Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6340 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 401 of 559
22 March 2013 at 9:50am | IP Logged 
I've been doing the same stuff as always. Anki is going great, it takes less time and effort than before when I was doing the Finnish reviews as well.

I'm up to lesson 7x08 on TTMIK. I also decided to go through every lesson again starting from 4x01. I'm up to 4x11 already.

Yesterday I added the word 대체 to Anki (I found it in the Secret Garden script). I also added 시설 (found it in a word list). I like to mix everything together from different sources.
1 person has voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5323 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 402 of 559
24 March 2013 at 3:42am | IP Logged 
Evita wrote:
Yesterday I added the word 대체 to Anki (I found it in the Secret Garden script).

Assuming you mean 대체 as in "대체 왜" (I didn't even know 대체 had a homonym until I just now looked to confirm whether it did, but apparently it can also mean "substitute"), then "도대체 왜" means the same thing as "대체 왜" and both are used quite often in music lyrics.

Edited by Warp3 on 24 March 2013 at 3:43am

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6340 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 403 of 559
25 March 2013 at 10:10am | IP Logged 
I usually check my paper dictionary and/or Naver for all the meanings of the word before I enter it into Anki so I found out the 'substitute' meaning as well. I try to enter all the homonyms as possible translations because the Korean side of the note has to be unique. But if there are more than three homonyms then I enter only three of them because otherwise it is too much.

I don't have much to report on for Korean except that I finished unit 15 on SNU. My weekend was busier than usual and I also spent some time on Finnish so Korean got less time than on previous weekends. I didn't add any new sentences to Anki, just kept up with my regular reviews. I've also been trying to find a new drama to watch. I've been studying hard so I want to reward myself. Answer Me 1997 is meh, I'll probably keep watching it but it's nothing special. So yesterday I was reading Dramabeans and saw someone mention Shining Inheritance and I decided to check it out. Even though I'm only in the second episode I think this has the potential of becoming a very good drama. An unexpected bonus is the second female lead who played the main lead in Nice Guy. I thought she looked a bit familiar but I couldn't place her until I heard her voice.

Oh, I also downloaded the 29th TOPIK exam and tried to do the grammar/vocabulary section. I didn't finish it but I'm pretty sure I got the first 12 questions correct. I suppose it gets more difficult towards the end; I may check it out some other time.

As for Finnish, I've gotten back my desire to work on grammar and I'm very happy about it. I haven't touched my Russian textbook though, instead I've started working on a different book I found on the internet, Suomea Suomeksi. It has 27 lessons in total and I'm currently in the 6th. I want to stick with this book for as long as possible, I think it has very good grammar explanations even if they all are in Finnish.

I also read parts of some articles on the internet. My hands were itching to enter all the new vocabulary into Anki and I had to remind myself I'm not using Anki for Finnish anymore. It would definitely be useful, I just don't have time to do the reviews.

One more thing: can anyone please tell me what 'ästeeteen uutiset' means? They're saying this (or something similar) on radio Sun very often but I can't find the first word in any dictionary. And I'm very curious about it.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6385 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 404 of 559
25 March 2013 at 11:43am | IP Logged 
Hm I don't know what it means, but that's how you pronounce the abbreviation STT.

Marikki
Tetraglot
Finland
Joined 5283 days ago

130 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Spanish, Swedish
Studies: German

Message 405 of 559
26 March 2013 at 10:44am | IP Logged 
STT stands for 'Suomen tietotoimisto', the news bureau.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6340 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 406 of 559
27 March 2013 at 10:06am | IP Logged 
Thanks, good to finally have that mystery figured out.

The Finnish radio is good for practicing numbers. When they tell the time of some program I try to translate the numbers in my head and figure out what they mean. It's not as easy as you would think. I've also noticed some numbers in the radio ads, for example "yli kolmekymmentä vuottaa" which means, I assume, that some company has been providing excellent service for more than 30 years already. The first time I caught this I was really excited, it felt like my studying had started to pay off.

I've also found a Korean radio station I sometimes listen to on the way to work. It's Cheongju AM. The music seems quite old but they talk a lot and it's not about news so it's easier to understand. Not that I understand a lot but still. On the downside, sometimes the connection is so bad I get tired of all the pauses and put on something else.

As for actual studying, I've barely had time to keep up with Anki. I did listen to Iyagi 98 and 99 this morning and I didn't understand much so I may read the transcripts later if I'm not too tired.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6340 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 407 of 559
01 April 2013 at 8:35am | IP Logged 
I've studied very little during the last days, I've even let Anki slide because I was watching Shining Inheritance. Even though the plot was a bit ridiculous at times, especially in the beginning when very unlikely things or coincidences happened just so, I enjoyed it a lot. It's the first family drama I've finished watching. It created a great immersion environment for me with Korean and I miss it now but I can't keep watching dramas all the time, I've got to get back to studying.

Speaking of studying, I decided to drop my active Korean Anki deck as well. It has served its purpose and I don't want to spend so much time learning every word two times anymore so from now on I'll be studying only one deck regularly. It should take me no more than 30 minutes every day.

I was so busy with the drama watching that I forgot to do the March team challenge so I'll work on it today.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6340 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 408 of 559
02 April 2013 at 11:08pm | IP Logged 
The GLOSS challenge didn't go so well, I wrote about it in the team thread. I doubt I'll be trying other GLOSS lessons anytime soon.

I've been working 열심히 (diligently) today on my Anki backlog. Not that I've spent as much time as I can on it, it's more that I've tried to find many 3-minute bits throughout the day to do the reviews. I find that my retention rate is higher if I study during the day as opposed to at night (which is not surprising). The challenge is to find the free time and motivation.

By the way, I decided to add one more learning step to my cards to make up for the fact that I won't be learning them from two decks anymore. So now my learning steps look like this: 5 30 80 210. For relearning cards, it's 10 45 195.

Shining Inheritance was a good bit of fluff, it didn't leave a lasting impression on me but it did remind me how much I loved 문채원 in Nice Guy so I've been rewatching parts of NG. It's as good as I remember. I've turned the internet (even the Korean one to the best of my ability) upside down looking for its script but I can't find it. On the other hand, I did find this awesome link - Scripts of most SBS dramas. You just pick a drama and then on the right side there is a tab called 자막보기, that's where the script is. I've been going through some of the dramas I have either seen or plan to watch, and copying the texts onto my computer because you never know how long they will stay available online. I'm pretty sure I'll never read them all but I like to know they are there for me anytime I want.

Oh yes, I also did TTMIK lesson 7x11 about "making things happen". I had already kind of noticed this form but I thought it was the passive so it didn't make a lot of sense. Now I get it.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 559 messages over 70 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version