Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6340 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 489 of 559
08 August 2013 at 9:24am | IP Logged 
It's been a hot week here and the temperature is supposed to go over 30 degrees again today so I'm just taking it easy and not studying much. I'm keeping up with Anki but that's about it. I'm not even watching any Korean dramas, somehow I just don't feel like it.

The one thing I did do was decide what to do about my German - I will start creating a list of all the German words I know and perhaps import them into Anki later. This will give me a chance to brush up on all the articles and also to inventory my German, so to speak. And more importantly, I think it will put the words back into my active vocabulary again. For example, yesterday I tried but couldn't remember the German word for "cheap" even though I'm positive I knew it 15 and 10 years ago. Now that I looked it up, I'm positive I won't forget it again for years.

I'm not adding any translations to the list (yet), just the plural forms of nouns. I'll see how it goes. If I ever want to make a shared deck out of it I'd have to add the translations as well but those would probably be in Latvian since my dictionary is in Latvian... And I'm not sure it would be worth it, I doubt there are many Latvians who would use Anki to learn German. Anyway, that's a concern for the future. Right now my plan is to add 2000-2500 words during August and another 1000 words in September.
1 person has voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6340 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 490 of 559
11 August 2013 at 11:03pm | IP Logged 
Yesterday I spent about 8 hours (or even more) on my German word list. That was a bit of an overload. Now the list has about 600 words. Today I didn't even want to look at German, and actually I didn't study much at all today. Now that I think about it, it's been a long time since I seriously studied Korean. All summer long, and even before that, I've been mostly reviewing grammar, not studying properly. I'm thinking maybe it's time I stopped working on my sentence deck for a while and focus on a textbook again. I don't know if I want to go back to Elementary Korean, I have several other books in electronic format. I'll think about it.

I did very few Anki reviews yesterday and today. I was in a German mode all day long so I simply couldn't make my brain remember Korean words, I was failing way too much. And today, well, I was just lazy. But since I have no new words, I hope I'll get caught up by Wednesday at the latest.

I have several dramas that I kind of started watching but haven't finished yet - "I hear your voice", "Spy Myung Wol", "The King 2 Hearts". I don't know, I was waiting for them to grab me but they didn't. But today I checked out the first two episodes of Good Doctor and I loved them! It has some familiar faces and a story that sucks you right in. I hope later episodes don't disappoint.

And just to practice, let's see if I can write this in German.

Gestern habe ich 8 Stunden damit verbracht, meine deutsche Wortliste zu erstellen. Es war ein bisschen zu viel. Jetzt ist die Wortliste ungefähr 600 Worte lang. Heute wollte ich nichts mit Deutsch zu tun haben, und eigentlich habe ich heute sehr wenig gelernt.

Es ist schon spät, ich muss ins Bett gehen. Leider kann ich nicht alles übersetzen. Vielleicht schreibe ich etwas auf Deutsch auch ein anderes Mal.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6340 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 491 of 559
14 August 2013 at 10:30am | IP Logged 
Still loving Good Doctor (GD). It's a Monday-Tuesday drama, and this week had episodes 3 and 4. Since Korea is 6 hours ahead of my timezone (7 hours in the winter, I think), the episodes from the current day are already available on the internet when I get home so I can download them and watch them. The only catch - there are no subtitles out yet. I watched about 40 minutes of episode 3 on Monday night, and then on Tuesday morning there were already subtitles available. That's pretty fast. So I watched ep.3 with subtitles again and then half of episode 4 without subtitles. The lead actress in GD is the same one who played Eungi in Nice Guy so I decided to watch a bit of that to compare the characters. I like both of them.

As for my comprehension level when watching without subtitles, it's about what you'd expect. I understand very little when they talk about illnesses or hospital politics but it's a bit better when they're discussing more common matters. Watching an episode first without subtitles and then with them is definitely useful but it's a bit boring if you do it within the space of two days. Maybe I should watch both episodes raw on Monday & Tuesday, and then repeat them later in the week.

As for German, I've added 10 or 20 words to my list but nothing much. I plan to add some 500 more words this weekend.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6340 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 492 of 559
19 August 2013 at 9:55am | IP Logged 
I watched the whole Dating Agency: Cyrano since my last post and I liked it much more than I thought I would. It was only my second cable drama. The first one was Answer Me, 1997 and it was frustrating to try to watch it because I usually download the subtitles separately from the episodes and for cable dramas, the episodes often contain some commercials but the subtitles don't so they go out of synch all the time. It's a pain to try to adjust them manually. Well, this time I didn't download the eps, just watched them on gooddrama.net. As I said, I liked this drama a lot, maybe it would even be in my top 5. But since you probably don't know it anyway, I won't go into plot details. Ah, and the good thing about cable dramas is that their episodes are shorter, just 40 minutes instead of 60, so you can watch the whole thing faster. Or it may be a bad thing, depending on how you look at it, heh.

