Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Tarvos - TAC 2015 Pushkin/Scan

 Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
1511 messages over 189 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 139 ... 188 189 Next >>
tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
Senior Member
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 2816 days ago

5310 posts - 9398 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

 
 Message 1105 of 1511
02 February 2014 at 4:44pm | IP Logged 
This weekend got off to a lazy start for languages. I have managed to finish the
passive wave of Hebrew with Ease but am now forced to complete the active wave. Somehow
my mood is in one of its downswings (those are really unpleasant) so I think I've used
up my energy today (I just spent it composing a German/Korean letter to a penpal, with
whom I plan to exchange Korean for Dutch/English/German/whatever else I can offer that
she is interested in), but it's fun having to translate Korean into German for a
change. Doing this also allows me to avoid the English trap. German isn't a language I
speak perfectly either (but it is quite a lot better than my Korean, and my spoken
German is okay) so it should be fun.

The rest of the weekend was spent on a birthday party and guitar practice (trying to
learn Alice Cooper songs is fun, but takes time...). I am also noticing that my
teaching requests are flying through the roof the coming weeks, and I will be very busy
taking and teaching classes, so I will have to find all the free hours to study
languages on my own. (Fortunately active wave lessons require almost zero time, and I
will have some time to study and write Korean here and there).

But all of that, and contending with the job hunt, means I am taxing myself quite hard,
and I have to really take my energy recovery moments, or else I will feel "wrong".
Fortunately for me, music is still a saviour of mine, so that is what I use to cope.
1 person has voted this message useful



tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
Senior Member
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 2816 days ago

5310 posts - 9398 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

 
 Message 1106 of 1511
04 February 2014 at 1:13am | IP Logged 
Today I tried to textchat in Korean. I hope people will have patience with me because I
speak like a turtle so slow. It just takes me forever to decode and encode Korean at this
point, but I remember when I was at this stage in Russian - all you can do is muddle
through
1 person has voted this message useful



Warp3
Senior Member
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 3644 days ago

1419 posts - 1765 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

 
 Message 1107 of 1511
04 February 2014 at 3:09am | IP Logged 
It would be nice if there were a shortcut, but the way you worded that is quite true. The only
way to get better at reading and typing Korean is by reading and typing Korean. I'm so used
to reading and typing Korean now that I can barely recall having to suffer through it a few
years ago, though I got a nice glimpse of the reading part when I was working on Japanese a
while back and was reading Kana so slowly it was frustrating (much like I was with Hangul
early on).
1 person has voted this message useful



tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
Senior Member
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 2816 days ago

5310 posts - 9398 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

 
 Message 1108 of 1511
04 February 2014 at 8:56am | IP Logged 
Warp3 wrote:
It would be nice if there were a shortcut, but the way you worded that
is quite true. The only
way to get better at reading and typing Korean is by reading and typing Korean. I'm so
used
to reading and typing Korean now that I can barely recall having to suffer through it a
few
years ago, though I got a nice glimpse of the reading part when I was working on
Japanese a
while back and was reading Kana so slowly it was frustrating (much like I was with
Hangul
early on).


The Hangul gives me less problems than "what does that word mean" and then you look it
up and it means "pervert" and no wonder you'd never come across it before.
1 person has voted this message useful



Evita
Tetraglot
Senior Member
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 4661 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

 
 Message 1109 of 1511
04 February 2014 at 9:00am | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
Today I tried to textchat in Korean. I hope people will have patience with me because I speak like a turtle so slow. It just takes me forever to decode and encode Korean at this point, but I remember when I was at this stage in Russian - all you can do is muddle through


I'm curious - did you textchat on Interpals or somewhere else?

As for me, the way I got used to typing in Korean was having an English - Korean Anki deck and requiring myself to type in the answer. I did this for more than half a year, I think, before I eventually decided that it was enough practice and abandoned the deck.
1 person has voted this message useful



tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
Senior Member
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 2816 days ago

5310 posts - 9398 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

 
 Message 1110 of 1511
04 February 2014 at 9:38am | IP Logged 
Evita wrote:
tarvos wrote:
Today I tried to textchat in Korean. I hope people will
have patience with me because I speak like a turtle so slow. It just takes me forever
to decode and encode Korean at this point, but I remember when I was at this stage in
Russian - all you can do is muddle through


I'm curious - did you textchat on Interpals or somewhere else?

As for me, the way I got used to typing in Korean was having an English - Korean Anki
deck and requiring myself to type in the answer. I did this for more than half a year,
I think, before I eventually decided that it was enough practice and abandoned the
deck.


This was om Skype but we met on Interpals, yes. She was talking about somebody else
(the gods be praised). I can't type quickly, but it's a matter of getting used to it. I
actually prefer typing Korean on my phone with Swype :)
1 person has voted this message useful



Warp3
Senior Member
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 3644 days ago

1419 posts - 1765 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

 
 Message 1111 of 1511
04 February 2014 at 12:44pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
The Hangul gives me less problems than "what does that word mean" and
then you look it up and it means "pervert" and no wonder you'd never come across it before.


Strangely enough I picked up that word (변태) fairly early on. According to Anki I created that
vocabulary card on Feb 23, 2011 (wow...nearly 3 years ago) after picking it up from an
episode of 지붕뚫고 하이킥 (a Korean sitcom). The same word can also mean (and
apparently originally means) "metamorphosis" (and it isn't just a homonym as they use the
same Hanja), so I have an Anki card with that meaning as well.
1 person has voted this message useful



tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
Senior Member
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 2816 days ago

5310 posts - 9398 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

 
 Message 1112 of 1511
05 February 2014 at 10:24am | IP Logged 
Trouvez les prépositions et les locutions prépositives: (y en a 13)

À l'instar des finlandais, on propose de construire un nouveau parc Angry Birds au lieu
d'une station d'épuration des eaux sur notre terrain communal libéré.

Par suite de la destruction du quartier, en face de notre manque d'eau potable, nous
avons reçu autant de plaintes sur cette manque, étant donné que tous les habitants
souffrent de déshydratation, en dépit de leur grands canisters d'eau fraîche importé
aux Pays-Bas, en signe de la réputation néerlandaise pour faire potable tous les
liquides méconnus.

Du côte de la grande dame de ville Mme Deplan, nous devons construire le parc - pour
avoir un divertissement pour les gens mal nourris, et doivent le situer le long de la
rivière Gramadan, de par sa capacité de répliquer des eaux non-salés chaque année, qui
peuvent nous servir comme source.

Edited by tarvos on 06 February 2014 at 11:49pm



1 person has voted this message useful



This discussion contains 1511 messages over 189 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189  Next >>


Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version

You cannot post new topics in this forum - You cannot reply to topics in this forum - You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum - You cannot create polls in this forum - You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page was generated in 0.5313 seconds.


DHTML Menu By Milonic JavaScript
Copyright 2019 FX Micheloud - All rights reserved
No part of this website may be copied by any means without my written authorization.