Germany
Joined 4656 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 65 of 559
31 May 2012 at 2:36pm | IP Logged 
Evita wrote:
I started with "The moon that embraces the Sun" and I couldn't keep up with the plot even with English subtitles. Then I tried something else, I don't remember what, but the plot was so ridiculous I couldn't keep watching it. So I abandoned it for the time being but I clearly need to listen to more Korean so I'll have to find something else. Maybe someone can recommend a drama that is of acceptable quality and has a rather generic vocabulary? I think I would like to begin with something simple, it doesn't even have to be very interesting, just somewhat believable.

Generally, Korean dramas aren't exactly renowned for being realistic, but of course there are some that are hardly bearable, full of cancer patients, rich guys, memory loss and birth secrets, and some that are a little more toned down...

For a somewhat believable and adorable drama I recommend "Coffee Prince", which was extremely popular. A more recent one I loved, but which wasn't very popular in Korea, is "Me Too, Flower". You could also try "You're Beautiful", but that's absolutely not realistic - just extremely funny and cute. All of them should be fairly easy to follow. If you still have trouble following the plot, you might want to consider searching for recaps for the drama your watching. Sites like dramabeans write very detailed recaps.

For study purposes I think it makes more sense to watch dramas that aren't 사극 (Sageuk) - historical dramas like "The moon that embraces the Sun".

Have fun! ;)
1 person has voted this message useful

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5437 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 66 of 559
31 May 2012 at 8:32pm | IP Logged 
Sageuks are fine. There isn't much different in terms of vocabulary, and they give
definitions for the out of date/non modern words.

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4656 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 67 of 559
01 June 2012 at 10:52am | IP Logged 
The Real CZ wrote:
Sageuks are fine. There isn't much different in terms of vocabulary, and they give
definitions for the out of date/non modern words.

I agree that once you're used to Korean it's perfectly fine to study with Sageuks. It's just not what I would recommend for a beginner.
Yes, the vocabulary is largely the same, but the grammatical forms and manner of speaking are a little different. You probably don't want to learn to speak like a historical character before you're able to speak like a present-day Korean and understanding "그렇사옵니다, 저하" is not immediately going to help with listening comprehension for TTMIK tests.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6340 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 68 of 559
01 June 2012 at 10:58am | IP Logged 
Historical dramas are more difficult to understand, I discovered that for myself so I'll steer clear from them for now.

Quote:
For a somewhat believable and adorable drama I recommend "Coffee Prince", which was extremely popular. A more recent one I loved, but which wasn't very popular in Korea, is "Me Too, Flower". You could also try "You're Beautiful", but that's absolutely not realistic - just extremely funny and cute. All of them should be fairly easy to follow. If you still have trouble following the plot, you might want to consider searching for recaps for the drama your watching. Sites like dramabeans write very detailed recaps.

I tried "Coffee Prince" yesterday, watched the first bit, 12 minutes. I thought it was pretty much a fail. I had trouble remembering any character's names and I had trouble even recognizing them on screen (because I was focusing so much on reading the subtitles and also because Koreans look similar to each other to me). The plot seemed disjointed and didn't make much sense to me, and I couldn't understand anything they were saying so I didn't think it would improve my Korean.

I was tempted to give up but that would have meant almost giving up on Korean dramas in general and I wasn't ready to do that so I headed over to the Dramabeans site and read the beginning of the recap. It cleared up a lot of stuff for me. After doing my daily Anki reviews, I decided to give it another go and I'm happy to say this time it was a success! Once I knew the general setup of the story it was easier to follow although I still had to pause or rewind some bits to read the English translation properly. I was hooked to the story by the end of the first episode and I kept watching until 2am, and even then I only stopped because I didn't want to be a zomby the next day at work.

I also recognized some Korean words here and there: 아침, 씨간, 돈, 있어요, 얼마예요, and hi and bye of course. (I may have misspelled something, I'm writing from memory.) These are all words that I know well from the TTMIK lessons so obviously I can't use the drama to pick up new vocabulary at the moment. But that's okay, I'll keep watching for the entertainment.

All this Korean talk doesn't mean that I've neglected my Finnish. My word count now is up to 500 and climbing all the time. My minimum goal for this year was 1000 words and that seems easily achievable. My preferred goal was 1500 words and that will be slightly more difficult but not impossible.

I kept to my resolution of adding new words from Finnish newspapers. Newspapers are still difficult for me to read so I just pick out some random words from headlines. I added words like "spying", "victim", "to wound". I'm guessing they are not in my textbook, LOL.