I've got about 850 words in my German vocabulary list. I'm a bit behind but I'll try to make the 2000 word goal by the end of August. Since I'm on vacation this week, I'll have more time than usual. Then again, I'll be moving to a new place soon and there's no furniture there yet, not even a fridge, so I'll have to spend a lot of time on that. Studying languages will have to take a backseat for now.

I'm already a bit behind on Anki, that always happens when I'm on holiday and my days are not structured. Hopefully it won't get too bad this time.

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4635 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 493 of 559
19 August 2013 at 3:38pm | IP Logged 
Don't worry too much about Anki... get your home situated first!

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6340 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 494 of 559
26 August 2013 at 10:49am | IP Logged 
I think a week is the longest I've gone without updating this log since I started it. It's been a good break, I was doing other things and not much studying. Now that I'm back at work I think I'm ready to also study some more.

Sometimes it feels like this is the log of my failures. I've mentioned many goals and targets here, things I want to do, but I rarely do anything the way I intended, I often give up halfway because the method starts getting boring and something more interesting comes along. I don't like it but I also don't think I should force myself if I don't enjoy something anymore or if I don't think it benefits me enough. After all, making progress is the most important thing, not whether I finish a textbook or a particular activity.

With this in mind, I'm suspending my German vocabulary list project for now. I have almost 1200 words in it and I must have looked at at least twice as many words while looking up the genders in the dictionary, and I feel like I have achieved my original goal of reactivating the basic vocabulary. I'm sure I'll come back to the list though, maybe in a month or two or maybe when I watch German TV and hear some words I want to write down.

As for Korean, I've been watching dramas but I've been neglecting actual studies and my listening comprehension of dramas isn't improving at the rate I had hoped. I already wrote that I intended to go back to textbooks and I decided to stick with Elementary Korean and its sequel. I really want to finish this book this time. It shouldn't be hard, I already know most of the vocabulary and almost all of the grammar constructions from the first book, I just need to read the dialogs and grammar explanations. I'm in the middle of chapter 8 now, I want to finish chapter 10 by the end of this week.

As for Anki, I reviewed only some words during my vacation, maybe 20-30%, so I have a huge backlog. I need to get working on it. I also need to add new words. My current word count is 2360 and it hasn't increased a lot lately. My goal is to have about 3500 words by March so... I should add 6 new words a day in order to reach it. I probably won't succeed but I just need the target to keep me going.

Speaking of dramas, LSS finished yesterday. I haven't watched the last two episodes yet, I'm waiting for subtitles, but I'm glad it's over. I stuck with it even though it was maddening at times and boring at other times. But the interesting news is that a new drama is taking LSS's spot (it's hardly news, I know, but anyway) and of course it's a new family drama that will be 50 episodes long, and I have decided to try watching it without subtitles. It will last for half a year and I hope that by the end of it I'll be able to see a significant improvement in my listening comprehension.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5323 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 495 of 559
26 August 2013 at 12:34pm | IP Logged 
Evita wrote:
Sometimes it feels like this is the log of my failures. I've mentioned many goals and targets here, things I want to do, but I rarely do anything the way I intended, I often give up halfway because the method starts getting boring and something more interesting comes along. I don't like it but I also don't think I should force myself if I don't enjoy something anymore or if I don't think it benefits me enough. After all, making progress is the most important thing, not whether I finish a textbook or a particular activity.

I have the same problem due to my perfectionist streak. Rather than focus on the tons of vocabulary I learned from the 6000 essential vocabulary books, I instead focus on the fact that I never completed them. But you are right, and AJATT has noted this repeatedly on his site: If it was an enjoyable activity but isn't now, then it isn't necessarily a bad thing to go find something else to do instead that is enjoyable to ensure you keep progressing. Granted learning can't be a 100% enjoyable process, but if you bore yourself too much, you're more likely to quit altogether, so you have to keep the interest level up to prevent that.

Edited by Warp3 on 26 August 2013 at 12:42pm

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4656 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 496 of 559
26 August 2013 at 1:08pm | IP Logged 
Evita wrote:
Sometimes it feels like this is the log of my failures. I've mentioned many goals and targets here, things I want to do, but I rarely do anything the way I intended, I often give up halfway because the method starts getting boring and something more interesting comes along.

I feel the same sometimes. Then I remind myself that the important thing is not whether I finish a certain textbook or activity. The important thing is what's inside my head. It really doesn't matter whether I learn new vocabulary through Anki or dramas, it doesn't matter that I didn't finish a textbook that can't teach me anything new anyway. I recommend that you trust your boredom - sometimes that is the most reliable sign that a certain method is no longer teaching you enough new things. Maybe what you call "failures" are exactly what make you a successful language learner.

It's nice to see that we're watching the same dramas. I'm also liking Good Doctor and plan to look at the family drama following Lee Son-Shin, because the lead actress, Lee Yoon-Ji, is so winning.

This discussion contains 559 messages over 70 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version