Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Tarvos - TAC 2015 Pushkin/Scan

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
1511 messages over 189 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 18 ... 188 189 Next >>
tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4457 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 137 of 1511
14 May 2012 at 9:29am | IP Logged 
Finally got round to doing TY Unit 14, but somehow it really is NOT sticking at all. It's not that I don't know the words (I do), it's not that I don't understand anything (I do), I just keep making niggly small mistakes that I know I don't need to make and it's putting me off. Also, it's about fashion. Sigh.

Blah.
1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4457 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 138 of 1511
16 May 2012 at 9:34am | IP Logged 
A couple of things. Not a big update, just one for the practicalities and little bits of progress I've made.

First of all, tonight will mark my 70th lesson of Assimil. That's 70 consecutive days of studying Assimil. This means that in June, I will definitely be finished with the passive wave of the book. By July/August, I should be done with the active wave as well meaning that by that time I expect to be able to use a B1-level vocabulary (ok the book states B2, but that's ridiculous since my Russian is below my French and I would hardly qualify my French as being B2, my French is a good solid B1 though). Because by this summer I will have hit the intermediate point - probably I will have finished TY and Colloquial as well by then (TY has 6 more units left and Colloquial 10, but there are some free days in the coming weeks that I can use to finish off what's left of these - and also once I get to the active wave, that will drop all the new vocabulary adding from Assimil into Anki, the exercises, etc - I'll just translate from Russian to English) which means that by June I should have more than enough time to get through what's left of my other materials - and by then I should be ready to study native materials and get on with doing... something else. Something new.

In other words, my discipline is serving me relatively well with regards to Russian and I'm starting to leave the initial stages of the language.

The goal is to elevate my French up to B2-C1ish by the end of this year. How realistic C1 is I don't know, but B2 by the end of this year is most definitely achievable - I think I might be edging closer every day. What's really lacking in my French is the sense of delicate grammar. I'm having to study "en", "y" etc for French class now - a subject I never really touched on, which should serve me well. Reading French is going better every day and I am halfway through Hygiene de l'Assassin - all in French. So if I can read a popular novel relatively easily in French, that means I know I'm on the right track. I probably should have started with this earlier since it's not like I tried. But hey, now we know.

What all this means is two things:

- German will not turn into a focus language this year. French may be progressing, but it's not as quick as I'm hoping. There will be some times for me to use German this year, but I don't expect to be able to seriously improve German before 2013 as only by then I'll have evaluated how much my French has gone up by that time. As it is, I've decided that I am always going to be studying (for now) two languages intensively:

the language that I am trying to learn to intermediate level, and one that was a maintenance language that I have some fluency in to a B2-minimum level. If it's B2 already then to C1, obviously. C1 is pretty much my target for every language that isn't Dutch or English because C2 is too time-intensive for me. I rather have more B-languages that I can use for a variety of things than 3 C2 and nothing else.

But since Russian will be entering Maintenance soon (through the Super Challenge which will be the thing to improve my reading and listening), that means I will stop having Russian as a beginner language.

Oh, you say....

Yes, exactly, that means there will be a new language in place by the time fall rolls around. And let it be the case that today I have bought the Routledge Introductory Course to Hebrew (or well ordered it online). So yes, ladies and gentlemen, as of this summer, I will start HEBREW! In the 6WC for August, Hebrew will be my focus language. And the last 6WC for this year is still undecided. I am suspecting that will be Russian again.

I also ordered a new French dictionary since I don't want to rely on my old broken one (which belongs to my parents, actually).

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4457 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 

Message 139 of 1511
18 May 2012 at 11:58pm | IP Logged 
I can relax on both sides of the tracks...

Русский язык

Я закончился урок 12 в Коллоквиале сегоня. Я тоже делал урок 72 (пассив) и 23 (актив) в Ассимиле. Конечно, все слова которые я не уже знал, я печатал их в Анки. Мне кажется, что у меня теперь вольше словарный сапас. Я нашёл, что русский язык не становится проще пока прогрессирует с нем. я тоже считаю что мне надо говорить более и более, и тоже мне нужно поехать в Россию на делать прогружение.