I've realized that my plan to add the next day's words to Anki on the previous day just isn't going to work. I can't discipline myself that much. So I need to study first and do the reviews later. Yesterday I did them around midnight. I know I make it harder for myself by doing them when I'm tired but that's bound to happen on some days.

Quote:
News :
MBC뉴스
KBS뉴스

Fairy tales:
쥬니어네이버 동화여행

Thanks, I'll keep the links for later, at the moment I'm not ready yet to handle sites all in Korean.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5323 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 69 of 559
01 June 2012 at 3:39pm | IP Logged 
Evita wrote:
I also recognized some Korean words here and there: 아침, 씨간, 돈, 있어요, 얼마예요, and hi and bye of course. (I may have misspelled something, I'm writing from memory.)

씨간 > 시간
The rest are correct as is.

My favorite drama out of the ones I've watched is still 내 여자친구는 구미호 (My Girlfriend Is A Nine-Tailed Fox). It has plenty of comedy to keep it interesting and WITHS2 offers softsubs for it. Recently I've been watching Coffee House (which I've seen CZ recommend in his language log previously) and it has been very entertaining thus far as well.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6340 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 70 of 559
03 June 2012 at 9:37am | IP Logged 
I spent half of Saturday watching Coffee Prince. Talk about Korean overload! I will have to be careful about dramas in the future, they are too addicting.

It was fun watching, I'm already more than halfway through it. And I was wrong about not picking up any new vocabulary - after hearing it about 50 times, I've memorized 미안해요 (I had to look up the spelling though). What has surprised me the most is how much they all shout and yell at each other and how often they hit each other.

I haven't read any more recaps (I'm too curious for what happens next so I don't have time for that) but I think I will do that later, after I finish watching everything. And then, some months later, I will watch everything again and see how my Korean has improved. I'm sure many things get "lost in translation" and I would love to be able to watch Korean dramas without subtitles. It's my main goal for Korean, I think. No doubt it will take me years but it will be a fun journey.

Usually I don't have much trouble switching between Korean and Finnish but yesterday it was difficult to do the Finnish Anki reviews after spending all day in Korean mode. I suspect today will be the same.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6340 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 71 of 559
04 June 2012 at 10:15am | IP Logged 
I should have started watching a Korean drama earlier, it's helping me more than I thought it would. It's also increased my motivation to learn Korean. Last week I said Finnish would be my priority - well, so much for that, haha. No, seriously, I expect my priorities will shift a lot depending on what new material I encounter in each language. I have no outside factors that put pressure on me to learn one of the languages so I can study them whenever I feel like it.

I studied the first chapter of "My Korean" again on Sunday. The first time I studied it was several weeks ago and I was having lots or trouble with the dialogs because my reading speed in Korean was very slow. This time it went much better, I can read at least three times as fast now. It's not a good reading speed yet but I'm getting closer.

The first chapter also contains information about how to address people in Korea. I sort of glossed over it the first time I read it because I thought I would mix up all the names and titles. Now that I've heard many of them in "Coffee Prince" I read it again and it made much more sense. I plan on using this book more now that my reading has gotten better.

I also plan to read and listen to (again and again) the TTMIK test dialog that I failed so miserably. I know it will be good for me to go through it thoroughly but I'm still mad about it so I will do that later.

I haven't spent much time on Finnish the last few days, I'm just slowly entering vocabulary from lesson 7 into Anki and getting used to the Partitive case. This lesson has many exercises about numbers and telling the time and I should do them before I move on but I haven't found the required focus yet.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6340 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 72 of 559
04 June 2012 at 11:59pm | IP Logged 
I finished watching Coffee Prince tonight. I cried when they were all saying goodbyes when she was leaving for Italy. It was so moving and sweet and funny and emotional, the whole experience was great. I had no idea what I was missing out on by not watching Korean dramas. That alone makes me very happy that I picked up Korean.

It's after midnight and I haven't done my Anki reviews yet. But I guess this counts as a special circumstance, finishing my first drama, so I don't feel guilty about putting the drama first. Still, I'm going to do the reviews right after I finish this post, I just had to get this off my chest. This drama really impressed me on all levels. I don't think I'm going to be starting another one soon, I need to let this one settle down a bit. And then rewatch. I heard the drama was based on a book so maybe I'll try to get my hands on it too. Wait, I don't know what I'm thinking, of course I can't read books in Korean yet, it's just crazy thoughts in my head. Maybe someday.

This is not really a language post. Sorry.

This discussion contains 559 messages over 70 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version