Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
758 messages over 95 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 75 ... 94 95 Next >>
zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5046 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew, Russian, Arabic (Written), Romanian, Icelandic, Georgian

Message 593 of 758
18 February 2013 at 7:03pm | IP Logged 
So what about your dream? ;P
1 person has voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4954 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 594 of 758
18 February 2013 at 7:37pm | IP Logged 
A Language Dream

Last night I had a sort of a language dream, that is, a dream involved with language-learning or with speaking foreign languages. Dreaming in a foreign language is not uncommon among language enthousiasts, the so-called "language freaks", but this one seemed quite authentic and realistic.

At this dream I was sitting on a counter with my sister, in front of a commercial bulding. It was Saturday, early in the morning. I would have an appointment at the eye doctor that day and I would also visit a language school. It turned out that my appointment had been cancelled, so she and I decided to wander a bit downtown then return.

When I came back to the building, I entered the building and went to the language school, located at the second (actually middle) floor. The receptionist greeted me and I told her I was looking for some language courses or materials:

'I'm aware you're into less commercial languages such as Georgian, Aramaic, Papiamentu and Estonian, and I'm afraid I won't have much to offer you, right?'

'Yep. I can see nothing new on the shelves, anyway. Besides, what you have is quite expensive' (at that time I took a glance at some packs of what looked like those famous language courses with tapes. One of them seemed to cost around 1,500US$).

I turned around and stepped into what seemed to be an inner courtyard with a balcony to the left, from which I could see the central span of that building. A group of students and their teacher were sitting around a large bench that surrounded the courtyard. The teacher started talking to me in English about my progress, learning strategies and so on. He was speaking so fast that I could barely understand anything. I knew that he was Brazilian and he was trying to speak fast, unintelligible on purpose, just to confuse me. As he realized I wasn't replying very enthousiastically, he switched to Portuguese, and he advised me to try out the courses for more commonly learned languages, as they could also help me at that stage.

I went back to the school and asked the receptionist what she could offer me. She reminded me that I had already done a few placement tests. My English should be about C1, but she was unsure as for which class should I take.

'I don't think I will take any presence English courses anytime soon', I replied.
'Then you should check our French courses. Here are the results of the placement tests'.

I looked at the results sheet and I saw that most of the people were assigned to one of two textbooks, I can't recall their names.

'You see, those people will get either our upper-beginner or intermediary textbooks and classes. You, on the other hand, were assigned to a more advanced French book, the Cambriopolitain. I'm afraid I can't give you a prediction of how long it will take till a class with a minimal number of students is formed'.

I turned back, not surprised or disappointed with the standard response a self-learner gets after a placement test. What kept boggling my mind was the name of that textbook: "Cambriopolitain". What on Earth would such textbook be about? The French language as spoken in the bigger cities of France during the Cambrian geological period? Now that is what one would call an archizing language course.

I woke up. I made sure to google for "Cambriopolitain", "Cambropolitain", "Cambrolitain" and alternate forms. No results until now.
2 persons have voted this message useful

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5046 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew, Russian, Arabic (Written), Romanian, Icelandic, Georgian

Message 595 of 758
18 February 2013 at 8:47pm | IP Logged 
Awesome, now write it in Georgian.

Just kidding! That's a cool dream, I love when I make up fake things in dreams and then google them to
check if they're real. ;P

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4954 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 596 of 758
18 February 2013 at 10:42pm | IP Logged 
A Georgian just told me about this movie, about a Brazilian who moves to Georgia, when I told him I was Brazilian:

Film

Unfortunately no subtitles, but I might give it a try as well as others =D
3 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4954 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 597 of 758
19 February 2013 at 6:36pm | IP Logged 
I'm getting used to chatting in Georgian regularly. It only gets better! Today I used Skype at the desktop and so I could use and read Georgian characters. It's much easier to look words up. I'm starting to notice that maybe Google Translator is getting better, which is good news.

Still a long way to go with ACC. 73 pages left at the grammar. As for Tschenkéli's book, I'm finally gonna have an explanation on the different usage of Present Subjunctive and Future Subjunctive. I read the sections on the formation of condiational and subjunctives and left this explanation for tomorrow, because I'm hngry and the mind won't work as sharp. I'm sure I'm going to learn a lot about subordinate clauses just from the sample sentences!

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4954 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 598 of 758
20 February 2013 at 6:13pm | IP Logged 
I've come across a tough explanation about the Conditional. Apparently Tschenkéli says the conditional can be used like the imperfect for activities that got completed often in the past, with the adjective ხოლმე:

გაკვეთილის დროს მასწავლებელი დაწერდა ხოლმე გერმანულ წინადადებას დაფაზე და ჩვენ გადავთარგმნიდით ხოლმე მას ქართულად.
During tbhe lesson the teacher would (often) write German sentences on the blackboard and we would (often) translate them into Georgian.

It seems to me that the conditional is used instead of the imperfective because each of these activities (writing the sentences; translating) gets completed. So, you have to use the conditional instead of the imperfective and you add ხოლმე to confirm it's a repetitive activity and not a supposition. Is it right?

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4954 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 599 of 758
20 February 2013 at 6:50pm | IP Logged 
When it comes to an unreal situation/a wish, once again I should bear in mind that Georgian actually uses the present subjunctive where Portuguese would use the imperfect subjunctive:

ნეტავ ის მალე გაგზავნიდეს წერილს ლონდონში.
If (only) he would send/sent the letter soon to London.
(Ah se/Quem dera) ele mandasse logo a carta para Londres.

Actually they're both essentially imperfective tenses, so it makes sense after all.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4954 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 600 of 758
20 February 2013 at 7:15pm | IP Logged 
I couldn't wait to read about Present X Future subjunctive. Thanks to German which is getting easier to understand.

Present Subjunctive:
კარგი იქნებოდა, ის რომ ჩქარა წერდეს.
It would be good if wrote quickly (that is, usually).

Future Subjunctive:
კარგი იქნებოდა, ის რომ დაწერდეს ამ წერილს.
It would be good if wrote/finished writing that letter. (that is, it's one single event and the emphasis is on its completion).

This discussion contains 758 messages over 95 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version