Я не знаю как можно преуспевать. Мои плани не конкретие, и я не подумал как я бы сделал, чтобы лучше говорить. Одна из моих подруг мне сказали, что она не сомневается, что я справюсь. А есть нет проблем быть медленно.

Практиковать, практиковатль, практиковать. Только это поможет мне. Я надеюсь что на год, я умею свободно гоборить по-русски.

Français:

J'ai pas seulement étudie le russe, mais j'ai aussi fait quelque chose pour améliorer mon français. Qu'est-ce que ça veut dire encore? Donc alors, j'ai encore reussi de lire un livre en français; cette fois, ça était <<Hygiène de l'Assassin>>, encore par Amélie Nothomb. Je trouve que ce livre était plus interessant que <<Antéchrista>>, et pas seulement parce que Antéchrista est trop court. Non, c'est aussi les themes qui sont traité dans <<Hygiène>> qui me vraiment plaît plus.

<<Hygiène>> s'agit d'un vieux écrivain, qui n'a plus que deux mois à vivre. Il est très misogynist et aussi un peu vulgaire, et il se passe le temps toute seule dans une vieille et grande maison (le lieu n'était pas précisé). Cet écrivain n'aime pas des gens du tout - il n'a aucun contact avec quelqu'un, sauf son secretaire et une infirmière. Il est aussi gros et laid et il se transporte par fauteuil roulant; il ne peut pas encore se promener. Mais le plus intéressant est qu'il a gagne le prix Nobel de littérature; donc faut-il avoir quelques entretiens avec des journalistes. Il souffre quatre; tous les journalistes decouvrent qu'il sont pas les interrogateurs, mais les interrogées du vieillard. Il se joue un jeu avec les pauvres gens (tous hommes), qui se partent la domicile en vomissant, en pleurant, ou en souffrant mentalement. Mais la cinquième journaliste est un femme - et elle succéde de donner une repartée contre l'écrivain. (Pour connaître le fin, je vous conseille de lire ce livre, naturellement).

Mais encore, les themes qui sont traités dans ce livre sont d'un origine psychologique. Le cruauté, le misogynisme, le cynisme sont montrés en grande façon par l'auteur, et tout le livre se passe tres vite en lisant. C'est facile, mais magnifique - les dialogues engagent, les personages sont intéressants et intrigants, et encore les lecteurs sont toujours invités de continuer grâce àu talent de Madame Nothomb.

Donc, pour ceux qui sont pas étudiants avancés en français (plutôt intermédiaire), je vous conseille de lire ce livre aujourd'hui. C'est pas trop difficile de comprenre ce livre et en plus ca vaudra donner le plaisir de savoir que c'est possible de lire en français si on a les doutes.

That's it for today, since my eyes can barely focus on the bloody screen. My French is clearly suffering.

Edited by tarvos on 19 May 2012 at 10:10am

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4453 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 
Speaks: English*, Dutch
Studies: French, Indonesian

Message 140 of 1511
19 May 2012 at 8:03am | IP Logged 
Just poking my head in, since you are often so kind as to correct my Dutch in my log.
Hygiène de l'Assassin sounds like an excellent book! Cranky, people-hating
protagonists are the best.

It's really fun to follow your progress with regard to activating your French. Good luck,
and, again, thank you for all your kind help.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6302 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 141 of 1511
19 May 2012 at 3:11pm | IP Logged 
Hey tarvos,

I thought I could offer you some corrections on your Russian text. I'm not a native Russian speaker and in fact I don't know Russian grammar that well (I only learned it at school and you know how useless that can be) but I learned Russian from watching TV and a little bit of immersion so I can often tell when something sounds wrong even if I don't know the reason why exactly it is wrong. So here are a few things:

tarvos wrote:
Русский язык

Я закончился урок 12 в Коллоквиале сегоня. Я тоже делал урок 72 (пассив) и 23 (актив) в Ассимиле. Конечно, все слова которые я не уже знал, я печатал их в Анки. Мне кажется, что у меня теперь вольше словарный сапас. Я нашёл, что русский язык не становится проще пока прогрессирует с нем. я тоже считаю что мне надо говорить более и более, и тоже мне нужно поехать в Россию на делать прогружение.

