Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4954 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 73 of 758
24 February 2012 at 8:19pm | IP Logged 
One question: one a word ending in -si like Tbilisi goes into the dative case, it will then end in -ss. Do those two -ss actually sound double, as a double consonant? Or do they just sound like one -s being thus written as -ss for the sake of grammar?
1 person has voted this message useful

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5252 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, German, Russian
Studies: Georgian

Message 74 of 758
24 February 2012 at 10:59pm | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
I really miss a textbook like Kiziria's with a couple more lessons. I feel I was more
motivated when I learned actual conversational sentences as I learned the grammar as well. I don't know
what to do, maybe I should retake Hewitt's from where I stopped (lesson 4)? I would like to hear the advice
from you guys experienced learners.

Yeah, sadly things go dramatically downhill for us Georgian learners after Kiziria. I managed to work my way
through pretty much the whole of Aronson, but it's a hard slog with those pages and pages of vocabulary and
ridiculous sentences for translation.

Kiziria and Aronson wrote a book together called Georgian Language and Culture: A Continuing Course. At
the front of the book are over 100 pages of dialogues written by Kiziria, and they are truly fantastic - highly
realistic and even quite entertaining! Sadly, though, there aren't any exercises to go with the dialogues, and
they start at a level assuming you have already completed Aronson's first course, so they may be a bit
difficult for you. If you could work out some system of using them side by side with Aronson's book they
may be quite useful though.

As I mentioned before, Lehrbuch der Georgischen Sprache was helpful to me for bridging the gap between
beginner and intermediate, so it may be time to brush up your German!

Edited by TixhiiDon on 24 February 2012 at 11:20pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5046 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew, Russian, Arabic (Written), Romanian, Icelandic, Georgian

Message 75 of 758
25 February 2012 at 12:00am | IP Logged 
I agree. I finished Kiziria and I'm kind of at a loss for what to do... Aronson is the only other thing I really have,
but it's exhausting. I feel like I should start reading books. Maybe some easy ones for little kids or something.
I just don't know where to get them...

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5252 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, German, Russian
Studies: Georgian

Message 76 of 758
25 February 2012 at 12:16am | IP Logged 
You can buy some children's books and magazines in Georgian from a site called fromrussia.com Just type
"Georgian" into the search bar. I've used the site twice already and the service is efficient and reliable.

4 persons have voted this message useful

Murdoc
Triglot
Georgia
Joined 5042 days ago

113 posts - 208 votes 
Speaks: Georgian*, English, Russian

Message 77 of 758
25 February 2012 at 1:03am | IP Logged 
Quote:
One question: one a word ending in -si like Tbilisi goes into the dative case, it will then end in -ss. Do those two -ss actually sound double, as a double consonant? Or do they just sound like one -s being thus written as -ss for the sake of grammar?

It doesn't exactly sound like double consonant, but "s" sound is usually bit stretched. I hope it makes sense.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4954 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 78 of 758
25 February 2012 at 3:22pm | IP Logged 
I'm making my way through Aronson's book. I know I'm going to spend a few days translating, like, 15 sentences a day, but I've retained a lot from the first half of exercises in Lesson 02. Then when I move to lesson 03 I'll have learned new grammatical features and that's always motivating for me. Still the lack of dialogues, though.

I have the Newspaper Reader but it is about reading too. I may reserve it for when I have finished book2 (which will take some months by doing a lesson a day though).

The Continuing Course is still a bit advanced for me, even though I may give it a try in spare times, not during my daily schedule.

Lehrbuch der Georgische Sprachen is really good, I've had a look at its Google preview. I just don't have means to buy it from here or it would turn out too expensive and not worth a money that I could use for more important books. A friend promised to share it, let's wait and see. Maybe there I won't be needing a textbook and will use it only for previewing.

I'm going to do one more lesson from Aronson, and if I feel there's too much information, I will move on to Hewitt. Now at least I can try to figure out the dialogues by typing the words faster at online translators. I think there's a lot on my way and I don't think any of the options showed here will be a waste of time! I just need to keep Georgian going.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4954 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 79 of 758
25 February 2012 at 3:23pm | IP Logged 
Murdoc wrote:
Quote:

It doesn't exactly sound like double consonant, but "s" sound is usually bit stretched. I hope it makes sense.

Yeah I get it Murdoc. More or less like I imagined. I knew that Georgians would keep the coherence in their spelling and wouldn't leave a consonant unpronounced.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4954 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 80 of 758
27 February 2012 at 8:39pm | IP Logged 
Today's book2 was more straightforward, since it dealt mostly with pointing directions. This construction, though, surprised me somehow:

როგორ მივიდე სადგურამდე? How do I get to the station?
Which tense is მივიდე and what does the end -ამდე stand for? Is it ergative plus another postposition?

I've finished the 50 translation exercises for Aronson's lesson 02. It just got more repetitive:

როცა ვანო და თამარი რუსულ ენას სწავლობდნენ, რუსულ ლექსს ხშირად თარგმნიდნენ ხოლმე.
When Vano and Tamar were studying the Russian language, they would often translate a Russian poem.

I don't get why I should add both ხშირად and ხოლმე. Don't they both mean 'often'?

I still don't get how the verbal noun is formed either, but seems to be no big deal.

This discussion contains 758 messages over 95 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version