Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6340 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 137 of 559
24 July 2012 at 9:35am | IP Logged 
I didn't do all of my Finnish reviews yesterday, only about half of them. This is already the second time in a week I didn't finish my reviews on the day I was supposed to and it's a bit worrying, I don't want this to become a habit.

The reason I didn't want to do the Finnish reviews was because I was watching the Korean drama. It's too bad Finns don't have something like that.

I've been reluctant to repeat TTMIK lessons although I know I should. One problem is that it's hard to concentrate just on the audio when I've heard it once already. Another problem is that I keep thinking "I've heard this already so it will be boring to listen to it again, I should rather watch a drama or study from my book." A third problem is that I have so many lessons I have to repeat I don't know where to start. Starting from the beginning seems very daunting. I've listened to some lessons more than others and I don't remember which ones are which. Oh well. I guess going through the PDFs is more important than listening.
1 person has voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6340 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 138 of 559
25 July 2012 at 11:21am | IP Logged 
I finished level 2 of TTMIK yesterday. Yay! The last lesson was super useful, it introduced the 지 마세요 (don't do) construction. It felt a bit familiar - probably because I had heard it in dramas - and sure enough, I heard 가지 마 in an episode I watched later that night.

I also repeated a bunch of level 2 lessons yesterday, I had time for it at work. I'm not sure whether I should proceed right to level 3 or spend some time reviewing level 2. Actually that's not true, I know I should review more but I'm pretty sure I'm going to jump right into level 3 anyway because I can't wait to learn more and more.

The Anki reviews are starting to really weigh me down. There are just so many of them each day! I have 182 cards due today (about 20 of them are leftovers from yesterday). I just don't think I can keep this up long term so I need to cut down on the new words. It will be difficult for me psychologically because I've been reducing the amount of new vocabulary every month and it seems like I am failing but the rational part of my brain knows it's the right thing to do. I think I've been learning 75-80 new words a week, maybe it would be acceptable to do 60 instead (Finnish and Korean together). That's the problem with studying two languages at once. 60 words a week in one language would seem a lot but in two languages it's twice less. It's frustrating. I wish I hadn't started two languages at once but I don't plan to give up either one now. For Finnish, it's more a matter of pride and to prove to myself that I can stick to it and do it. For Korean, I'm just really excited to be learning the language.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6385 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 139 of 559
25 July 2012 at 1:59pm | IP Logged 
And I'm once again suggesting sentence cards, especially for Finnish. Use the texts to get initially familiar with them, and then try to find maybe 10 sentences, each with 2-3 "barely known" words. As interesting as possible.

Also try the reschedule feature :) I usually like new cards more so it's easier to do them and reschedule the older ones as needed. Oh and the AJATT guy gives a lot of advice!!!

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6340 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 140 of 559
25 July 2012 at 3:07pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
And I'm once again suggesting sentence cards, especially for Finnish. Use the texts to get initially familiar with them, and then try to find maybe 10 sentences, each with 2-3 "barely known" words. As interesting as possible.

I considered it but I don't think it's a good choice for me. First, I've seen people tell they can't recognize these words outside the sample sentences and I think that's a valid concern. My main goal is to learn the words well so I don't want to do this.

Second, I'm using Anki to measure how many words I know. If I use sentences then that doesn't work anymore. Third, I'm using active cards in Finnish and producing a whole sentence will be problematic. I considered switching to passive cards but decided against it for now because 1) it's a risk, and 2) as I said, I want to learn the words well.

Fourth, I don't have a source of interesting sentences. I wouldn't want to use either my textbook or LP for that.

Quote:
Also try the reschedule feature :)

I think that's not how Anki is supposed to be used. I need to find an optimum amount of reviews I can do every day without doing any tricks.

Quote:
I usually like new cards more so it's easier to do them and reschedule the older ones as needed.

I hate the new cards, I usually fail them, I know the old ones much better because I've reviewed them lots of times. Actually, this is something I wanted to write about in the previous post but forgot. Up until now, my Anki setting has always been "Show cards from largest interval first" and it meant that the start of my reviews was always pleasant, I usually knew the first words that appeared very well. But as I progressed through my review session it grew more and more difficult. So a couple of days ago I changed the setting to "Show cards in due order" for both the Korean and Finnish decks and I like it much better. I should have done this months ago.