Я не знаю как можно преуспевать. Мои плани не конкретие, и я не подумал как я бы сделал, чтобы лучше говорить. Одна из моих подруг мне сказали, что она не сомневается, что я справюсь. А есть нет проблем быть медленно.

Практиковать, практиковатль, практиковать. Только это поможет мне. Я надеюсь что на год, я умею свободно гоборить по-русски.

закончился - this is a reflexive verb, indicated by the ending -ся, and it can't be followed by a direct object. I think none of the reflexive verbs can. In this case it should be simply 'закончил'.

тоже - I noticed you wrote this word several times in the text but it's wrong, it should be 'также' in your case. The simple rule is that 'тоже' is for connecting nouns and 'также' is for connecting verbs. You can read a more detailed explanation here.

делал - did you mean you worked on those lessons or you finished them? If you finished them it should be 'сделал'.

я не уже знал - two things wrong here. First, the word order is not correct, it should 'be я уже не знал'. The negation of a verb is very rarely removed from it, if ever. The second thing is that 'уже' is not the right word in this situation. Maybe I'm wrong but I think 'ещё' would be more appropriate.

я печатал - I think a finished action verb might be more appropriate here. Perhaps 'я ввёл' (from ввести)?

у меня теперь вольше словарный сапас - this doesn't sound right but I'm not sure what is. I'm pretty sure though that 'больше' should be followed by a different case. Maybe this would be better: у меня теперь больше словарного запаса. Hmm, it still doesn't sound quite right but I don't have any other ideas, sorry.

Я нашёл - this is grammatically correct but it's the wrong thing to say. You can say it if you were looking for something and finally found it but it doesn't work in an abstract sense like it does in English.

пока прогрессирует с нем - I'm not sure what you wanted to say here but this doesn't sound right. In any case, the 'с' should be 'в'.

мне нужно поехать в Россию на делать прогружение - if you want to specify the reason you need to go to Russia you should use 'чтобы'. Also, I'm not sure what you mean by 'прогружение' (is that even a real word?) but I'm quite sure it's wrong here.

Я не знаю как можно преуспевать - я не знаю, как мне все [это] успеть (if you wanted to say 'I don't know how to manage to do all this')

Мои плани не конкретие - мои планы не конкретные (I think)

я не подумал как я бы сделал, чтобы лучше говорить - argh, this is frustrating. I know this is wrong but I don't know how to fix it. I'm not even sure what you wanted to say here. One correct thing to say would be this: я еще не думал много о том, как улучшить мою способность говорить по-русски.

Одна из моих подруг мне сказали - the verb needs to be in the singular feminine form, so - сказала

А есть нет проблем быть медленно - this doesn't make any sense

Практиковать, практиковатль, практиковать - this is a tricky one. This word is more often used in a slightly different meaning, like 'to practice law' or 'to practice medicine' or 'to practice yoga'. I suppose you could also use it to say you want to practice English but then you should specify a direct object after the word. But I don't think we ever used this word in this sense at school, we always said 'упражняться'. I think it is more common.

на год - this is wrong. If you want to say 'in a year' you should say 'через год'.

я умею свободно гоборить по-русски - you need the future tense here, which is 'буду уметь' (I think).

