1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 337 of 383
21 October 2008 at 3:48am | IP Logged 
20/10/08

Evening

Greek

Read\Listen to Take Off In Greek (Units 1-2) (~2.5 hours)
- Did almost all the written exercises on unit 1. This was a slow process, as my handrwritten Greek is very slow. The lowercase Ξ is written as, ξ, and this took a bit of practice, and my rendition still looks ugly.
- I didn't think I'd need to use the audio, as I listened to it earlier, but I did. I'm coming to know the pronunciation rules but not smoothly. I still can't pronounce properly new Greek words, unless I hear them first.
- The course has a couple of annoyances apart from the proliferation of English audio. They don't translate all the dialogues. It wasn't until I read a grammar summary did I figure the meaning of το(ν), the masculine accusative definite article, and τη(ν) the feminine definite article in the accusative.

Listened to Take Off In Greek (Pronunciation, Units 1-4) (~1.25 hours)
- Managed to listen to the very start of unit 4. The repeated listening session seem to be working, as I'm deducing more dialogues without explicitly studying them. I was very tempted to try L-R in Greek, but there doesn't seem to be any resources. :-(.

Edited by DaraghM on 21 October 2008 at 3:49am

1 person has voted this message useful

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5951 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 

Message 338 of 383
21 October 2008 at 4:04am | IP Logged 
21/10/10

Morning

Greek

Read FSI Greek Basic Course (Units 2-3) (~20 minutes)
- Read through unit 2 very slowly, including all the drills. Just read the very start of unit 3. The course is quite different from FSI Hungarian, but not in a good way. They use transliteration, and no Greek in some sections, and they don't translate the text like in FSI Hungarian.

Listened to FSI Greek Basic Course (Units 1-2) (~20 minutes)
- I think I'm starting to master unit 1 now. The FSI Greek course translates, "How are you" as "Πως είστε;" (Pos Iste), while TOIG translates it as, "τί κάνεις;" (Ti kanis). I thought the FSI might've been incorrect, but it shows up in a number of Google searches.

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5951 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 

Message 339 of 383
21 October 2008 at 8:29am | IP Logged 
21/10/08

Lunch (~45 minutes)

Greek

Listened to FSI Greek Basic Course (Units 2-3)
- Did another session at lunch, while walking along, and trying to look at my notes. I'm not sure if I'll have move on a unit before the end of the week. While Greek is progressing, it doesn't feel I'm acquiring it as quickly as I did the other languages. Perhaps it's the material I'm using. I wish that the Greek Michel Thomas course had been published already.

Edited by DaraghM on 21 October 2008 at 8:30am

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5951 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 

Message 340 of 383
22 October 2008 at 4:03am | IP Logged 
21/10/08

Evening

Greek

Read\Listen to Take Off In Greek (Unit 2, Grammar section.) (~1 hour)
- Didn't get to do as much as I hoped. The units in this course are much longer than other similar courses, with about 4 to 5 dialogues per unit, and a lot more exercises. I'm slowly getting to grips with the pronuciation, though I'm still stumped by words with four or more syllables, and the occasional dipthong. While it's easier now to identify and pronouce each individual syllable, I'm still struggling with the correct stressing,and a lot more with the general rhythm.

Listened to Take Off In Greek (Units 1-4) (~1.25 hours)
- Skipped the pronunciation section, and heard a lot more of unit 4, including the numbers 20 to 100. Every three units fills an entire CD, which means a lot of Greek listening material, but also a lot of English filler.

Edited by DaraghM on 22 October 2008 at 4:04am

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5951 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 

Message 341 of 383
22 October 2008 at 4:19am | IP Logged 
22/10/10

Morning

Greek

Read FSI Greek Basic Course (Units 2-3) (~20 minutes)
- Reread quickly most of unit 2, and a good bit of unit 3. I'm now finding the original Greek easier to follow than their transliterations. Unfortunately, they don't have enough original Greek.

- The first unit contains the numbers 1 to 10. I can recite them easily, but I want complete passive recognition with rapid speech.

Edited by DaraghM on 22 October 2008 at 4:31am

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5951 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 

Message 342 of 383
22 October 2008 at 7:55am | IP Logged 
22/10/08

Lunch (~45 minutes)

Greek

Listened to FSI Greek Basic Course (Units 2-3)
- Concentration waver slightly on this session, though I got all of the dialogues. The arithmetic section was my weakness. I'll do the same session tomorrow.

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5951 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 

Message 343 of 383
23 October 2008 at 3:42am | IP Logged 
22/10/08

Evening

Greek

Read\Listen to Take Off In Greek (Unit 2-3, Grammar section.) (~2 hours)
- Starting out in a language can be mentally taxing at the initial stages, but it gets a bit easier as one progresses. The pace of my Greek learning has started increasing. I've learnt the regular Group 1 verb present and past endings, by writing out a number of verbs in both these tenses. As I was writing, I attempted to speak the word, as I'm more comfortable now with Greek pronunciation.
- I also decided to learn the basic adjective endings, in the nominative and accusative cases, using a similar method. I'm not sure if I should be skipping ahead like this, but the grammar pace of the course is very slow.

Listened to Take Off In Greek (Units 1-5) (~1.5 hours)
- Did a longer listening session, and covered all the numbers, days of the week, and a number of new phrases. When I'd finished listening, while I was walking, I removed my earphones, and the people directly behind me seemed to be speaking Greek. For two seconds, I thought I'd lost it and I was mishearing, but they really were speaking Greek. I'd never heard it spoken here before. Very odd coincidence.

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5951 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 

Message 344 of 383
23 October 2008 at 4:08am | IP Logged 
23/10/10

Morning

Greek

Read FSI Greek Basic Course (Units 3) (~20 minutes)
- Slowly read all of unit 3, which I'd never completed until now. I started wondering whether cramming Greek in a week was such a bright idea, and would it impact my other languages. Then I thought, it's just a week, and it'll make the most of your two weeks away. If I didn't do it, I know I wouldn't study much ,or at all, while there. How do you explain to your partner your studying Russian or Spanish, on holiday, with no language connection to the place ?

- The Greek for "there" is εκεί, which I initially kept hearing as the Spanish for here, "aquí". However, English uses a lot of Greek cognates, which generally makes learning vocabulary easy. E.g.

Friend - φίλος (philos)
Name - όνομα (onoma)
Colour - χρώμα (chroma)
Small - μικρός (micros)
Large - μεγάλο (megalo)
A little - λίγο (ligo)

This discussion contains 383 messages over 48 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version