forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5323 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 105 of 559
29 June 2012 at 4:25pm | IP Logged 
Evita wrote:
Today was actually the first day I stopped in the middle of my Korean reviews just to take a break.

That's not really a bad thing, though. In fact, that's exactly why the "timeboxing" settings exist in Anki. Sometimes, for motivational reasons, it is better to review Anki "for 10 minutes" (or whatever time interval you prefer) rather than simply reviewing "until done". After the allotted time, you do something else, then come back and do "another 10 minutes" after that unrelated task is complete. Personally what I've been doing is interlacing reviewing my various Anki decks with the websites I visit each morning (mostly web comics). Review some in Anki, read a few web comics, review more in Anki,... Most of the time I'll interlace either 1 or 2 decks between each "web surfing" pass, however if a deck's review count grows particularly large, I'm not averse to splitting that review session into 2-3 sessions instead.

For comparison, my review session this morning was "144 cards in 23.96 minutes". However, in the recent past I've seen it be double that (both the card count and the total time count) some days, especially when I've been heavily adding cards the previous week or two. For reference, that review count spans 6 active decks. Two of the decks are alphabet/syllabary type decks, one is a Hanja deck, and three are word/phrase/sentence decks. The deck sizes range from 66 cards (Russian Cyrillic) to 3784 cards (한국어) and in age from 1.4 months (日本語) to 2.3 years (한국어).
1 person has voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6340 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 106 of 559
30 June 2012 at 12:24am | IP Logged 
I know about the timeboxing setting in Anki but I don't use it because I don't want to stop studying based on such settings. And anyway, I can study longer on some days but on other days I would find my concentration slipping more easily so it's best to just take a break when I feel like it.

I have three Anki decks actually, the third one is for Korean phrases. I don't use it much and I want to keep it a 'light' deck that's not mandatory for me to study every day. I add some phrases with particles there and also phrases like "this week" which are not really appropriate for my main deck. I add both active and passive cards, with the active cards being delayed. Currently I have only 26 cards in this deck. I plan to go through the TTMIK PDF's and add many more example sentences to this deck but my limit for new cards a day to be reviewed is set to 3. It's intentionally very low to make sure my focus stays on the other deck.

What I try to do with all my Anki decks is - I try to keep the daily review count as constant as possible. What I mean is that I don't like it if I have 50 cards for several days and then suddenly 80 cards. The biggest reason for such spikes is the addition of many cards in a single day, and that's why I find the "maximum new cards per day" setting so useful. If I find a good vocabulary source I can add even 20 cards in one day to my Finnish or Korean deck but Anki will make sure the cards don't appear all at once.

3784 cards in your Korean deck, Warp, is quite impressive. My deck has only 534 cards and half as many words. I hope I can stick with Korean until my Anki deck grows as big as that. I've been reading your and CZ's logs and they provide ample motivation for me so thanks for that!

I noticed that my Anki reviews take quite a lot more time than yours, and it's no doubt due to the active nature of my cards, especially in Korean where I need to type the Korean word to pass the card. As I go on, I imagine I'll probably drop the typing and then drop the active cards completely but that's still months away, if not more. The typing takes time, yes, but I need the practice for now.

It would be great to do the Anki reviews in the morning but I never do that. One reason is that, despite my best intentions, I often fail to enter new cards in the previous evening so I can't do the reviews in the morning. Another reason (which follows from the first reason) is that I don't want to switch back and forth between morning and evening so evening is the only choice. And finally, I rarely have time in the morning for language studies anyway. When I do, I sometimes listen to a TTMIK lesson.

I almost forgot to write about what I did today. Actually I didn't do anything interesting at all, just the standard Anki stuff and my Finnish textbook (reviewed some grammar) and a TTMIK lesson. 159 cards in 41 minutes today.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5323 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 107 of 559
30 June 2012 at 5:19am | IP Logged 
Evita wrote:
3784 cards in your Korean deck, Warp, is quite impressive. My deck has only 534 cards and half as many words. I hope I can stick with Korean until my Anki deck grows as big as that. I've been reading your and CZ's logs and they provide ample motivation for me so thanks for that!

That 3784 is actually the number of facts as well since I don't have any active cards (only passive). To be honest, it probably should be higher, but it wasn't until recently (specifically the 2012 TAC) that I started really adding to it consistently rather than just a bit here and there.

I'm glad to hear my log has been of use to you. :)

Quote:
I noticed that my Anki reviews take quite a lot more time than yours, and it's no doubt due to the active nature of my cards, especially in Korean where I need to type the Korean word to pass the card. As I go on, I imagine I'll probably drop the typing and then drop the active cards completely but that's still months away, if not more. The typing takes time, yes, but I need the practice for now.