I hope you are not daunted by all these mistakes. Considering how long you've been studying Russian I'd say your level is pretty good.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4457 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 

Message 142 of 1511
19 May 2012 at 4:42pm | IP Logged 
Haha, no worries, I know my vocabulary is lacking. About the word you mentioned - it does exist, I found it in the Oxford dictionary - I just made a typo: it is погружение.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4457 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 

Message 143 of 1511
22 May 2012 at 1:06pm | IP Logged 
J'ai encore pas fait trop d'études les dernières journées. Ce que j'ai fait était surtout une continuation des thèmes et sujets qui m'a vraiment occupés la dernière mois. Donc, une recapitulation:

J'ai continue comme d'habitude avec Assimil (Le russe sans peine, evidemment, mais c'est encore l'édition anglais - j'ai pas encore eu la confiance d'essayer à apprendre une langue avec une livre de texte écrit dans une langage étrangère pour moi. Il me semble qu'il y aura une chance de le faire bientôt. Ceci ce n'est pas un cas d'arrogance, mais il me semble que le progrès que j'ai fait en français me donnera le capacité d'utiliser le français en étudiant une langue étrangere (et c'est une bonne coincidence que ma methode préférée, c'est l'Assimil, qui sort des livres pour les francophones... quelle occasion magnifique!). Donc une méthode qui je pourrai utiliser c'est d'apprendre des autres langues en étudiant des éditions dirigéant vers la francophonie. Bien sûr je veux recevoir un peu de feedback en retour - donc c'est evident que l'Assimil ne sera pas ma seule ressource.

Concernant le russe, je suis arrivé à finir la 75ème leçon (et aussi 26ème si on compte l'onde passive, et pourquoi pas, hein?) lesson hier. Ce soir, il faudra étudier la 76ème. Et bien sur, j'ai pas encore oublié aucun jour d'étudier Assimil d'après la reception.

J'ai aussi été notifié que ma dictionnaire français va arriver bientôt. Quand même, je ne sais pas ou le magazin numérique où j'ai achéte la dictionnaire envoyera le livre ensemble avec mon niveau livre de texte hébreu, ou que le magazin les séparera. Si c'est le premier cas, ma dictionnaire s'arrive plus tard.

J'ai aussi commandé Stupeur et Tremblements (encore par Amélie Nothomb - une thème se révèle ici?????) et ce livre va arriver bientôt aussi.

Donc ce qui me reste à faire aujourd'hui c'est de finir Teach Yourself Complete Russian. J'ai un peu horreur de ce finir parce que en comparaison avec Assimil, c'est vraiment mal, et en comparaison avec une plus vieille edition de Colloquial c'est aussi mal (particulièrement parce que TY m'apprend pas trop de vocabulaire - et même les mots qui sont appris se concerne toujours les choses qui aidera les touristes ou des gens qui ont pas le temps de faire un apprentissage profond).

Il me reste aussi dix chapitres de Colloquiale, mais ces chapitres contient BEAUCOUP d'information et donc il me prendra beaucoup de temps avant les finir - je n'espère que je finirai avec Colloquial avant le fin de juillet ou même mi-août avec mon rythme maintenant.

Mes expectations sont que je vais compléter l'onde passive d'Assimil en mi-juin. Le temps qui sera libré avec pas encore étudier les leçons passive vont encore être utilisé pour faire les autres materiales.

Ça compte pas mes études du français, mais en géneral mon français c'est moins important d'apprendre. Je vais continuer avec attendre mes courses, écrire regulièrement en français et lire regulièrement en français. La seule problème que j'ai pas résolu c'est comment d'implementer la language orale (parlant et ecoutant) mais je suis sûr qu'on arrive à trouver une solution agréable pour moi.

Edited by tarvos on 22 May 2012 at 1:06pm

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4457 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 

Message 144 of 1511
25 May 2012 at 11:25pm | IP Logged 

смотрите, все!

Это мой первый видео на русском! Я хочу получить критики, комментары, всё!

Я знаю что я делал много ошибок, это не проблема. Просто скажите мне что мне надо делать, чтобы прогрессировать!

This discussion contains 1511 messages over 189 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version