Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Tarvos - TAC 2015 Pushkin/Scan

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
1511 messages over 189 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 162 ... 188 189 Next >>
tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4457 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 1289 of 1511
27 November 2014 at 8:25pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
I think you are just amazing. You started way after me, and you
are way ahead of me.

I would give my right arm to be where you are :-)

Keep the arm. You'll be able to use it for writing more Russian :D

I use Russian daily, Cristina, at least in writing. A day doesn't go by that I don't
learn new words.
1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4457 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 1290 of 1511
01 December 2014 at 1:53pm | IP Logged 
Little baby steps each day. The waiting has not yet faded. But with every waking hour the
flame flickers and I have to keep pouring oil. Just to stay alive. Just to keep the flame
alive. Somewhere they've got a reserve that I just don't know about. But we'll get there
step by step day by day even if I can't climb the mountain I should push myself to climb
hills.

There's so many many thoughts when I try to go to sleep. The next line of this song
should be true: "But with you I start to feel a sort of temporary peace" but I will have
to wait.

Edited by tarvos on 01 December 2014 at 1:54pm

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4457 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 

Message 1291 of 1511
04 December 2014 at 9:38pm | IP Logged 
Poetry in Russian

люблю жену в начале мая
и в августе и в декабре
в другие дни не успеваю
я дальних рейсов капитан

One of my favourite recent discoveries is the VK group Я рифмую как кретин
(roundabout: "I rhyme like an idiot") where all rules of general poetry are discarded
in favour of short, four-line poems which do not necessarily rhyme or have proper
metre or sometimes hardly make any kind of sense at all. Some are just short
observations on daily life and relationships, but sometimes they have hidden gems,
like this one.

Points to the non-Russian who can identify the clever reference in the poem.

Being at an advanced level has the implication that it is easier to get these little
jokes. :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
last.fm/user/viadivaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3984 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German, Italian, French, Swedish, Esperanto, Czech, Greek

Message 1292 of 1511
05 December 2014 at 3:22am | IP Logged 
I tend to think VK itself is a gem for anyone learning Russian. Which begs the question: where
are these gems for English, German, etc? Facebook? I haven't find anything worthy so far...

P.S. Люблю грозу в начале мая
А сессию в конце - не очень :D

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4457 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 

Message 1293 of 1511
06 December 2014 at 11:59pm | IP Logged 
The problem is that Facebook is used by everyone, not just American or Brits...

Deception

More stuff in French. Expect more Greek soon.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4457 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 

Message 1294 of 1511
07 December 2014 at 9:07pm | IP Logged 
Η κλιματική αλλαγή

In Greek I am producing short texts on several topics, mostly stuff I don't write about a
lot. The last one was about polar bears, I jumped from that topic to their most prominent
threat on this planet - climate change. It's more a short description of what climate
change is than that it really represents some reasoned defense of a position or whatever.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4457 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 

Message 1295 of 1511
12 December 2014 at 11:09am | IP Logged 
Η πυροτεχνική

This short text concerns the heinous tradition that people are free to set off fireworks
themselves during New Year's Eve, always leading to riots, injuries, maiming and other
general unpleasantness during this night. The government has recently taken a bunch of
measures against it (preventing people from setting off fireworks during the day,
firework-free zones in big cities), but the general impression of the Netherlands on
January 1st remains "war zone". It is a day I hate and fear and I am scared to go outside
this day.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4457 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 

Message 1296 of 1511
14 December 2014 at 1:42am | IP Logged 
Recent activity

Most of my time has been spent on Chinese lately (the visa is coming in, so 2015 will
see a very strong focus on Mandarin). I will go to Greece for a month in september, so
Greek will also be a focus next year, but I've been writing some small texts as can be
seen on my blog. I've also been perusing a lot of podcasts/transcripts on Echo Moskvy
to train my Russian listening, mostly on politics and so on.

I've also finished reading a French novel and a Russian one in the past month. But
because it's nearly that time of the year, and I will have to assess it sometime, and
think about my goals for 2015, this post will give you a rundown of my language skills
(in no order at all):

Dutch/English

They're always there.

Korean

I was supposed to focus on it this year, but it ended up not playing any significant
role in my life at all. Other languages did. I can still read the alphabet and simple
sentences, but I will have to revive it to speak it properly one day. I hope that I
will get a chance to visit South Korea after I have been to China (it may happen in
July) and maybe then I will be able to get back some of my (already shabby) knowledge.
The theory is there though, I have spoken sufficient Korean to understand certain
concepts. It is mostly vocabulary that I have lost.

Current level: high A1
Goal for next year: bring Korean up to a solid A2 for tourist use in Korea.

