Germany
Joined 4657 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 305 of 559
18 December 2012 at 12:18pm | IP Logged 
Evita wrote:
The good news is that she's going to Korea in March so I can ask her to buy some books for me. I have no idea what's available in Korean bookstores though so choosing something might prove to be quite difficult.

What kind of books are you looking for? I might be able to give you some pointers. You could have a look on Yes24, a Korean online book store - you'll probably find more or less everything that is available on there and with most books you get a preview of a couple of pages.
1 person has voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6341 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 306 of 559
18 December 2012 at 5:12pm | IP Logged 
I look forward to the day I can browse Korean online stores but I'm not close yet. I opened Yes24 and I literally didn't understand a single word.

That said, your help would be appreciated. I can't read books yet but I hope I can start something easy in half a year or a year. I'd like to start with a book for teens that would have a comparatively simpler vocabulary. (I'll skip the children's books.) I'd prefer if this book was written by a Korean author, and the subject doesn't really matter to me. Preferably something as ordinary as possible.

Another book I'd like to have is the Coffee Prince book. I understand it came out before the drama aired in 2007 so I'm not sure if it would still be in bookstores. I would also like a Harry Potter book, probably the first one would be best. (I've read them all in English.) And finally I'd like one or two books from a bestsellers list (again, preferably something that would be easier to read). They can be originally Korean or translations. I like detectives and romances and other books with happy endings.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6341 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 307 of 559
20 December 2012 at 9:04am | IP Logged 
If anyone has any ideas about the books, feel free to post them here. I still have a couple of months to decide.

I finished unit 13 on SNU and unit 7 of My Korean. I didn't do the writing exercise though.

I haven't listened to a new TTMIK lesson recently and I'm starting to miss them even though I review old lessons every day.

I recently found out that 'to be the same' in Korean is 똑같다. I was so happy when I figured it out. I had heard 경은 from TTMIK say it many times and I knew it meant 'the same' but I thought it was the word 같다 with something in front of it so I didn't think to look for a new verb.

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4657 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 308 of 559
20 December 2012 at 10:44pm | IP Logged 
Personally, I'd recommend starting with children's books, but I know it can be done differently. The Real CZ started reading novels from the start.

I don't know if you can really say that books for teens have a simpler vocabulary. I only have one Korean book for young adults and that is much harder to understand than the novel I'm currently reading. I think it depends more on the author and the subject (do not choose something to do with royals and the Japanese occupation...). Books for teens often haven challenging vocabulary. Manhwa might be a good idea, or those picutre comics they make from dramas.

I suppose the Coffee Prince book should still be available, given its popularity.

I think Bond Girl Mimi's Adventure looks like it might be fun, but I couldn't yet get hold of it. The description reads that she decides to become a spy herself after being ditched by 007. Supposedly it's romance and spy stuff, so it seems like it might fit your taste.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6341 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 309 of 559
22 December 2012 at 9:29am | IP Logged 
Thanks druckfehler. I'll be starting with Iyagi transcripts anyway, I figure they must already be a step up from children's books.

I've kept up with my Korean studies, mostly reviewing lots of TTMIK lessons while riding in the bus or walking somewhere. I also did lesson 5x24 about -지 말고. It was rather easy because it didn't introduce any new grammatical structures, just combined two of them.

So, Christmas is here. 5 days free from work, yay! I should find plenty of time for studying (or watching dramas).

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6386 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 310 of 559
22 December 2012 at 9:56am | IP Logged 
does google translate handle Korean reasonably well? You can just paste the site's url and browse it as if it was in English. Hopefully this way you can find something you want to read:)

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4657 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 311 of 559
22 December 2012 at 12:11pm | IP Logged 
Evita wrote:
I'll be starting with Iyagi transcripts anyway, I figure they must already be a step up from children's books.

Not in my experience. Written and spoken Korean are different, I understood most of the grammar form Iyagi and still had to learn many new concepts when I started children's books. Also, the sentences are shorter and the vocabulary in the Iyagi lessons is more basic. Manhwas may be similar to the level of Iyagi. To avoid misunderstandings, I'm not talking about picture books with a couple of sentences, but about children's books for 6-12 year-olds that have more than 50 pages of text.

Edited by druckfehler on 22 December 2012 at 12:16pm

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5324 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 312 of 559
23 December 2012 at 5:16pm | IP Logged 
Evita wrote:
I recently found out that 'to be the same' in Korean is 똑같다. I was so happy when I figured it out. I had heard 경은 from TTMIK say it many times and I knew it meant 'the same' but I thought it was the word 같다 with something in front of it so I didn't think to look for a new verb.

똑~ seems to be a bit of an "intensifier" prefix based on what it does to words. For example, 같다 = to be similar, alike, the same; 똑같다 = to be exactly the same, exactly alike. 바로/똑바로 seem to behave similarly (where the meaning is mostly similar, but the latter is stronger).

This discussion contains 559 messages over 70 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version