Quote:
Oh and the AJATT guy gives a lot of advice!!!

Timeboxing is definitely a useful technique, thanks for the link. I've been doing the reviews in small chunks for the last week or so and it's definitely better. I'm not always going to have time at work to do this but I'll try to use it when I can.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5437 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 141 of 559
25 July 2012 at 3:26pm | IP Logged 
The problem you're having is the same exact problem I had when I first started using Anki for Korean and Japanese. I'd have to review 800-1000 cards a day after a while and I knew Anki wasn't good for learning, just to reinforce information you already know but don't want to forget. I think you're making the same mistake a lot of beginners make with Anki: using it as it's not intended. Anki's main purpose isn't to learn, but to help you remember stuff.

You might want to try an alternative method to remembering words, and once they start sticking, then put them in Anki. I had trouble when trying to put a lot of brand new Korean words in Anki that I didn't know, but Japanese was even worse since I also tested myself on the reading too.

You'll also need to ask yourself if Anki is right for you. It works for people, but I think it really depends on their personality. If you take it slow and steady, Anki isn't bad, but for someone like me who tries to learn as much as possible in as short of time as possible, Anki becomes a nightmare.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6340 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 142 of 559
25 July 2012 at 3:57pm | IP Logged 
I've read almost all of your log, CZ, so I know the troubles you had with Anki. I'm not a beginner when it comes to language learning and I think I've mostly figured out what works for me, and Anki is one of those things. I'm taking it slow and steady and I see the results. The reading and writing practice for Korean has been especially valuable.

I do know that Anki is not well suited for the initial learning of vocabulary (and this is a big reason why I fail so many cards) but this is where my personality and habits come into play. I know myself and I know I don't have the discipline to do word lists every day or even every three days. Anki has the big advantage that it forces me to learn the words. Without Anki, I would learn maybe 20% of them. I've said it before and I'll say it again that using Anki has been the biggest reason for my progress in these months and I will definitely continue to use it. The problem is that I'm studying two languages at once and the total Anki load is a bit high at the moment. So I'll just work on reducing it.

I don't plan on using Anki forever. Once I get to a couple of thousands of words and start doing lots of native materials, maybe I'll decide that continuous exposure to the language is enough. I would like that method, it's how I learned English. But it will all depend on the amount and type of exposure I will get. If I even get that far...

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5437 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 143 of 559
25 July 2012 at 5:36pm | IP Logged 
Oh, don't get me wrong, Anki helped me too. When I first started learning Korean and Japanese mid 2009, I tried the textbook/exercise method. It worked, but I never had motivation to do it lol. Then I learned of AJATT and tried out Anki since so many people recommended it to me. It helped me get past the beginner stages in Korean and almost got me past that stage in Japanese. I've never studied Japanese consistently, so that's why. Once I got to the lower intermediate stage in Korean, Anki's usefulness started declining for me. I tried overloading on words to boost my vocabulary, but realized later that it was no better or worse than reading a lot and looking up words.

So yeah, I view Anki as something like training wheels. It helps you get to a certain level, but along the way, you gotta ditch them to improve more. Seeing that you're still fairly new to Korean, I'd say keep using it, but I know that frustration all to well when it comes to failing so many new cards lol.
2 persons have voted this message useful

dori
Diglot
Finland
Joined 4312 days ago

5 posts - 6 votes
Speaks: Finnish*, English
Studies: Swedish, Japanese

Message 144 of 559
25 July 2012 at 10:46pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
The reason I didn't want to do the Finnish reviews was because I was watching the Korean drama. It's too
bad Finns don't have something like that.

Probably the closest thing Finland has to k-dramas is the soap opera Salatut Elämät. The "plot" is completely
ridiculous these days, but the early episodes are worth watching if you can find them somewhere. You might also
be interested in checking out these shows:

Pasila
www.youtube.com/watch?v=X60QDdPbCV0&feature=BFa&list=PL391F4 BC9F0C0703D
an animated cop show, link leads to English fansubs

Muumilaakson tarinoita
www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXI0iL51NHs
an anime for kids, no subs but they speak simple(ish) standard Finnish

This discussion contains 559 messages over 70 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version