Joined 6415 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 233 of 656
11 May 2012 at 7:47am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Brun Ugle wrote:

Yay! I finally finished reading Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. Once again, Harry and his friends saved the day. Fortunately, they took so long about doing it, that this counts as two books. (Double yay!)

Congratulations! That is great, if you can read a HP in little over a week you are doing very well indeed!

And it only took 46 hours spread over 10 days! The English version probably took about 5-6 hours.

On the other hand, I've look at what other people have done. I don't know how anyone can watch 36 films in 10 days. I find it hard enough to sit still through one.

Edited by Brun Ugle on 11 May 2012 at 7:51am

2 persons have voted this message useful

fiziwig
United States
Joined 4660 days ago

297 posts - 618 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 234 of 656
11 May 2012 at 8:09am | IP Logged 
Stayed up late to finish Los juegos del hambre (The Hunger Games) in Spanish. around 380 pages (the Kindle edition doesn't have page numbers but that's about the page count of the English edition according to Amazon)

After 6 straight days of reading only Spanish, I'm seriously craving some English to read!!!! :) I need to rest my brain for a while with something more familiar.

I WILL DEFINITELY be picking up the two remaining books in the trilogy. But I'll probably read a couple easier books before I do that. I still have three easy intermediate level Spanish readers (short story collections) I can read to give myself a breather from the heavier stuff.
1 person has voted this message useful

Tamise
Triglot
United Kingdom
jllrr.wordpress.com/
Joined 5038 days ago

115 posts - 161 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Dutch
Studies: French, Japanese, Spanish

Message 235 of 656
11 May 2012 at 8:33am | IP Logged 
fiziwig wrote:
After 6 straight days of reading only Spanish, I'm seriously craving some English to read!!!! :) I need to rest my brain for a while with something more familiar.

If you can deal with reading more than one book at a time, it might be worth keeping reading an English one at the same time as the Spanish. I'm still reading in a couple of other languages, but just for less time a day. In a normal working day there are five periods in which I can read - for three I'm reading Japanese only, for one German only and the other has Japanese and whatever else I fancy.

Anyway, congratulations on finishing the book so quickly - especially when you doubted you could do it when you started! (Incidentally, it's on my list of books to get in Japanese.)

Einarr
Tetraglot
United Kingdom
einarrslanguagelog.w
Joined 4408 days ago

118 posts - 269 votes 
Speaks: English, Bulgarian*, French, Russian
Studies: Swedish

Message 236 of 656
11 May 2012 at 12:07pm | IP Logged 
I was searching for this thread for several days now, I really need my glasses back. :D

So, I'll quickly summarize my updates so far. More info with movie reviews and so on, can be found in my blog. :) I also tweet the movies, can't really figure out how to tweet separate pages and articles I read.

As I've posted earlier in this thread, I'm doing Danish for the Challenge.

So here it goes my list:

MOVIES

1. Parterapi
2. Flammen & Citronen
3. Blå mænd
4. Direktøren for det hele
5. Hold om mig
6. To verdener
7. Bora Bora

BOOKS/READING

Right now, I´ve read around 50 pages of my first book - Hus og Hjem by Helle Helle It's a rather light read, but it goes very slowly, as I couldn't resist the indulgence of translating it, and I hope to finish it all (reading + translating) within a week, two weeks tops. :)

Apart from that I read at least 5 articles per day on www.dr.dk They are roughly a page's length, which makes around 55 additional pages per 11 days of challenge. :)

That's from me so far. :)

a3
Triglot
Bulgaria
Joined 5051 days ago

273 posts - 370 votes 
Speaks: Bulgarian*, English, Russian
Studies: Portuguese, German, Italian, Spanish, Norwegian, Finnish

Message 237 of 656
11 May 2012 at 2:57pm | IP Logged 

LANGUAGE: Norwegian

CHALLENGE: full superchallenge 100 books and 100 films

CURRENT LEVEL: somewhere indefinitely between A1 and A2, but more leaning towards A1

COMMENTS: I may add another language later on, is it allowed to do two challenges for different languages at the same time?

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5129 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 238 of 656
11 May 2012 at 4:52pm | IP Logged 
a3 wrote:

COMMENTS: I may add another language later on, is it allowed to do two challenges for different
languages at the same time?

Yes it is :-)

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 11 May 2012 at 5:04pm

RMM
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5022 days ago

91 posts - 215 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Ancient Greek, French, Swedish, Japanese

Message 239 of 656
11 May 2012 at 10:17pm | IP Logged 
Jeffers, thanks for mentioning the book "Herr Lehmann." Since I enjoyed the movie, I may check out the book also. It looks like it would be good for someone not too advanced in the language, and I'm sure it will be amusing.

Also, just to mention, I went ahead and gave in and signed up for Twitter and the Language Challenge bot. I had no intention of ever starting a Twitter account, but I kept checking the bot page and eventually decided I wanted to be in the list there too. At any rate, I think I figured everything out OK and that everything is displayed properly. (Although what's up with the differing rules for what constitutes a book or movie on there? I just didn't list minutes or pages to avoid the problem.)

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5129 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 240 of 656
12 May 2012 at 9:34am | IP Logged 
RUSSIAN UPDATE

FILMS
1. Robin Hood (May 1st)(no subs)
2. The Jungle Book (May 1st)(no subs)
3. The Jungle Book 3 (May 5th). (no subs)
4. Love and other impossible pursuits (May 10th)(no subs)
5. Letters to Juliet (May 10th)(Russian with Russian subtitles).

CONVERSATION
1. Conversation May 1st
2. Conversation May 1st.

READING
1. Appointment with death (AC) May 8th) (280 pages)

NEWEST ITEM - FILM

6. Water for elephants may 12th, (no subs)

A film which was beautiful and cruel and original - all in one. As someone who is absolutely allergic to any sort of cruelty to animals, there were a few scenes that were too strong for me. I do not know why I can watch a person on TV being beaten into a pulp without having any major reaction, yet when I see the slightest cruelty to animals (or children) I want to vomit. It is perhaps the fact that I feel that they are helpless, and in need of our special care.

This one I would actually like to see again once my Russian has improved. It is way too weak for me to get much of the dialogue, and I only cath a word here and there and the occasional sentence. I try to tell myself that this is an excellent preparation for real life Russian,but it still bothers me that I have to spend so much effort just to get the gist of things.

This discussion contains 656 messages over 82 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version