My cards are passive-only which definitely does help. What really drags my overall speed down is Japanese (since my kana reading speed is still very slow) and Hanja (since it can sometimes take a while to recall the reading and meaning for a character). The speed for just my 한국어 deck is actually a bit faster than my overall Anki speed, but that speed has built over time and is partly due to my quick reading speed in Korean now (in fact, in a few months I'll hit the 3 year mark for studying Korean). The stats for just the 한국어 deck for today were 78 cards in 10.4 min (8.00s/card), My slowest deck speed was 日本語 (i.e. Japanese) at 31 cards in 8.0 min (15.48s/card), nearly half the speed of the 한국어 deck (Hanja wasn't too far behind at 14s/card). In fact I'm surprised it isn't even slower than that. My kana reading speed must be picking up faster than I realized.

Edited by Warp3 on 30 June 2012 at 5:20am

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6340 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 108 of 559
02 July 2012 at 10:48am | IP Logged 
In contrast to the previous weekends, I didn't accomplish a lot in the last two days. Honestly, I felt like I needed to take a bit of a break from language studying and relax (plus I had other stuff planned on Saturday). I did the Anki reviews (except the Finnish deck on Sunday) and I finished watching You're Beautiful. The next drama is still undecided.

I pretty much ignored Finnish on Sunday but I studied unit 5 of my Korean textbook again, the same stuff I had already gone over before. This time I added more cards to Anki. I'd like to finish this unit in the next few days.

It's been a while since I've looked at Finnish Linguaphone so I'll do that today for a change.

Oh, there's one thing I've been meaning to ask. How do you say "What should I do?" or "What do I do?" in Korean? They use this phrase so much in dramas but I don't know how to spell it.

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4656 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 109 of 559
02 July 2012 at 12:41pm | IP Logged 
Evita wrote:
Oh, there's one thing I've been meaning to ask. How do you say "What should I do?" or "What do I do?" in Korean? They use this phrase so much in dramas but I don't know how to spell it.

There are a few ways to say that, but if I remember correctly in You're Beautiful they use 어떡하죠 (polite) and 어떡하지 (informal) a lot. The infinitive is 어떡하다.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5323 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 110 of 559
02 July 2012 at 10:35pm | IP Logged 
As druckfehler noted, the base form is 어떡하다, which is actually a contraction of 어떻게 하다. In addition to what druckfehler listed, I've also heard the 어떡해(요) and 어떻게 하지(요) forms used quite a bit.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6385 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 111 of 559
02 July 2012 at 11:42pm | IP Logged 
You've mentioned mutkitteleva rannikko... or these two words separately. Anyway, from ranta/rannikko, the first one is the more general one. -kko can mean various things but basically rannikko is coast or even coastline.
And I've never heard sinuous in English but I've heard mutkitteleva. Um do you know -ella verbs yet? the very basic word here was mutka, a bend/curve. The verb formed from this is mutkitella and that's where the adjective comes from.
Or is it possible for you to remember long words without breaking them down to the bone?

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6340 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 112 of 559
03 July 2012 at 10:22am | IP Logged 
Quote:
There are a few ways to say that, but if I remember correctly in You're Beautiful they use 어떡하죠 (polite) and 어떡하지 (informal) a lot. The infinitive is 어떡하다.

Quote:
As druckfehler noted, the base form is 어떡하다, which is actually a contraction of 어떻게 하다. In addition to what druckfehler listed, I've also heard the 어떡해(요) and 어떻게 하지(요) forms used quite a bit.

Thanks. I know that Korean has lots of verb endings for various situations but seeing it like this - 6 forms with basically the same meaning - wow... It's a bit intimidating and overwhelming but it's also exciting. I look forward to the time when I know what each of them means in detail. (I don't need an explanation now, thanks.)

Quote:
Um do you know -ella verbs yet?

I've definitely seen them (ajatella, suositella, etc.) but I'm not sure if I know their conjugation pattern. I don't pay much attention to it, I just look up verbs on Wiktionary when I need something.

Quote:
Or is it possible for you to remember long words without breaking them down to the bone?

Yes, I do that sometimes. It's more difficult but then it's like I learn three words for the price of one, haha.

----------------

I worked on the Finnish LP yesterday a bit like I had planned although I couldn't use the audio due to technical reasons - which basically made the whole thing pointless. I looked at texts 3, 4, and 5, and the combination of uninteresting vocabulary (about how children are playing) and complicated grammar made me put it aside very quickly. Especially the grammar - they use all cases and verb tenses, even conditionals (or so Wiktionary tells me), and it's just too much. I thought I could use this for L-R, and maybe I will someday, but right now I honestly would rather listen to simple radio. Trying to pick out words I recognize is more fun than LP.

So instead I read a bit from Yle News in Easy Finnish and added some words to Anki (like 'kannatus' and 'arvio'). It's not exactly beginner's vocabulary but it will be useful to me if I plan to listen to the radio and read Finnish news articles on the internet.

This discussion contains 559 messages over 70 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version