Latin

Has stayed dead, but if I attempt to read Wikipedia in it then it isn't too bad.
Active skills are practically nonexistent though. No plans for revival, but I may
indulge in reading Wikipedia here and there.

Current level: ????

Romanian

This language is one I've taken big steps in this year, mostly because I've been using
it actively in Romania. My clarity and grammar leave something to be desired, and I'm
getting a bit rusty in actual production when it comes to Romanian, but my
understanding is super-high. Give me a few days of full-on Romanian, and I will be
really good really fast. Now I'm just pretty decent. But I've learned a lot about the
culture as well and it's a language I am quite comfortable in. One I would say I
master quite well.

Current level: high B2
Goal: maintain at a high B2 level

French

I practiced it more in the first half of this year, after that I have not kept up so
much. That's being felt, but it's all right. I have such good thorough knowledge of
this language that it doesn't really matter at all. I'm fine with my French as it is.
However I would like to be more all-round and capable in my production levels, and I
will have to do maintenance somewhere in 2015 on it. The question is: when?

Current level: ~C1
Goal: turn it into a solid C1 on all accounts.

Russian

I've taken gigantic steps forward in Russian this year. I can now read novels
enjoyably. It's the language I use the most outside my native languages and the
culture I probably have the most contact with. All the time spent working on
pronunciation has paid off as well, because I've managed to reduce my accent somewhat.
I am really proud of my achievements in Russian this year.

Current level: B2-C1
Goal: Become an all-around C1 speaker.

German

Whatever. I can read it and use it, I'm just not very accurate and there is some
interference with Dutch at play. But it's also not a language I've much trouble with,
and it's never really posed any issues because it's not one of my most used languages.

Current level: B2
Goal: maintain B2

Mandarin

The new kid on the block and the most important kid on the block right now, Mandarin
is the big question mark for 2015 because it's the one I will need. A six month
sojourn in China awaits me and my current A2-ish level is not going to cut the mustard
- however, the first month is going to be spent on an intensive Chinese course in
Beijing and I still have almost two months to prepare. My current project is Hanzi and
more complex grammatical structures - I've got the basics down. My goal after the
trip? To see Mandarin in that speaks column on the right. And yes, that's not a pipe
dream. I have half a year and a pretty thorough idea of what I'm doing already. The
real question is whether my reading will keep up.

Current level: A2 (less in writing)
Goal: B2 (less in writing)

Greek

A 3 month intensive project or so has given me good confidence in my Greek. I've got
the basics down here as well and because it's not as big a priority in 2015, but
because travelling will be done in Crete, I will need to maintain my Greek at a decent
level. I've been returning to it for this reason because I really need a decent level
when I arrive in Crete.

Current level: A2
Goal: B1

Breton:

I've lost pretty much all of it actively, but I can figure out some written Breton.
That's ok. Breton is a care that I will worry about later. I had an idea to do a
summer course, but it will not be in 2015. It'll be at some other point when I can
give it my undivided attention. This is one of the casualties.

Current level: A1
Goal: whatever

Hebrew

Another casualty for 2015, I fear. I really use this language too little. If I have
to, I can, but I can't read enough Hebrew for it to be really fun to use. And I just
can't see where I'm going to be able to fit it in, but if I can, then I will of
course. And of course that will end up in me studying Hebrew for 6 months at some
point.

Current level: A2-B1
Goal: don't drop below A2

Swedish

Another easy one to maintain and use, I'm confident in my Swedish.

Current level: B2-C1
goal: maintenance

Icelandic

Sorry, another year will have to do.

Spanish

There's a possibility I will go to Spain (or Italy) after Greece if that is where I
find a job as an English teacher. If this is the case, then Spanish is the one I'll
tackle (if not, it's Italian or whatever other alternative I find). However Spanish is
the language I am best at if the program options I have in Greece are to be followed.
But it could easily be another focus for the end of 2015 and that's something I will
figure out later. Spanish is the prime candidate though.

Goal: depends

Portuguese

Another nice A2 and here there are no concrete plans except for maintenance.

Goal: A2

Norwegian

I don't even know how to classify my level of Norwegian. I can read everything in
Bokmal and most of Nynorsk, but understanding spoken Norwegian is another ballgame
(there it drops down a fair amount). I produce something svorsk which is a bit closer
to Norwegian than you expect (because I know enough to Norwegianise it). As long as
people speak clearly and don't mumble I'm okay, basically.

Current level: A2 oral, comparable to Swedish in writing
Goal: improve oral skills and learn to deal with Nynorsk dialects

Esperanto/Serbian

I tried. I failed. But there will be another try at some point.

Danish/Afrikaans

I can read everything in Afrikaans and most of Danish, although I understand little
Danish and a fair chunk of Afrikaans.

I hope I haven't missed any languages, but I don't think I have.

5 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 1511 messages over 189 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version