United Kingdom
Joined 4703 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 353 of 656
12 June 2012 at 3:38pm | IP Logged 
microsnout wrote:
Watched the classic French comedy "Le dîner de cons". I had watched it before several times but this was the first time
with no sub-titles so it was more challenging to follow all details. I can't say exactly what percentage I understood
because I knew the story so well from previous viewings. It is highly recommended if you haven't seen it. It is about a
group of friends in Paris who have regular dinner parties where they compete by trying to bring the dumbest idiot as a
guest without telling the guest this of course. The principal character finds the ultimate idiot but never makes it to the
dinner because he gets stuck in his apartment with him. The movie was remade in English under the name "The dinner
game" and is an absolutely awful movie, they even made it 40 min longer than the original to compound the error.

There's a Hindi version of this as well, Bheja Fry. It is 15 minutes longer than the French film, but is very short for a Hindi film. I remember enjoying it.... but there was no dancing!!
1 person has voted this message useful

Kyrie
United States
clandestein.deviantaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5523 days ago

207 posts - 231 votes 
Studies: Portuguese

Message 354 of 656
12 June 2012 at 7:47pm | IP Logged 
LANGUAGE: Portuguese

CHALLENGE: Half

CURRENT LEVEL: A2

COMMENTS: I hope to be fluent in Portuguese for my trip to Brazil. This challenge will
motivate me to keep up the studies!

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5128 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 355 of 656
12 June 2012 at 9:43pm | IP Logged 
Kyrie wrote:
LANGUAGE: Portuguese

CURRENT LEVEL: A2

COMMENTS: I hope to be fluent in Portuguese for my trip to Brazil. This challenge will
motivate me to keep up the studies!

You are registred!

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4683 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 356 of 656
13 June 2012 at 12:45am | IP Logged 
I liked your review, microsnount - so I've just added Le dîner de cons to my queue!

I got a lot of reading done this weekend, finishing the second book of Madame Bovary and one manga, Rohan au Louvre. This is the fifth of a series of graphic novels that the Louvre commissioned from mangakas, and the third I've read.

It's 128 pages, though I'm logging it at 20 (1/5 of a 'book'), and this feels about right. I started writing down words that I had to look up, as recommended on the HTLAL Guide (FX's essential guide to learning a language), and my rates seem comparable between one graphic novel and 1/5 of a book.

As an aside: I was shocked at how many words I was actually looking up. There's a lot of vocabulary out there! This is really helping me a lot in appeciating the text, as opposed to just undertanding it. The language becomes more alive when you know the exact definition of a word, rather than the general definition you can sense from the text. I'd highly recommend this for other intermediate learners. I thought about entering the words I wrote down into Anki, but there are too many of them.

Next up: 115 more pages of Bovary, and Le Lotus blue - my first Tintin! I'm love it so far; it's very "Indiana Jones" and appeals to the 13 year old dreamer in me.

Current count: 3 books (340 pages) and 6 films.

Edited by kanewai on 13 June 2012 at 12:49am

wv girl
Diglot
United States
Joined 5033 days ago

174 posts - 330 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 357 of 656
13 June 2012 at 1:00pm | IP Logged 
As an aside: I was shocked at how many words I was actually looking up. There's a lot of vocabulary out there!
This is really helping me a lot in appeciating the text, as opposed to just undertanding it. The language becomes
more alive when you know the exact definition of a word, rather than the general definition you can sense from
the text.

kanewai, I fully agree with you. My reading practice generally consists of being in front of google translate with
a notebook, so I can write down words that I don't know. I don't do this for every one, but little by little, my
vocabulary is improving. Most of these words haven't moved into my active vocab, but it"s nice to come upon a
word later & recognize it passively. LIke you, I don't want to just "understand" the story, as if I need to pass a
comprehension quiz at the end. I want to enjoy the text as much as I can, because reading is a real pleasure.   

I hadn't updated because I hadn't finished the book, but I'm 228 pages into La Piramide Roja. So I guess my list
looks like:

Libros:
1. La Casa en Mango Street (112)
2. No Bajes Al Sotano (121)

Peliculas:
1. Solas

I also am still reading some out loud for spoken practice. Well, back to my book, before the day starts in
earnest!

Tamise
Triglot
United Kingdom
jllrr.wordpress.com/
Joined 5037 days ago

115 posts - 161 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Dutch
Studies: French, Japanese, Spanish

Message 358 of 656
13 June 2012 at 1:05pm | IP Logged 
Additional Registration

LANGUAGE: French

CURRENT LEVEL: A2/B1

COMMENTS: I've been ignoring my French for years, because I don't like studying it - this should be a good way to get it back in shape. There's some good recommendations here, so I'll be sure to follow them up.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5128 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 359 of 656
13 June 2012 at 1:58pm | IP Logged 
Tamise wrote:
Additional Registration

LANGUAGE: French

CURRENT LEVEL: A2/B1

COMMENTS: I've been ignoring my French for years, because I don't like studying it - this should be a good way to get it back in shape. There's some good recommendations here, so I'll be sure to follow them up.

You are on!

hjordis
United States
snapshotsoftheworld.
Joined 4980 days ago

209 posts - 264 votes 
Studies: French, German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 360 of 656
14 June 2012 at 3:05am | IP Logged 
'Japanese Books

1. HunterxHunter treasures vol.1 manga 788 pages=157 pages
2. HunterxHunter treasures vol.2 manga 520 pages=104 pages

Japanese Movies

1. となりのトトロ

I really love this movie. I was pleased to find out that I could understand even more than when I watched it about a year ago.

French Books

1. Easy French Reader 100 pages

French Movies

1. Le Roi Lion
2. Mon Voisin Totoro

I couldn't help but watch it in French after I watched it in Japanese since it was available and it's a movie I'm familiar enough with, even though I don't think I've ever watched it in English.

I'm already starting to notice improvements in my French as my reading and watching reinforce each other and I'm starting to play with it a little in my mind, and every day it gets easier as I get used to using it.

This discussion contains 656 messages over 82 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version