person has voted this message useful

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6415 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 109 of 656
01 May 2012 at 9:59am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
THE TALK

I decided that since the Super challenge is about to begin in just a few hours, it would be a good time to do - THE TALK -

No, not that talk – I’ll leave that to your parents :-)

My mother was too embarrassed to give me that talk. She just borrowed some tapes from the church and forced me to listen to them in the car. Hopefully it was just as unpleasant for her as it was for me. All I remember is that EVERYTHING is a sin.

Solfrid Cristin wrote:

Since this is an extremely demanding challenge, and it is not 12 months but 20 months, we can statistically expect only 10 % to make it. That would be approximately 4 persons. Now on a group level even if just those 4 persons make it, it will still be a success, but my hope is that we through this thread, and through mutual encouragements, can raise the percentage.

I do hope we will do better than that. It will certainly be hard, especially the reading, but I hope we will be able to encourage each other enough for most of us to make it to the finish line, or at least come close.

Solfrid Cristin wrote:

And of course we start having some sun and light after months of cold and darkness, so people think you are mad if you sit inside watching films or reading books.

So take your book outside and sit in the sun.

Edited by Brun Ugle on 01 May 2012 at 10:00am

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5129 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 110 of 656
01 May 2012 at 12:17pm | IP Logged 
Second film down: Only 98 to go:-)

FILMS

1. Robin Hood (May 1st)
2. The Jungle Book (May 1st)
I have seen some of the scenes 50 times, so it was so weird listening to the Russian version. I know what they are saying, but do not understand the words - or at least just some of the words. I had no subtitles with this one, and am debating with myself whether I learn more vocabulary whith or whithout subtitles. Without subtitles I have to concentrate more, and of course miss out a lot, with subtitles I can see what the unknow words mean, but I have to really concentrate not to just watch the subtitles, so it is actually more demanding to watch with subtitles than without.

I think they did a great job with the dubbing in this, but I cannot help thinking what an absolutely superb job the Swedes did with the same film. For me the default language for Disney films is Swedish, because they are absolute artists with the dialogue - it is the one thing I prefer to watch in Swedish instead of in Norwegian. They do a very god job in Norwegian too, but the Swedish versions are sublime.

By the way, as you see I have chosen to list the names of the films I see in the updates in this thread - The previous film will just have the number and title, and then I write some comments, when I have them, for the last one.

You do not have to do the same - but then you (and I :-) can see at a glance where you are. I just copied my first update, deleted the comments for the first film, and added the comments for the last film. In that way it is easy peasy for you to see how many films you have seen, and you don't have to go back through the thread to see what you ahve seen. Just an idea :-)

2 persons have voted this message useful

maydayayday
Pentaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5014 days ago

564 posts - 839 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, SpanishB2, FrenchB2
Studies: Arabic (Egyptian), Russian, Swedish, Turkish, Polish, Persian, Vietnamese
Studies: Urdu

Message 111 of 656
01 May 2012 at 1:00pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Second film down: Only 98 to go:-)

FILMS

1. Robin Hood (May 1st)
2. The Jungle Book (May 1st)
I have seen some of the scenes 50 times, so it was so weird listening to the Russian version. I know what they are saying, but do not understand the words - or at least just some of the words. I had no subtitles with this one, and am debating with myself whether I learn more vocabulary whith or whithout subtitles. Without subtitles I have to concentrate more, and of course miss out a lot, with subtitles I can see what the unknow words mean, but I have to really concentrate not to just watch the subtitles, so it is actually more demanding to watch with subtitles than without.

I think they did a great job with the dubbing in this, but I cannot help thinking what an absolutely superb job the Swedes did with the same film. For me the default language for Disney films is Swedish, because they are absolute artists with the dialogue - it is the one thing I prefer to watch in Swedish instead of in Norwegian. They do a very god job in Norwegian too, but the Swedish versions are sublime.

By the way, as you see I have chosen to list the names of the films I see in the updates in this thread - The previous film will just have the number and title, and then I write some comments, when I have them, for the last one.

You do not have to do the same - but then you (and I :-) can see at a glance where you are. I just copied my first update, deleted the comments for the first film, and added the comments for the last film. In that way it is easy peasy for you to see how many films you have seen, and you don't have to go back through the thread to see what you ahve seen. Just an idea :-)

I was actually typing a note to ask for review/recommendations when this popped up on the other machine (Don't ask: I'm working from home so there are several machines on the go today! I am a little worried that they are all logged in to htlal though.)

I thought of trying to use just native French films but I now think this is a bit unrealistic. Apart from I like Audrey Tatou, a lot. Just added priceless to my lovefilm list. There is nothing wrong with a bloke liking rom-com is there?

Like one of the other posters I get distracted by lip-synch but you have just pointed me at all the cartoon/animated films.

You do realise that now I will have to stop reading in English !

Edited by maydayayday on 01 May 2012 at 1:14pm

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5129 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 112 of 656
01 May 2012 at 2:06pm | IP Logged 
Kartof wrote:
LANGUAGE: Bulgarian

CHALLENGE: Double - 200 books

CURRENT LEVEL: Native

COMMENTS: As I have written on the other Super Challenge thread, I don't have much much experience in reading
Bulgarian. This is one use of the language for which I found difficulty in getting access to with the bombardment
of easily accessible English literature and reading materials. I hope that with this challenge I will force myself to
catch up on reading those books that every Bulgarian speaker MUST have read - both classical and modern!
(I hope I'm not too late to sign up :))

Ok. I am done thinking:

Here you have:

THE ADVANCED SUPER CHALLENGE B2-C2

This discussion contains 656 messages over 82 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version